Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1561 posts
467 upvotes
GTA

My puppy eats her business

my puppy eats her business, usually whenever she is doing her business, I'm picking it up, but sometimes she is going to backyard and we can't see, next time she is eating it
used ForBid stop stool eating, but did not work!

any advice?!
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8433 posts
5070 upvotes
Edmonton
Ugh! We've got an old dog who does this too... Apparently he did this as a puppy, then stopped for awhile, and now has taken it up again. We just watch him any time he's out on his own in the backyard.

Hopefully someone has some ideas about it.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1561 posts
467 upvotes
GTA
CNeufeld wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 10:24 am
Ugh! We've got an old dog who does this too... Apparently he did this as a puppy, then stopped for awhile, and now has taken it up again. We just watch him any time he's out on his own in the backyard.

Hopefully someone has some ideas about it.

C
I thought this is an usuall habit for female ones to removers their tracks, apparently I’m wrong
Apr 25, 2011
928 posts
468 upvotes
British Columbia
Did you use the Forbid as directed? You seem to indicate you used it once? I belive you need to use it 5 days in a row, twice daily. You may need go repeat this a few weeks later to reinforce the negative association with eating feces. You also may want to consider changing your dogs diet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1561 posts
467 upvotes
GTA
Karala wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 5:51 pm
Did you use the Forbid as directed? You seem to indicate you used it once? I belive you need to use it 5 days in a row, twice daily. You may need go repeat this a few weeks later to reinforce the negative association with eating feces. You also may want to consider changing your dogs diet.
I used it twice a day, for 10 days as instructed by vet
It was working during the time, but a few days after those 10 days, she is started eating popsicles again!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2000 posts
766 upvotes
Lmao! Sorry OP but this is usually something they grow out of.
Mar 5, 2008
355 posts
40 upvotes
yeah pup will eventually grow out of it its not going to make them sick its just a disgusting habit (poop breath gross)
I've heard things like feeding pup sweet potato or pumpkin will make the poo smell less like something they want to eat

but you can also train it out of them.

- bathroom breaks only on a leash
- if they go to poop and try and eat it, use the command LEAVE IT, and if they listen and leave it - give them a treat to reinforce the good behavior ur looking to train (in this case - leaving poop on the ground and not eating it)
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3789 posts
599 upvotes
Can also be due to them still being hungry. Check if you're feeding your puppy enough.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1561 posts
467 upvotes
GTA
nx6288 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 2:10 pm
Can also be due to them still being hungry. Check if you're feeding your puppy enough.
she is eating properly and enough, seems it's disgusting for us and yummy for them
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3789 posts
599 upvotes
amiratish wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 3:29 pm
she is eating properly and enough, seems it's disgusting for us and yummy for them
Then I would draw it up to them still being puppies. Ours grew out of doing that as they aged but also helping enforcing it by telling them to LEAVE IT and giving them treats for doing so.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1561 posts
467 upvotes
GTA
Garest wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 2:06 pm
yeah pup will eventually grow out of it its not going to make them sick its just a disgusting habit (poop breath gross)
I've heard things like feeding pup sweet potato or pumpkin will make the poo smell less like something they want to eat

but you can also train it out of them.

- bathroom breaks only on a leash
- if they go to poop and try and eat it, use the command LEAVE IT, and if they listen and leave it - give them a treat to reinforce the good behavior ur looking to train (in this case - leaving poop on the ground and not eating it)
I tried pumpkin, worked for a few days, but she started eating Poopsicle again. I tried "For-Bid" for 5 days, yesterday was the fifth day, did not see any attraction to poopsicles!
hope she does not go back!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8433 posts
5070 upvotes
Edmonton
Our dog did this when he was young, apparently (I wasn’t in the picture back then). But now that he’s 16, it’s come back. Started again about a year ago.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1561 posts
467 upvotes
GTA
CNeufeld wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 5:29 pm
Our dog did this when he was young, apparently (I wasn’t in the picture back then). But now that he’s 16, it’s come back. Started again about a year ago.

C
he is 16?!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8433 posts
5070 upvotes
Edmonton
amiratish wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 8:09 pm
he is 16?!
Yup. Little dogs live longer than big ones.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7576 posts
1689 upvotes
Mississauga
CNeufeld wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 5:29 pm

C
My sister's 9 year old dog still does it once in a while. He knows he's not supposed to, so what he's does is quickly grab it before it hits the ground and before she can stop him.!
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.