Home & Garden

My neighbor wants me to pay them labour costs, for fixing a fencing violation we share without ever discussing with me

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2019 3:47 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2019
36 posts
8 upvotes

My neighbor wants me to pay them labour costs, for fixing a fencing violation we share without ever discussing with me

Long story short.
My neighbor and I share a fence. It is on the property line. Basically, it was found to violate city bylaws. We were told by the city to have it removed,
or else we will be fined each. This had to be done by a deadline.

it was nearly impossible to get a hold of them. So I called the city, and he said I could remove it without their permission, since the fence is a safety violation,
and both of us share this responsibility.

I tried contacting them to discuss the situation again. I told him in an email that I could hire a contractor and we split the costs. IFinally they answered. Instead, they said they would do it themselves:
My husband can do it, it's so simple
. Their words.


I thought great. They can take care of that, and I won't have to worry.

They put it off. So I contacted them, saying I am gonna have to send someone to fix the fence, since deadline was coming and I didn't want to get fined.
They said they will get it done on deadline and
"there is no need to send someone, I will take have my husband do it".
I said if it is not done, I will do it.

Finally, deadline came, and fence is still the same. I then sent my person come over the next day to take it apart to fix it. I was not gonna bother asking them to reimburse labour costs, since I just wanted to get the fence done with and not fined They said
"no, put it back, my husband will do it today. I had to go to the hospital".
They did fix the fence, but now are demanding money for their labour because they are upset. They are very possessive of this fence because they sent me a text saying:
I did not give you permission to touch my fence
but this isn't their fence. it is on the property line, which is why i am was gonna get fined if it wasn't solved. It is shared.


the fix did not involve any material costs. it just involved removing a few boards. they basically just unscrewed the bolts and took down a few boards.

So I never agreed to paying anything. I never agreed to any costs, neither were any costs mentioned to me prior or during this fiasco. It was only when the job was finished they threw a surprise cost.

Do I need to pay them anything? I have everything in text: how they refused to have me send someone over, and how they said they would do it themselves because they said it was "so simple".
They are demanding payment because they think this fence of ours is theirs, and that it is precious. I don't care for the fence. I just want to not get fined by the city.,
Last edited by goodbuybye on Nov 24th, 2019 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
85 replies
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2019
36 posts
8 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Nov 24th, 2019 10:24 am
I am so confused by this, but it sounds like he DIYed fixed it and now wants to be paid?
Exactly. I just updated the post after you replied.
The city wanted us to remove a few boards and lower the fence. Therefore, all we had to do was remove a few boards from the fence to make it lower. No new materials were needed. it was just unscrewing of bolts, and taking off a few board.
it is a DIY.
Penalty Box
Jun 26, 2009
3217 posts
1986 upvotes
GTA
If you think the city would fine you on the deadline day- you are wrong. It takes days, or even weeks for them to react. And looks like you are in great relation with your neighbours.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2019
36 posts
8 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2019 10:34 am
If you think the city would fine you on the deadline day- you are wrong. It takes days, or even weeks for them to react. And looks like you are in great relation with your neighbours.
Oh definitely. The city told me to get it done by x date, so the officer can drop by some time next week. It's not gonna happen right away for sure.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
12296 posts
12202 upvotes
Oakville
No you don't need to pay for their DIY. If they try to invoice you, give them an invoice for your project management time for the same amount.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
9206 posts
5515 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
1) T-E-L-L T-H-E-M T-O G-O G-E-T B-E-N-T

2) Ask the husband if when he went & removed those bolts if he also lost a few screws in the process

3) Send the husband an invoice (for the same amount) for half the bolts and wood boards that was not returned to you upon dismantling of the fence
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 15, 2007
4535 posts
1774 upvotes
How dare someone do this and then try and bill you for it. The nerve of some people
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 8, 2002
11639 posts
3014 upvotes
GTA
Just ignore them. Out of curiosity, did they say the amount they're looking for?
_______________

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10448 posts
7684 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
This is a hysterical story of how crazy some people can truly be

I am guessing the violation was because the fence was too high (Beyond the bylaw limit)

Lol, and I am reading into this, that it is they who tacked on the extra footage because ... well, quite frankly they don’t like you *
Also WHY they seem so damn slooow / reluctant to get it done ... and possessive of their extra boards etc

Sounds like a lovely relationship

This post was a classic:
chimaican wrote:
Nov 24th, 2019 2:42 pm
1) T-E-L-L T-H-E-M T-O G-O G-E-T B-E-N-T

2) Ask the husband if when he went & removed those bolts if he also lost a few screws in the process

3) Send the husband an invoice (for the same amount) for half the bolts and wood boards that was not returned to you upon dismantling of the fence
Agree with it all

But particularly loved Point # 2

Made my day!

* Hey don’t take it too personally
Just from your story, I get the feeling they may not like EACH OTHER too much either
Some people are just a piece of work
Shit show neighbours are both a PITA when you have dealings with them
But cheap entertainment when you are not their current focus of distraction
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29540 posts
15395 upvotes
Ottawa
Buy him a 6 pack and call it a day.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
11958 posts
2832 upvotes
Montréal
Really disappointing there are these kinds of ppl out there. What jackXs.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2019
36 posts
8 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Nov 24th, 2019 2:17 pm
No you don't need to pay for their DIY. If they try to invoice you, give them an invoice for your project management time for the same amount.
Yeah, I mean, I hired someone in an unofficial manner. Kinda like how you hire your friend or relative to do something because they have equipment and man-power to do it.
I am surprised they tried this on me lol.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2019
36 posts
8 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Nov 24th, 2019 2:42 pm
1) T-E-L-L T-H-E-M T-O G-O G-E-T B-E-N-T

2) Ask the husband if when he went & removed those bolts if he also lost a few screws in the process

3) Send the husband an invoice (for the same amount) for half the bolts and wood boards that was not returned to you upon dismantling of the fence

You sir, are an intelligent human being, deserving of respect, love and luck! You are right on number 3. Technically I should be getting half the bolts and wood boards if we are really gonna play the petty neighbor game.

I am choosing to ignore them, since silence is always golden.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2019
36 posts
8 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 24th, 2019 2:49 pm
How dare someone do this and then try and bill you for it. The nerve of some people
I really need a shirt saying "How dare you _____" . I think they are bitter because they really liked the fence, but now are forced to remove it. It was originally built by the previous owners of their house.
I did not built it. I think this is why they are so upset because they feel they bought a house with a fence, but now the fence is no longer part of that deal.

Top