Home & Garden

My neighbour took my garbage bin

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2018 1:04 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1109 posts
336 upvotes
In Peel region bin has serial #s. Does have them?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9091 posts
1735 upvotes
Somewhere
gotta mark your bins. i had mine returned to me after the wind storm by a nice neighbor down the street because i marked mine.
:confused:
Oct 14, 2014
413 posts
328 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Anikiri wrote:
May 17th, 2018 2:39 pm
Truly a first world problem.
Well... if we stop paying attention to first world problems, we may return to second or third world conditions
Feb 25, 2004
480 posts
94 upvotes
Longueuil
wirebound wrote:
May 17th, 2018 3:49 pm
You: Knock on door: "Hey, I realize this is an odd question but I live four doors down and my garbage bin went missing on that really windy day. From the paint marks on it, it looks like that bin might be ours. Could I just grab that back from you tomorrow after the garbage pick up?"
Them: Sure, no problem.
Unlikely. They stole the bin and even tried to cover it up but failed to remove the distinctive paint marks. They will likely deny that they stole it and say it is theirs.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5546 posts
1266 upvotes
Whitby
Dump their garbage on lawn and take your bin home before pickup.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1062 posts
394 upvotes
Oshawa
4 sides eh...

teoconca wrote:
May 17th, 2018 3:30 pm
Spray paint your house # on it (all 4 sides).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6235 posts
4768 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Just start throwing your garbage on their lawn...cuz you don’t have a bin anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5233 posts
2122 upvotes
Paris
Zamboni wrote:
May 17th, 2018 6:01 pm
Dump their garbage on lawn and take your bin home before pickup.
I literally did this once.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8038 posts
1661 upvotes
Ontario
After it’s been picked up and emptied on garbage day, immediately go and just grab it. If it has distinct markings, or the neighbor sees you or says something, just say, “thank you for locating my bin, I lost it during the wind storm. Much appreciated neighbor” - hot coals over their head. :)

Saw my blue bin used by a neighbor years ago (down the street), but I actually mark my address on the inside with permanent marker and this rube didn’t even try to scratch it off. After it was emptied, I just took it back home.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2386 posts
212 upvotes
thanks for the replies everyone, I just posted this for the lulz, I was bored at work yesterday.
I don't really have any intention of getting it back - I let the wife know I've spotted the bin, but since I already have a new one, ill just leave it.

If the neighbour wants to be a douche and keep my garbage bin, than so be it, my hours are long enough that I'll never be home in time to grab the empty bin anyways.

Maybe two weeks from now, I will go and put the lid back on it and put a note "From your friendly neighbour, if you wish to return the bin, please return to this address..."

I really have no need for two bins, can barely fill the one.
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $3725.00
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1448 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto
Next time they put it out, take the lid you still have for it and crazy glue it in place.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16959 posts
5471 upvotes
Toronto
In my neighborhood, people don't take others bins. If someone's bin blows down the street, it stays there until claimed by the rightful owner. We don't question whether someone is taking a neighbor's bin because it just doesn't happen. None of us mark our bins. During the big wind storm, my bin was blown 3 houses down the road when I got home.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7289 posts
1515 upvotes
Mississauga
blues45 wrote:
May 18th, 2018 9:10 am
thanks for the replies everyone, I just posted this for the lulz, I was bored at work yesterday.
I don't really have any intention of getting it back - I let the wife know I've spotted the bin, but since I already have a new one, ill just leave it.

If the neighbour wants to be a douche and keep my garbage bin, than so be it, my hours are long enough that I'll never be home in time to grab the empty bin anyways.

Maybe two weeks from now, I will go and put the lid back on it and put a note "From your friendly neighbour, if you wish to return the bin, please return to this address..."

I really have no need for two bins, can barely fill the one.
If you have time to put the lid on it, why not just take the bin back?Face With Rolling Eyes
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5900 posts
1428 upvotes
Markham
Make sure you mark up your new bin. Perhaps engrave your house number into it. Sharpie extreme market and paint as second and third markers.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!