[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
2093 posts
1476 upvotes
Toronto

My investment expierence over the past 2~3 years

Total cash injection: approximately $20,000

Market value as of today: approximately $15,000, so a net return of -5k or -25%.

Biggest gains come from two sources:

1, natural growth Bombardier, Inc.

https://finance.google.ca/finance?q=TSE%3ABBD.B

2, a put option on Concordia International Corp that allowed me to sell 700 shares at $12 on Sep 16, 2016 when it was trading at around $7.

Biggest losses come from two sources:

Concordia International Corp

https://finance.google.ca/finance?q=TSE:CXR

and

Eldorado Gold Corp

https://finance.google.ca/finance?q=TSE%3AELD

I currently have:

approximately 3000 shares of Bombardier
approximately 1000 shares of Concordia International Corp
approximately 1000 shares of Eldorado Gold Corp
approximately 150 shares of Seven Generations Energy Ltd
https://finance.google.ca/finance?q=TSE%3AVII

I don't blame you if you think my portfolio is not diversified very well, but it is a much more balanced portfolio than some of my historical snapshots:

on Thursday, August 18, 2016, I had: 400 shares of Concordia International Corp and 300 shares of Valeant Pharmaceuticals Intl Inc, so I was 100% invested in pharmaceutical, if I just let my portfolio sit there, I would only have less than $6500.

https://finance.google.ca/finance?q=TSE%3AVRX

My point is, I think I am getting slightly better than I was at the beginning but my style is still gambler-ish.

My trading activities have cost me roughly $700 in terms of transaction charges. (options cost more than stocks of course, but overall approximately $7 per trade)

Thank you for your time, hope I can climb out of this hole of -$5k I dug myself into.
It's always good to be underestimated.---Donald Trump

I never downvote anyone and I try to help everyone.
30 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3187 posts
512 upvotes
Glancealot wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:46 pm
My point is, I think I am getting slightly better than I was at the beginning but my style is still gambler-ish.
I would dump it all and stick with CCP, sorry dude, but your stock picking sucks.
No semiconductors, no FANGs, no weed === no love.

p.s. Since you're capital deprived, depending on your risk profile and time horizon, I would stick with one investment that is reasonably diversified
For example, BRK.B or FDN (First Trust Dow Jones Internet Index), worse would be single stock GOOGL.
The trick is to save and buy more shares every 3-6-12 months
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
4304 posts
3260 upvotes
Glancealot wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:46 pm
Total cash injection: approximately $20,000

Market value as of today: approximately $15,000, so a net return of -5k or -25%.

Biggest gains come from two sources:

1, natural growth Bombardier, Inc.

https://finance.google.ca/finance?q=TSE%3ABBD.B

2, a put option on Concordia International Corp that allowed me to sell 700 shares at $12 on Sep 16, 2016 when it was trading at around $7.

Biggest losses come from two sources:

Concordia International Corp

https://finance.google.ca/finance?q=TSE:CXR

and

Eldorado Gold Corp

https://finance.google.ca/finance?q=TSE%3AELD

I currently have:

approximately 3000 shares of Bombardier
approximately 1000 shares of Concordia International Corp
approximately 1000 shares of Eldorado Gold Corp
approximately 150 shares of Seven Generations Energy Ltd
https://finance.google.ca/finance?q=TSE%3AVII

I don't blame you if you think my portfolio is not diversified very well, but it is a much more balanced portfolio than some of my historical snapshots:

on Thursday, August 18, 2016, I had: 400 shares of Concordia International Corp and 300 shares of Valeant Pharmaceuticals Intl Inc, so I was 100% invested in pharmaceutical, if I just let my portfolio sit there, I would only have less than $6500.

https://finance.google.ca/finance?q=TSE%3AVRX

My trading activities have cost me roughly $700 in terms of transaction charges. (options cost more than stocks of course, but overall approximately $7 per trade)

Thank you for your time, hope I can climb out of this hole of -$5k I dug myself into.
If you're on accumulation phase, you need growth / momentum stocks. Also, don't be exposed to a single or few sectors only. Maximum growth can be achieved with trading techniques on other asset classes, such as crypto currencies, volatility and comodites futures. If you have the time to babysit tradings, add options into the mix.

You also need to change your brokerage $7 per trade is robbery. Interactive Brokers is a much better option.

