Shopping Discussion

Locked: My Not-so-Canadian Shopping Experience at CanadianTire

Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
JJpach wrote:
Feb 25th, 2011 2:45 pm
I wasn't aware of CT's typical bad CS until this last purchase. They weren't the nicest people around but they were generally helpful to me (at other locations). Now if I hadn't mentioned who I was in the last paragraph, you would be thinking it's just another bad CS case. My sole intention was to bring up this issue of CT's "allged" prejudice system with other RFDers who might have similar experience. I did put in writing "alleged".

Think about this..

If CT as a company had a prejudice system then you would not have had a "generally helpful" experiance in the past at CT.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6050 posts
728 upvotes
Greely
There are no words. Wait, I do have some:

alleged racism fail
Jan 17, 2008
631 posts
239 upvotes
Blvck_Scvle wrote:
Feb 25th, 2011 2:13 pm
I was willing to feel bad for you until you pulled the race card.

Next time, pull it right at the beginning so I don't waste my time reading your awful whiny thread.

^^Exactly!

JJpach, what happened for your friends to convince you to pull the race card?!? I understand that there were many coincidences that made that transaction go wrong, but everyone has bad experiences. To pull the race card is kinda ridiculous in this case, unless everyone you dealt with paid you no attention and called you a name. Do you think the Ajax salesperson called the pickering store to give them a headsup and to look out for an Asian person looking for a futon? Come on, seriously.
Like most people here, I was with you until the end of your story.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
I echo the general sentiment here, this was one of the best, most well-written and legitimate complaint I've read on RFD in a long long time... up until the end where OP pulled the race card.
JJpach wrote:
Feb 25th, 2011 2:10 pm
I was being alerted by a number of friends of dragging out this "race card", but when you're the only person singled out while everyone else got an easy purchase, there were just too many coincidences in this case.
Too many coincidences? What does that even mean? Looks like a series of unfortunate events, it happens.
JJpach wrote:
Feb 25th, 2011 2:45 pm
I wasn't aware of CT's typical bad CS until this last purchase. They weren't the nicest people around but they were generally helpful to me (at other locations). Now if I hadn't mentioned who I was in the last paragraph, you would be thinking it's just another bad CS case. My sole intention was to bring up this issue of CT's "allged" prejudice system with other RFDers who might have similar experience. I did put in writing "alleged".

The problem is, your allegations are completely baseless, and are not backed up by any reasonable evidence. That's dangerous. Just because you're saying it's "alleged" doesn't mean you can make accusations without backing it up (and sorry, but as pointed out, your "too many coincidences" argument is purely conjecture).
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Mar 1, 2008
461 posts
15 upvotes
Ha ha ha.

But really, sh!? like this happens to me all the time cuz I'm white.
No nappy no happy!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2006
1133 posts
14 upvotes
jestik wrote:
Feb 25th, 2011 3:29 pm
^^Exactly!

JJpach, what happened for your friends to convince you to pull the race card?!? I understand that there were many coincidences that made that transaction go wrong, but everyone has bad experiences. To pull the race card is kinda ridiculous in this case, unless everyone you dealt with paid you no attention and called you a name. Do you think the Ajax salesperson called the pickering store to give them a headsup and to look out for an Asian person looking for a futon? Come on, seriously.
Like most people here, I was with you until the end of your story.

Well my friends didn't think the same as I did. They just thought it was a bad experience that's all. I on the other hand thought it could have been handled a lot better. Imagine how weird it was when you paid something up front, no valid receipt and no item to pick up. I wasn't paid attention to either, during my 45 minutes we were just talking inside the store when all staff looked busy doing something.

To all: Some of the one-liners here have tagged and hit-and-run on this thread with your typical crap. Fine by me. I appreciate those who provided insights. This report was sent to CT about how a customer might feel wrong of his purchase and how he felt he was being treated. I had to bring up the race issue if it were indeed an actual problem these locations have been having. You don't work at these locations, neither were you there in my shoes, if there was indeed an issue with these stores and no one ever mentions it, it will just keep going without being noticed. Someone has to speak up. If you don't like the way it was being spoken out, leave it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6050 posts
728 upvotes
Greely
You should have brought up employee theft issues and maybe drug dealing on premises, just in case they had issues with that at those stores as well. I mean, seriously - you have no basis for your claims unless you're leaving something out.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
who waits and stands around for 45 minutes?

