Tags:
None
Sep 7, 2010
12 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

My license expires before I can get full G

Hey,

So I got my G1 in 2007, and only recently got my G2. I thought that the expiry date would extend, but apparantly thats not the case.

My license expires in 11 months and I have to wait 12 months to take the full G. Was just wondering if its possible to get an extension for a bit, or to do the test earlier.

Or do I have to do the whole G1, G2 thing all over again?
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
8844 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
book your licence when u can, what is it 4 months before??! and they will giving u a licence JUST for that day
RFD 33-0-0
Ebay 18-0-0

|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2009
1082 posts
9 upvotes
You can just pay $75 to get a 5 year extension. Not a problem at all.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1522 posts
65 upvotes
I heard something about if you book your G test before your G2 expires, then even if it expires, you can still take that test (or something of the like). but once it expires and you plan to take a test a year later, then no cigar. you have to legitimately have something that would have stopped you from getting your G sooner.. i had a friend who got his G after his G2 expired.
May 27, 2007
15654 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto
Questionz wrote:
Sep 30th, 2010 7:02 pm
I heard something about if you book your G test before your G2 expires, then even if it expires, you can still take that test (or something of the like). but once it expires and you plan to take a test a year later, then no cigar. you have to legitimately have something that would have stopped you from getting your G sooner.. i had a friend who got his G after his G2 expired.

yeah. something like that.
i think you can book an appointment for your G test before your license expires, and if you pass it then you can renew it. but if you fail you have to start over?
not too sure.

maybe just pay the renew fee.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
Needinghelp wrote:
Sep 30th, 2010 6:51 pm
You can just pay $75 to get a 5 year extension. Not a problem at all.
Uh no.

If he had a G licence, he can pay the 75 to get an "extension" of sorts. But since he's still in the graduating system, he can't pay 75 to get an extension on his G2.

He has to either retake the G2 or take his G.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
1165 posts
72 upvotes
My friend only had her G1 and it was about to expire. They told her if she passed the test, she could extend it by another 5 years instead of starting from the beginning. She passed and paid the $75 for the extension. No problem.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37795 posts
795 upvotes
Richmond Hill
45ED wrote:
Sep 30th, 2010 7:14 pm
Uh no.

If he had a G licence, he can pay the 75 to get an "extension" of sorts. But since he's still in the graduating system, he can't pay 75 to get an extension on his G2.

He has to either retake the G2 or take his G.

Wouldn't he have to go back to G1?
Check out my BST Threads!Silver Coins
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1775 posts
174 upvotes
cmackie wrote:
Sep 30th, 2010 7:43 pm
My friend only had her G1 and it was about to expire. They told her if she passed the test, she could extend it by another 5 years instead of starting from the beginning. She passed and paid the $75 for the extension. No problem.

I've heard about the same thing. Didn't know about the fee though.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2010
12 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
cmackie wrote:

Was this before she took the G2? I didn't know there wasn't a date extention until I got my license. Can I still pay the $75 and get it extended?
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
2617 posts
165 upvotes
Mississauga
I think if you were to pass your G2 in the last year of your 5 year period. Where you don't have 12 months to wait and get G, then they will renew your license for 5 years.
In OP's case, I would have thought they'd give you an extension...
Aug 10, 2008
189 posts
20 upvotes
Kingston
cmackie wrote:
Dexter88 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2010 8:34 pm
Was this before she took the G2? I didn't know there wasn't a date extention until I got my license. Can I still pay the $75 and get it extended?

I did my G1 exit test and got my G2 about 2 months before it was due to expire. I paid $75 when I passed the test and I had 5 more years to get my G. I got G1 in October 2003, G2 in August 2008. New expiry date was October 2013. Got my G in Jan 2010.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4150 posts
151 upvotes
North York
You have 4 years to do something that can be accomplished in a minimum of less than 2 years. With the exception of people affected by the strike, why do people leave things for the last minute like the OP? I failed the tests several times (for stupid mistakes) and still managed to have my G in less than 3 years. :confused:
Korean girlfriends? Learn to Google? Save money?
What RFD can do for you?

If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
× < >