• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2018 1:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2374 posts
198 upvotes

My neighbour took my garbage bin

So after the wind storm, one of my recycle and garbage bins went missing, sure the wind must have took them, but I went walking around to see if I could spot them or hoping someone would leave them out for someone to claim.

Since all recycle bins look the same, I take it that its gone.

My black garbage bin his distinct paint marks from various home projects, plus I still have the lid.

Today is the first garbage day and I noticed about 4 doors down, my neighbour has my bin.
They even bothered to clean up the bin a bit, but they couldn't get the paint marks off.
By now I've already bought a new one and spray painted my number on it and I don't particularly need two bins, but its more principle than anything.
I've never had interactions with this neighbour before, but I did knock on their door and leave a note with my contact info last year when I was making a group buy for a new roof - I never heard from them.

Should I go take it back or just leave it?
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $3171.00
29 replies
Jan 7, 2013
342 posts
128 upvotes
Whitby Ontario
Move on with your life if you've bought a new one. Not likely he knew whose it was anyways.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21863 posts
6878 upvotes
Toronto
just take it back. If you want to leave a little note at the door, then say "Thanks for cleaning up the bin for me"
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7775 posts
4561 upvotes
Markham
Truly a first world problem.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9670 posts
4038 upvotes
Toronto
Grow some balls and grab it back.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7761 posts
1044 upvotes
Toronto
Is it a city of Toronto type bin or just a run of the mill retail store bin?
I remember in Brampton on windy days a woman would stop her car and pick up a couple blue bins and throw it in her car trunk.
If I had the time, I usually piled as much up as I could and left them at the community post box.
Our blue bin had our house number painted on it and went missing for a couple years.
One day someone returned it by leaving it out on our driveway after many years.Lol
Feb 25, 2015
940 posts
301 upvotes
York Region
I had to play this game a couple of times too. I just took them back.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5697 posts
2898 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I would take it back. It is the principle. Your neighbour is a douche.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5697 posts
2898 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Shaidin wrote:
May 17th, 2018 2:14 pm
Move on with your life if you've bought a new one. Not likely he knew whose it was anyways.
The person tried to remove the painted on street number from it. I would say they knew whose it was.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6306 posts
1379 upvotes
Maple
Spray paint your house # on it (all 4 sides).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7728 posts
186 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
May 17th, 2018 3:07 pm
The person tried to remove the painted on street number from it. I would say they knew whose it was.
OP doesn't say paint number on it initially....said there was paint from previous projects making the bin distinct,....and they "tried" to remove it.

2 options: get on with your life or take it back
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1375 upvotes
Toronto
You: Knock on door: "Hey, I realize this is an odd question but I live four doors down and my garbage bin went missing on that really windy day. From the paint marks on it, it looks like that bin might be ours. Could I just grab that back from you tomorrow after the garbage pick up?"
Them: Sure, no problem.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9670 posts
4038 upvotes
Toronto
no engrish!!!
wirebound wrote:
May 17th, 2018 3:49 pm
You: Knock on door: "Hey, I realize this is an odd question but I live four doors down and my garbage bin went missing on that really windy day. From the paint marks on it, it looks like that bin might be ours. Could I just grab that back from you tomorrow after the garbage pick up?"
Them: Sure, no problem.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3347 posts
473 upvotes
wirebound wrote:
May 17th, 2018 3:49 pm
Them: Image
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated July 2018