Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22162 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto

Is my Radeon 9700pro defective

I purchased a BBA Radeon 9700pro a few days ago. Installed it into an Asus A7V133 rev 1.05 using WinXP with no problems. Loaded the drivers (latest Catalyst from ATI website) and everything was fine. The 2d image quality was fantastic on an lcd monitor using dvi. I loaded the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers and tried out 3dmark05.

I noticed some parts of 3dmark05 were fine while another part resulted in some screen artifacts (tearing of the image, odd flashes of colour on the screen). I tried Return To Castle Wolfenstein (old, but it was the only "3d" game I had on hand) and it was fine. I'm not sure if the card is defective or not. Any ideas ?

I'm not too concerned since I didn't pay a lot for it.

Any info would be great.

Thanks.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
Uninstall your current drivers for the 9700. Then use Driver Cleaner to purge the remnants of your current drivers, plus the remnants of your previous drivers. Then reinstall new drivers.

If that fails, RMA the card...you may get a 9800 Pro in return.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Nov 26, 2003
580 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
I had a problem with my old 9700 Pro and sent it in for replacement from ATI. I got a 9800 Pro as mentioned above. I had different issues than yours but if drivers do not solve the issue then it may likely be the card at fault.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14494 posts
252 upvotes
Mississauga
Hmmm, I was getting some pretty nasty flashing in Half Life 2 with my Sapphire 9550.

I winder if my card is defective. Thats the only game its ever happened on.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22162 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried the previous two Catalyst drivers after a fresh install of WinXP each time and I still have the artifacts.

I don't think I can return the card to Ati because it doesn't have the white Ati stickers with the p/n and s/n on the back. The card came from a <a href=../autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167 target=_blank>Dell</a> machine.

I'm going to try running the tests under Win2000 on another mobo.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)