• Nov 15th, 2017 12:29 pm
Tags:
None
May 3, 2015
153 posts
70 upvotes
bubak wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:51 am
$20k invested in the S&P 500 index Nov 1 2014 and left alone would have been worth $31k today.
Yes, but where's the adrenaline rush?!?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3187 posts
512 upvotes
hot tip - buy OSTK. Seems like traders are pushing it higher... day trading only
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Aug 10, 2015
227 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
OP you gotta realize that 90% of RFD just pray to the ETF gods and any other form of investing is forbidden Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 1, 2008
156 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
There is a reason why the vast majority of mutual funds under perform the market and those managers are supposed to be trained professionals. Furthermore, ive read that about 95% of day traders fail over the long run much like gamblers. You could be the 5% but chances are unlikely that to be the case. If this is your dream than go for it as you could potentially be the 5% and it sounds like this is just play money for you so whats the harm in getting that thrill. I trade stocks as well but 70% of my portfolio is passive investing. The smart thing for me to do would be to put it all in passive investing as i am under performing that portion but life is about challenge.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1024 posts
183 upvotes
Ontario
My best advice is to buy better stocks. Bombardier? failing business. Concordia - same thing. Seven Generations Energy - never heard of it. Eldorado Gold - why?

If you are after "exciting" investing, buy exciting companies. Had you purchased the obvious exciting stocks (Amazon, Tesla, Facebook, Alibaba, whatever) you would have done very well over the past 3 years, probably doubling your money.

Stop bottom feeding on garbage companies. Either decide to invest in good solid businesses, or growth/momentum, or some mixture of the two. The buying terrible companies and then hoping they become less terrible is not a winning strategy.
Oct 19, 2016
393 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
With OP's strategy he has a good chance to make a lot of money or lose a lot... which one will it be ? Only time will tell.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
4103 posts
1347 upvotes
It's a shame you didn't invest in cryptos like me. If i hadnt done that, my performance would probably have been similar to yours, as i'm very aggressive.

No yachts.
But not a wage slave anymore. Dont care about rrsp tfsa . No worries about money.
Oct 29, 2015
35 posts
12 upvotes
mathiewannabe wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:52 am
It's a shame you didn't invest in cryptos like me. If i hadnt done that, my performance would probably have been similar to yours, as i'm very aggressive.

No yachts.
But not a wage slave anymore. Dont care about rrsp tfsa . No worries about money.
When did you invest?
How much did you invest?
Which crypto did you buy and why?

What's driving a Porsche like?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
4103 posts
1347 upvotes
DecayHeat wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:47 am
When did you invest?
How much did you invest?
Which crypto did you buy and why?

What's driving a Porsche like?
No porsche. Im very frugal yet still young mid late 20s.

Always had little money in cryptos since 2013. But liquidated my tfsa and put beginning of this yr to increase more crypto exposure.

Let me put it this way.

Networth beginning of 2017 ( not including my condo appreciation bc it's still in precon) : less than 50k usd for sure.

Worth now: many millions.
Oct 29, 2015
35 posts
12 upvotes
mathiewannabe wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:56 am

Always had little money in cryptos since 2013. But liquidated my tfsa and put beginning of this yr to increase more crypto exposure.

Let me put it this way.

Networth beginning of 2017 ( not including my condo appreciation bc it's still in precon) : less than 50k usd for sure.

Incredible thanks for the reply!
S I'm assuming you cashed out from your cryptos?

Congratulations!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
2086 posts
1475 upvotes
Toronto
mathiewannabe wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:56 am

Let me put it this way.

good for you! although bitcoin only grew by 550% YTD in 2017 so even if you had 50K, you'd still only have 275K, not even 0.5 million. so maybe you got the dates wrong.
It's always good to be underestimated.---Donald Trump

I never downvote anyone and I try to help everyone.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
4103 posts
1347 upvotes
DecayHeat wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 11:08 am
Incredible thanks for the reply!
S I'm assuming you cashed out from your cryptos?

Congratulations!
Of course not. I cashed out living expenses in fiat for the next 3-4 years. What i cashed out is negligible.(Less than daily volatility)

Glancealot wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 11:08 am
good for you! although bitcoin only grew by 550% YTD in 2017 so even if you had 50K, you'd still only have 275K, not even 0.5 million. so maybe you got the dates wrong.
Altcoins.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
2086 posts
1475 upvotes
Toronto
mathiewannabe wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 11:16 am
Altcoins.
I see...balls of steel man.
It's always good to be underestimated.---Donald Trump

I never downvote anyone and I try to help everyone.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
4103 posts
1347 upvotes
Glancealot wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 11:48 am
I see...balls of steel man.
Not if you know what you're doing. Stocks u listed require more balls to hold imo.

Thing i always tell people is that it's never too late.

I had many arguments with rfd members but it will go nowhere. Most of ppl are idiots who never admit it. But we're all idiots in some aspects, some more than others so dont get offended if ur a pc person.

Most people are better to just buy bitcoins, if they want exposure to this crypto space. Altcoins will always return highest appreciation % while btc will always remain a safer bluechip asset.

Dont have any crypto? Well, then u are missing out on everything.