• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2010 10:29 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
19 upvotes

My landlord won't provide me with a rent receipt and I only paid in cash

I'm entitled to the Ontario Property Tax Credit because my income was less than $20,000 last year.

I'm renting a room in a house with my girlfriend for now. I don't pay alot of money but I'm thinking it would be nice to get that credit. I'm embarrassed to ask the man who owns the house for a receipt because I've never asked for one before and we've always paid in cash. I checked with the Residential Tenancies Act (Ontario) and our living arrangement is exempt from that act because we share his kitchen. We also share the bathroom. So there is no legal requirement for the owner of the house to provide a receipt and he can't be forced to provide it.

Now I see that I should have paid by cheque. I won't apply for the credit because I won't have the receipt to back it up in case they check later and I don't want to have to pay that money back with interest later.

I've already checked and you have to keep your receipt in case they check your return later.

I like where I am living and I don't want to upset anyone.
26 replies
Feb 8, 2010
326 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
So you know he won't issue you a receipt yet you are too embarrassed to ask?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3898 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto
why would you be embarrassed to ask? and why do you assume that he wont issue you a receipt?

you should be embarrassed to post such nonsense on here

do you get a better deal if you pay him cash?? if not then why are you paying cash? and not even getting a receipt

i refuse to believe that they dont have to provide you with any sort of receipt
you pay for something such as rent, you should have to be provided with some type of receipt

show link to where it says they dont have to give you a receipt

if you are too much of a pussy to ask for a receipt then i cant feel any bit sorry for you.
Just dont say things like your landlord wont give it to you, if you havent even asked
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
I wonder if the motivation behind this tax credit is so more landlords are forced to provide receipts and claim the rental income.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
143 upvotes
SC
i won the lottery
but i lost my ticket

and i feel too embarrassed to tell them
so i guess my loss eh?

but really, you should just ask him if he's putting in your rent as income.
if he says no then, you don't win or lose anything.
if he says yes, then hey u can ask for a receipt.
Jan 31, 2010
116 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
You will need to provide a letter/ receipts or cancelled cheques if they choose to audit. My landlady in uni gave me a letter when I was audited. You need some sort of paper trail.
Oct 2, 2005
370 posts
9 upvotes
xlfe wrote:
Feb 18th, 2010 4:16 pm
but really, you should just ask him if he's putting in your rent as income.
if he says no then, you don't win or lose anything.
If the landlord admits not declaring the rent, then it would be fair that the landlord compensates the tenant for the equivalent amount which he would have got as a tax rebate.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11224 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
Owner probably does not want to show rental income and does not want to give a receipt.

Proper way is to have a legalized appartment (means everything in the place is up to code), provide lease info, rent receipt, etc.

Owner can then claim the rent info and offset expenses like gas, hydro, water, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5033 posts
1273 upvotes
Well, if you're getting a good deal on the space, and get along with the man (after all, you do SHARE your living space so you don't want to create a weird situation), please understand he may want to not declare this income.

But, as others said, don't ASSUME he doesn't. Maybe he does and then he should agree to give you a receipt NP.
Just don't insist if he says he can't do it.

I used to rent a space to a buddy of mine, I charged him about half of the going rate for a comparable appartment in the same area. Obviously, I enjoyed sharing my living space with someone I knew and who had a good job and paid every month without questions/problems, gave him a good deal in return, but obviously never gave him any receipt and no lease was ever signed. It's just commom sense that it's part of such an arrangement.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
1637 posts
290 upvotes
Vancouver
why not just file the claim, and then ask the landlord for paperwork only if the government requests it?

then you either get the credit, or worse case you don't (which is what your planning to do anyways)

.... and start paying by cheque moving forward

ps i don't know anything about this tax credit as i'm not in ontario, so i'm unaware if they request additional info on ALL such claims.
Mar 23, 2004
33096 posts
2100 upvotes
Markham
kaycee8877 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2010 7:22 pm
why not just file the claim, and then ask the landlord for paperwork only if the government requests it?

then you either get the credit, or worse case you don't (which is what your planning to do anyways)
well then he will have to pay interest instead of just not getting the credit.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
130 upvotes
kaycee8877 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2010 7:22 pm

.... and start paying by cheque moving forward
That's what I would do. I'd ask the landlord for the receipt first, and if he refuses then claim it anyways.

The OP is in control. If he claims it, then the CCRA will look at the landlords return to see if he claimed the rental income. If he didn't claim the rental income then it's the landlords problem now. All the OP has to do is tell the CCRA the truth - the landlord refused to issue a receipt when he paid by cash. The OP will have the CCRA working for him from this point on.

The worst that can happen is the CCRA will get lazy and simply deny the rental expense claim. But they won't do that, they'd rather look into the guy with unclaimed rental income.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5033 posts
1273 upvotes
Paulfistinyourface wrote:
Feb 18th, 2010 7:36 pm
That's what I would do. I'd ask the landlord for the receipt first, and if he refuses then claim it anyways.

The OP is in control. If he claims it, then the CCRA will look at the landlords return to see if he claimed the rental income. If he didn't claim the rental income then it's the landlords problem now. All the OP has to do is tell the CCRA the truth - the landlord refused to issue a receipt when he paid by cash. The OP will have the CCRA working for him from this point on.

The worst that can happen is the CCRA will get lazy and simply deny the rental expense claim. But they won't do that, they'd rather look into the guy with unclaimed rental income.
Which comes out to what I said earlier: do you want to be an a$$ or do you want to be fair? Assuming you get along with the man.

Why would you assume the CRA will go after the landlord anyway? That's PURE speculation. The CRA will go after the person who tried to claim rental expense without valid proof. Papers mean everything to the CRA. It's up to YOU to provide the necessary proof to claim anything on your taxes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
19 upvotes
I've been in a situation before where I put in a claim only to have it denied because I couldn't provide written proof to back it up and thought I would never do that again.

It doesn't make sense to claim something if you don't have the receipts to back them up. I've heard of people declaring daycare costs that they never had receipts for and their claims were disallowed.

It's your obligation as a tenant to make sure you get a receipt for cash paid but when you're living under the same roof with someone it makes things alot different. I could get asked to leave within 24 hours and there wouldn't be anything I could do about that.

Anyway, the rent I paid is only around $300 a month and I don't want to create any hassles.
× < >