Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
4752 posts
159 upvotes

My tire wall has peeling effect

How do you check if the tire pressure matches the recommended numbers on the fuel cap? The front pair doesn't look right to me now. They look bulge when parked. Also, I notice there is some peeling effect on the tire wall of the front left tire if you know what I mean.. The peeling effect is on the circle surrounding just above the word Michelin. I will take actual pic later. The peeling is very noticeable. It is less noticeable on the rear left, rear right, and front right. The car is one year old now and I have never check the pressure since took delivery.

To give you an idea what I mean, look at the pic below. Peeling effect area is on the red.

17 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14364 posts
1305 upvotes
Oshawa
Get a pressure gauge. You should be checking your tire pressure every couple months.

The fronts will bulge on high profile tires; think about it, the engine is in the front.
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
Your tire pressures are listed on the gas cap?
Tire pressures are in your owners manual for sure.
Don't use the pressures on the tire, they are generally what the max pressure of the tire can be.
If you do not know how to do this go to a shop or a Canadian Tire and just ask for help. They can show you how to do it in the future. It is easy but it also has its own little tricks. It is much better than making a mistake with the pressures.
Pressures need to be checked regularly particularly when changing loads in the car and when the weather (temperatures change).
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2007
2533 posts
38 upvotes
I think that your tire was underinflated.

Does it look like this? If so, underinflation.. and possibly you need new tires. :

Images courtesy of ctC230K from MBWorld.org
Luckyinfil wrote:
May 18th, 2010 5:23 pm
No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

UMM HOW i word this... ok u take 20 lbs no lifting for 30lb if guy, so divide 2 u dont sit, u get 10 but for guy it no 30, so 20 would be for guy if u werent a girl ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
4752 posts
159 upvotes
onecoolloser, can you direct me to ctC230K's post on MBWorld.org? I want to read the content of it and why he is posting that pic. Maybe my problem to related to his.

The peeling looks like the one on the pic.

Jan 13, 2007
320 posts
14 upvotes
Barrie
Based on your pix... there are a couple of variables.

* You have or had an alignment issue that wears the outside of your tires.
* You have been running with under inflated tires.
* Seeing how close you are to the wear bars & threads starting to show. Get them replaced ASAP. There is no fix for them.
* Air Pressure should be located in your door panels, glove box, trunk, havent seen one on gas cap.
* Use a shop that fills with Nitrogen mix air. It will stabilize your air pressure.

Get Alignment done ONLY after the new tires are installed. Im in the business so feel free to ask me questions.

Hope this helps
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20259 posts
1668 upvotes
xeryusdvirus wrote:
Sep 8th, 2007 3:18 pm
Based on your pix... there are a couple of variables.
Those aren't his pics though, they're someone else's (onecoolloser posted some from somewhere else). He was just pointing out (in the second post containing the same pic from the post from onecoolloser) where the peeling is occuring.

If the tyres are not worn unevenly, not overly worn in general, and are just peeling on the sidewall area I would say that's a manufacturer's defect. If they are Michelin tyres then you'll have a 6 year quality warranty and you can get them replaced (pro-rated). From the sounds of it, it seems like the tyres may be unsafe to continue driving on--I would get that checked out ASAP.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
4752 posts
159 upvotes
Ok.. here are pics of my tire. It has about 6800km on them. What causes it?

Front right tire (pic with yellow arrow) shows no sign of peeling, looks normal. Compare the peeling above the letter C and the whole surrounding above the lettering on the first and second pic. The two rear ones show very little peeling (didn't take pic of those)

Front left peeling shown with red arrow is very noticeable in three angles..
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
I think you had best put your paranoia back in the box. There is nothing wrong with your tires.
Like I said earlier, get the tire pressure right an drive on.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20259 posts
1668 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 9th, 2007 10:04 am
I think you had best put your paranoia back in the box. There is nothing wrong with your tires.
Like I said earlier, get the tire pressure right an drive on.
LOL yeah that's what I was thinking... I mean I don't really see anything wrong in those pictures but I was thinking maybe I'm just not seeing it properly, the "problem" I mean. I really don't see any peeling :confused: Looks to me like there is a small strip of rubber on one tyre (the first pic) that isn't there on the other tyres because it's coming off? Is that what's happening? I think that's just additional non-essential rubber that's coming off there, and shouldn't affect the performance or quality of the tyre at all. Again, unless I'm just not seeing things right, it looks like those tyres are perfectly fine.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1471 posts
120 upvotes
Looks like excess flash from the tire mold to me....no defect there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
4752 posts
159 upvotes
You are seeing it right. The "peeling" I am talking about is the rubber strip that appears in one of the tire and it is very noticeable. The other two show little peeling and the one shows none at all. So is it normal? Does this peeling appears over time?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2007
2533 posts
38 upvotes
That looks normal to me.

If you still want to check out the other thread, here is the link. His problem was underinflation and needed replacing, but your tires aren't nearly as bad. I wouldnt worry about them.

Here it the link. http://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207207
Luckyinfil wrote:
May 18th, 2010 5:23 pm
No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

UMM HOW i word this... ok u take 20 lbs no lifting for 30lb if guy, so divide 2 u dont sit, u get 10 but for guy it no 30, so 20 would be for guy if u werent a girl ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
4752 posts
159 upvotes
actng wrote:
Sep 9th, 2007 3:50 pm
i would attribute the peeling to some n00b parking skills
I doubt that since it is the front left tire that has this peeling.

Thanks for the link onecoolloser.
× < >