• Aug 2nd, 2012 4:19 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
packardbell wrote: Kind of contradicting yourself since VW is using lifetime fluid? no? :)
Not at all.
A "service" is considerably more than a mere fluid check. It can be as little as topping up fluid to as much as filter replacements or linkage adjustment or replacement of any worn parts but, as a competent DIYer, you knew that, right?
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Not at all.
A "service" is considerably more than a mere fluid check. It can be as little as topping up fluid to as much as filter replacements or linkage adjustment or replacement of any worn parts but, as a competent DIYer, you knew that, right?
Actually, he's more than a DIYer, packardbell is a former professional mechanic......

[INDENT]
packardbell wrote: I am a retired professional mechanic now but still do repairs for myself and immediate family members on my free weekends
[/INDENT]

can-i-say-pretty-productive-day-me-1055 ... st13103614
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
PPiL wrote: Manual
are you sure it's not the clutch problem? Manual trannies rarely give up like that and doesn't require fluid changes like automatics do.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Not at all.
the transmission whether auto or manual is a sealed system and should not require topping up fluid unless there was a failure of some sort, (seals, gasket, accident, impact, etc...). So the OP should find the cause and rectify that first. But you a former professional mechanic you knew that his 2002 jetta has a cable driven shifting mechanism and not rod shift mechanism that does not require adjustments. :) right? I didn't see you mentioning cable adjustment in your post
Pete_Coach wrote: Get it serviced for sure. you may easily get a lot more life out of it.
If you are having trouble in all gears, it could be as simple as low fluid (or dirty fluid or air in the fluid) in the brake reservoir. The clutch pedal uses the same fluid.
but now you do mention it after my post
packardbell wrote: did you verify to make sure your shifter cables are adjusted correctly?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
poedua wrote: Actually, he's more than a DIYer, packardbell is a former professional mechanic......

[INDENT][/INDENT]

can-i-say-pretty-productive-day-me-1055 ... st13103614
Yes, and let him have the opportunity to experess that. My comment was with a hint of sarcasm.
packardbell wrote: the transmission whether auto or manual is a sealed system and should not require topping up fluid unless there was a failure of some sort, (seals, gasket, accident, impact, etc...). So the OP should find the cause and rectify that first. But you a former professional mechanic you knew that his 2002 jetta has a cable driven shifting mechanism and not rod shift mechanism that does not require adjustments. :) right? I didn't see you mentioning cable adjustment in your post

but now you do mention it after my post
Why? Why? Why? We are trying to thelp the OP here and not prove that you still have a bigger one than everyone else.
My original comment was to get it service and fluid may be low. No talk about anything else.
My second comment was in response to you where I indicated a service may be more than just fluid. Please do not think that you are any type of inpiration. A linkage can be anything from cables, to rods to bellcranks.
It was quite civilized here when you were banned.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Yes, and let him have the opportunity to experess that. My comment was with a hint of sarcasm.

Why? Why? Why? We are trying to thelp the OP here and not prove that you still have a bigger one than everyone else.
My original comment was to get it service and fluid may be low. No talk about anything else.
My second comment was in response to you where I indicated a service may be more than just fluid. Please do not think that you are any type of inpiration. A linkage can be anything from cables, to rods to bellcranks.
It was quite civilized here when you were banned.
oh really? a bit of sarcasm too. :)
i know you got the bigger one.
Jul 16, 2012
6 posts
CALGARY
packardbell wrote: Kind of contradicting yourself since VW is using lifetime fluid? no? :)
On the other hand VW North America are often straight up liars and/or have no idea what the service intervals should be on their own cars, so there's that.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
since some members think it is a synchro issue, who is going to do a DIY ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)