why didn't you ask someone anyone every 10 mins until they become so annoyed they deal with you right away?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2005
5022 posts
6 upvotes
Markham
I find the minorities to be more helpful at retailers lol
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19019 posts
1473 upvotes
Mysticdragon wrote:
Feb 25th, 2011 2:01 pm
I do have to say that I was impressed with how your complaint was written until the very end. I dont think you should have played the race card (unless something specif was said to you in either store about your race) It almost read that you were accusing Canadian Tire of doing this to you becasue you were Asian (unless i missunderstood which I may have) which I dont think you had grounds to do at least as far as your account goes.
Agreed. This has nothing to do with race and everything to do with the fact that all the Canadian Tire stores in the GTA are poorly run and staffed by morons. Anyone who has been on this forum from the GTA has tons of horror stories about Canadian Tire.

Your complaint letter was fine and to the point until you started with the race BS.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2006
1133 posts
14 upvotes
steve-0101 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2011 3:53 pm
You should have brought up employee theft issues and maybe drug dealing on premises, just in case they had issues with that at those stores as well. I mean, seriously - you have no basis for your claims unless you're leaving something out.
Those are not my problems from a customer's standpoint. They have nothing to do with my purchase. I wasn't leaving anything out either.
jordanr1987 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2011 3:54 pm
who waits and stands around for 45 minutes?

why didn't you ask someone anyone every 10 mins until they become so annoyed they deal with you right away?

Who knows. It was Sunday. My friend actually kept me busy with his updates for a good 1/2 hr until I started getting impatient. Also I don't really buy furniture often, I thought it would take some time until they wheeled out the futons from the back.
Dec 20, 2010
288 posts
66 upvotes
JJpach wrote:
Feb 25th, 2011 3:47 pm
Well my friends didn't think the same as I did. They just thought it was a bad experience that's all. I on the other hand thought it could have been handled a lot better. Imagine how weird it was when you paid something up front, no valid receipt and no item to pick up. I wasn't paid attention to either, during my 45 minutes we were just talking inside the store when all staff looked busy doing something.

To all: Some of the one-liners here have tagged and hit-and-run on this thread with your typical crap. Fine by me. I appreciate those who provided insights. This report was sent to CT about how a customer might feel wrong of his purchase and how he felt he was being treated. I had to bring up the race issue if it were indeed an actual problem these locations have been having. You don't work at these locations, neither were you there in my shoes, if there was indeed an issue with these stores and no one ever mentions it, it will just keep going without being noticed. Someone has to speak up. If you don't like the way it was being spoken out, leave it.
Why in the world should we just "leave it" if we feel you're inaccurately depicting a case of racism? You didn't just "leave it" when you felt slighted at the store and people here aren't going to just "leave it" when you try to pass off poor customer service as a case of prejudice.

You had everyone on your side and you ruined it in one ignorant paragraph. Ever since then, your replies have been proving you to be less and less intelligent. There is not a SINGLE thing to suggest that this was anything close to racism. You can try playing the "I was just doing the right thing" card all you want, you didn't have to bring up anything related to racism in your "report" to CT. Quit trying to play this off as you just trying to speak up as a representative of everything good and honorable. You had a valid case until you threw ALL your credibility out the window by bringing your race into play. You destroyed your own point even more when you pointed out you've never had anything like this happen to you before at CT. Even your friends think you were wrong. Doesn't that clue you in that maybe it's time you stopped behaving like an idiot and got over your experience (which was not based on prejudice)?
Feb 24, 2011
9 posts
Toronto
JJpach wrote:
Feb 25th, 2011 3:47 pm
Except you've provided no legitimate basis for an accusation of racism except that you're not white. I've had crappy customer service at CT too, and more recently at Shoppers Drug Mart...and I'm white. Sometimes poor service is just poor service. If you really thought they were racist, why would you give them your money? Something here doesn't add up.

What were the races of the salespeople who helped you? From what I've seen, CT staff is pretty diverse.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1742 upvotes
This is why the north american society gets a bad image around the world because of these "tantrums". Typical mentality to cry whine and stomp your foot for everything. Pulling out the race card was hillarious and you should be ashamed because you are incapable to ever integrate in the society.
If you dont do this and that then I will do this and that because I happen to be a member of RFD.

OP please do yourself a favour and lock yourself and throw the key away. I think canadian tire or general society would be fine without you and your business.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6050 posts
728 upvotes
Greely
JJpach wrote:
Feb 25th, 2011 4:00 pm
Those are not my problems from a customer's standpoint. They have nothing to do with my purchase. I wasn't leaving anything out either.

Neither does racism.