Rod
Everything about my Investing and automated Trading strategies to boost your income: https://boostyourincome.ca
Aug 22, 2012
97 posts
79 upvotes
Mark Town
do not put most money on Canadian stocks. I feel that there are probably fewer than 20 stocks worth to consider in Canadian market. In US it is more than 100 stocks.

If have bought DOW component stocks instead you would have received much better return in the past two years.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1907 posts
665 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I've bought some crappy companies in the last few years as well, on the premise they are cheap. Generally though things are cheap for good reasons.

Moving forward I'm trying to focus on buying quality at reasonable prices rather than cheap things.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3187 posts
512 upvotes
treva84 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:52 pm
I've bought some crappy companies in the last few years as well, on the premise they are cheap. Generally though things are cheap for good reasons.

Moving forward I'm trying to focus on buying quality at reasonable prices rather than cheap things.
my thinking too. I still have penny crap on my sheets as a reminder to stay away from cheapo stocks
speaking of Dow, I would argue UTX and DIS are good buys right now. Potentially good are UNH and INTC.
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4969 posts
309 upvotes
Markham
Looking at the 4 names, Bombardier and Valeant are up 50+% this year.

Heck, Valeant is up almost 40% from last Friday...so I think there are definitely swing trade opportunities even with out-of-favour names
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
2093 posts
1476 upvotes
Toronto
sherwoodRFD wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:49 pm
If have bought DOW component stocks instead you would have received much better return in the past two years.
well if I bought bitcoin instead, I would probably be on a yacht somewhere instead of at work right now...

wife manages all of our other savings, this $20K is basically my "play money". she put all of our savings into TFSA and invest in GICs that barely beat inflation, she also wants to pay off our mortgage as soon as possible, I cringe at her investment choices, but hey, she is not losing money at least.

I trade for fun. owning stocks makes getting up in the morning and going to work a lot easier, and that adrenaline rush you get from big daily swings of a concentrated portfolio is addictive!

Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1687 posts
649 upvotes
Montreal
Your portfolio is terrible. You are gambling not investing.

Stop gambling, sell all your investment and invest your money in a low cost diversified portfolio using index ETFs/funds. In 20 years you will be happy you did.
Jul 2, 2008
107 posts
7 upvotes
20K as play money..
that would pay off a bill for me if you have it in a dividend paying stock.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
2093 posts
1476 upvotes
Toronto
rufryda wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:26 pm
20K as play money..
that would pay off a bill for me if you have it in a dividend paying stock.
well...I don't mean it that way. it's still a lot of money. my wife would bitch about it at least once every two weeks.

my point was simply that we would survive even if I lost all of it, it is money that I can afford to lose, albeit it would be extremely painful if I lost all of it due to a market crash: probably the blow to my personal ego would be as severe as the financial blow.

Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
1285 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
I think your strategy wasn't very well executed.

Right now, most of my portfolio is in bank stocks couch potato stuff, 20% are in stocks. Because I have 80% in relatively safe holdings, I can "gamble" with the 20%.

I think if you're not a competent day trader/manager, this is the best strategy to go with. I know CPP is super boring, but guess what, it works. So i would stick to CPP strategy and then allocate 10-20% in the "fun" stuff. At least that way if/when you lose out on a stock, you have the rest of your portfolio to make up for it.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4859 posts
734 upvotes
Glancealot wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:02 pm
I trade for fun. owning stocks makes getting up in the morning and going to work a lot easier, and that adrenaline rush you get from big daily swings of a concentrated portfolio is addictive!
Upvotes for you for your honesty, and your "glass half full" mentality.

How much time do you spend on research/reading about investment strategies? Your choices are unusual...but hey, if it's part of the learning process, then it's not a total loss. Unfortunately, you have incurred overall losses during a bull market, which is not a good sign.

As far as I can tell, for Canadian investments, either a) low-cost index funds (#1 best returns for minimal research/work required) OR b) a buy-and-hold quality stocks strategy are the easiest to not screw up.

For US and international... index is amazing, at least on the way up.

I think you should read The Millionaire Teacher (lots of availability from the Toronto Public Library) for the excellent reasons why. The index strategy is what Warren Buffett also recommends for the majority of investors.
Dec 13, 2005
199 posts
50 upvotes
Take a breather. Park your money somewhere like an index fund for a year and paper trade instead. Find some new techniques as your current approach is not working. Spend the year learning about technical and fundamental approaches to trading that don't rely on headline news. If and when you have a solid year paper trading, then use real money.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
1081 posts
267 upvotes
$20k invested in the S&P 500 index Nov 1 2014 and left alone would have been worth $31k today.