Computers & Electronics

My i7 5930k is now bad. How do I proceed for warranty?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2018 8:42 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5465 posts
3674 upvotes
North York
apvm wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:26 am
If there is no error then you know it is not your cpu and likely windows media or some odd drivers that is preventing you from installing windows.
I'll give another shot. But don't see why, 2 motherboards, multiple gpus, rams, PSUs, NVMe, ssds, hdds. Even different installation usb sticks, still same. All of these are still properly functional in all other systems right now.
Jan 12, 2017
235 posts
73 upvotes
Just for curiosity, have you ever tried to load up a Linux Live o/s from a disk?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
22910 posts
3267 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:17 pm
Is this the original box that they are talking about? Who keeps such a box?
I always do but I don't think they need the original box; instead, they just need to make sure it was a retail-box CPU you purchased and not an OEM one, as previously stated. As long as you did indeed buy a boxed processor you should be fine. You can contact them again for clarification but I'm pretty sure that's all they are saying.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5465 posts
3674 upvotes
North York
Just an update: So I sent the CPU back to Intel on Thursday morning (Feb 1) using Purolator which cost $30.
Arrived at Intel Center in Kentucky on Monday late afternoon - early evening. I received an email that they'd validate my RMA
4 hours later, they SHIPPED out my replacement, a brand new i7 5930k using UPS. And it arrived at my door 12 hours later (midday yesterday). Declared value was $594, but I did not get dinged with customs, brokage - I guess it is because it was marked as "Return"

Turn around time was a total of 3 Business days. I am very impressed with Intel RMA service. Unlike the ASUS one, which still make me sick thinking of it.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16472 posts
2135 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 11:14 am
.Unlike the ASUS one, which still make me sick thinking of it.
Yeah Asus is awful... I tend to avoid their motherboards if possible.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1107 posts
360 upvotes
London
konsensei wrote:
Just an update: So I sent the CPU back to Intel on Thursday morning (Feb 1) using Purolator which cost $30.
Arrived at Intel Center in Kentucky on Monday late afternoon - early evening. I received an email that they'd validate my RMA
4 hours later, they SHIPPED out my replacement, a brand new i7 5930k using UPS. And it arrived at my door 12 hours later (midday yesterday). Declared value was $594, but I did not get dinged with customs, brokage - I guess it is because it was marked as "Return"

Turn around time was a total of 3 Business days. I am very impressed with Intel RMA service. Unlike the ASUS one, which still make me sick thinking of it.
odd that intel made u pay to ship it back. i rmaed a intel xeon chip last year and intel mail me a pre paid ups shipping label for ups 2 day shipping to get the cpu back to them. then they shipped me a bandnew cpu.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5465 posts
3674 upvotes
North York
aaron158 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 4:02 pm
odd that intel made u pay to ship it back. i rmaed a intel xeon chip last year and intel mail me a pre paid ups shipping label for ups 2 day shipping to get the cpu back to them. then they shipped me a bandnew cpu.
Damn really? I'll shoot them an email
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1107 posts
360 upvotes
London
konsensei wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 4:36 pm
Damn really? I'll shoot them an email
ya seemed like a huge waste of money rather then email me label they had ups ship the label to me in an envelope from there warehouse in the us. the label paid for me to ship the cpu to them. then they paid to ship the new cpu to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1294 posts
546 upvotes
GTA
Congrats on getting a brand new CPU problem free. Thats nice to hear. Sad about ASUS and the motherboard fiasco. Guess they are getting a boycott from me.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8374 posts
1590 upvotes
London
heyyahblah wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 4:48 pm
Congrats on getting a brand new CPU problem free. Thats nice to hear. Sad about ASUS and the motherboard fiasco. Guess they are getting a boycott from me.
Have two Asus monitors still under warranty. Hope nothing will happen to them.
Feb 14, 2009
997 posts
336 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
.... a brand new i7 5930k using UPS....
....so... does it work?
or original problem was in something else?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5465 posts
3674 upvotes
North York
tequilla wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 6:51 am
....so... does it work?
or original problem was in something else?
yup. tested on the old ASRock Taichi board.
Booted to Windows, ran some stress tests for a few hours, no problem so far.

I also disassembled my trusted set MSI X99 + i7 6950x to test/confirm the bad CPU before I sent out (that was why I didn't send out the RMA until Feb 1). Did a quick run on this MSi board with the new CPU as well, and no issue.

Tested my ASUS board, that they have now returned to me, with both new 5930k and 6950x, same issues as when I sent the board in (AT LEAST, IT DIDN'T GET WORSE). So now I am not really sure what to do with the ASUS board, and still no response from either BBB or Asus Mr Robert Tinsley since last week.

Anyway, I can confirm that I did have both CPU and Board that went bad on me, and one of that is now fixed.