Students

is my school able to take my phone, with the weird contract we signed?

[OP]
Jan 9, 2018
1 posts

is my school able to take my phone, with the weird contract we signed?

Im in my second year of high school and i've never had my phone taken away. My grandfather was a lawyer and he always told me to read the paper Im signing. In one of my classes the teacher got sick and we have a sub for a few weeks and the school made my class sign a contract that said they could take our phones at times we are not allowed to be on them i understand this rule its to help us. It also says they are not responsible for the care of our phones, i kept reading and noticed it said "By signing this contract you are giving the West Tyler High School/Tyler School District to take up your phone and that you will be respectful to your teacher/substitute. The funny thing is i go to an in tearily different school on the other side of the state. Are they still able to take my phone up. and my school has a rule if you get your phone taken away twice the school takes your phone keeps it in the school and make your parents come up to the school and pay $35 to get it back once i leave school and they don't give it back isn't that theft?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7086 posts
4052 upvotes
Edmonton
First off, are you 18? You can check your local jurisdiction whether any contract signed by a minor is valid.

Second, why sign anything? What's the impact if you don't sign?

Third, stop trying to be a special snowflake. Put your phone in your bag or in your pocket and leave it there. Then you have no issues whether you sign or don't sign. Getting into a legal p1ssing match over whether "Tyler School District" has authority to take your phone or not is entirely avoidable.

C
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4561 posts
743 upvotes
Toronto
a contract with illegal clauses will not hold up in court even if you signed it
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4222 posts
556 upvotes
Tell the school or teacher or whoever to kick rocks.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1394 posts
713 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
This has to be a troll post, seeing the TSD is in Tyler, Texas and the OP is posting on a Canadian site looking for U.S.A. legal information. Epic Fail
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1111 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
Assuming you are a minor, they have the right to take your phone away because you have no right to enter into any contract so how did you get the phone in the first place? Did you steal it from your parents? The $35 is an administrative fee is there to confirm that you are allowed to have a mobile phone.

Simiarly, your school can post notices all over saying no mobile phone allow on my premise. All phone will be confiscated and destroyed upon discovery!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1394 posts
713 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
^^^^^ +1
In addition to the above and to maybe put this into a Canadian perspective, the "contract" that was signed is not a contract, not withstanding the inclusion of those words into this agreement. Even though I have not come across such a scenario being pursued legally I would venture a guess that any tribunal. court, school board or other judicial authority would treat this "contract" as a "Code of Conduct" agreement and that irrespective of the student's age, such an agreement would be binding on the student, especially if they are in high school and they expect to be treated as young upcoming adults.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1356 posts
364 upvotes
BradBrass wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 11:14 am
Im in my second year of high school and i've never had my phone taken away. My grandfather was a lawyer and he always told me to read the paper Im signing. In one of my classes the teacher got sick and we have a sub for a few weeks and the school made my class sign a contract that said they could take our phones at times we are not allowed to be on them i understand this rule its to help us. It also says they are not responsible for the care of our phones, i kept reading and noticed it said "By signing this contract you are giving the West Tyler High School/Tyler School District to take up your phone and that you will be respectful to your teacher/substitute. The funny thing is i go to an in tearily different school on the other side of the state. Are they still able to take my phone up. and my school has a rule if you get your phone taken away twice the school takes your phone keeps it in the school and make your parents come up to the school and pay $35 to get it back once i leave school and they don't give it back isn't that theft?
Considering you are in grade 10 and since can't write a proper paragraph with punctuation and grammar, maybe you should stop trying to find loopholes in what your teacher is trying to do and put the phone in your pocket and stop talking. You are not that important to be on call and neither are your idiot friends that may text you while you are in class.
If you wrote this post in an email to your grandfather I assume he would shake his head in sadness that you remembered not to sign anything without reading but still can't capitalize words.
Alex