• May 15th, 2017 10:22 am
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15087 posts
1086 upvotes
Thornhill
azia wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 9:42 am
Who is this "everyone"? Because usually the naysayers are ones who haven't tried it themselves and just seem to think cloth is weird, gross, inconvenient, etc. based on assumptions. Disposables have been around since the 50's...cloth diapers since...well, since people wore clothes. ;)
"Everyone" is everyone I talked to or read the comments of online. Which of the points is wrong? Anyway, I don't want to make it much more than my thoughts on the matter as that's what contributed to my decision and wanted to share them with OP.
azia wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 9:42 am
We use strictly disposables now but for the first 18 months, we used mainly cloth and sometimes disposables when we were out and about. The only inconvenience to cloth is if you don't have time to wash at night, BUT you don't need to wash nightly. We did it every 3 days. Poop diapers we had a diaper sprayer (same as a bidet) on our toilet and we'd spray of the solids. Everything goes into a wet bag and that gets tossed in with the diapers in the wash.

1 cycle on cold
1 heavy duty cycle on hot
Low heat in the dryer
That alone seems like way too much extra effort given the amount of time I already spend taking care of the little one :) compare that to just rolling it up and chucking it into a bag for garbage day. Disposables are what, 20cents a piece?

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Aug 5, 2008
135 posts
85 upvotes
t3359 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 9:02 am

"Everyone" is everyone I talked to or read the comments of online. Which of the points is wrong? Anyway, I don't want to make it much more than my thoughts on the matter as that's what contributed to my decision and wanted to share them with OP.

That alone seems like way too much extra effort given the amount of time I already spend taking care of the little one :) compare that to just rolling it up and chucking it into a bag for garbage day. Disposables are what, 20cents a piece?

bjl
I do both, the effort is not that much different. This is speaking from experience. I put them in a wetbag and every 3 days, put everything in the washer, run back upstairs and spend time with my child. Then I hang them up (takes a min or 2) overnight.

Also, I like not worrying about going out to get them or running out of diapers or having too much of a smaller size left over. They take up less space too.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13860 posts
4420 upvotes
cutey130 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 11:55 am
I do both, the effort is not that much different. This is speaking from experience. I put them in a wetbag and every 3 days, put everything in the washer, run back upstairs and spend time with my child. Then I hang them up (takes a min or 2) overnight.

Also, I like not worrying about going out to get them or running out of diapers or having too much of a smaller size left over. They take up less space too.
Don't you have to scoop out the "solids"?

And why is going to get diapers a big deal - you do regular grocery shopping and this is just an item that you would pick up. If you do not do regular shopping, Amazon would be happy to send them to your house. I do not really think that's a good argument to go with for cloth vs disposable.
Aug 5, 2008
135 posts
85 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 9:49 pm

Don't you have to scoop out the "solids"?

And why is going to get diapers a big deal - you do regular grocery shopping and this is just an item that you would pick up. If you do not do regular shopping, Amazon would be happy to send them to your house. I do not really think that's a good argument to go with for cloth vs disposable.
Yes and no, breastfed or formula fed only poops can go into the washer. Once, they start solids, you will either have to spray or use a bio-liner (flushable or throw out in garbage) or scrape it in the toilet. My baby doesn't really poop but every baby is different.

I was just pointing out my preferences which work for my lifestyle. I mostly grocery shop alone with baby and sometimes I like to walk to grocery store near my house that doesn't have the big box diapers. I do order online, there were a couple of times where the diaper I wanted was out of stock on Amazon. Other incident, I ordered​ diapers from Wal-Mart before Black Friday and they arrived almost 3 weeks later.

Like I said I use both, I'm just talking about my experience.
Jan 30, 2008
553 posts
87 upvotes
t3359 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 9:02 am

bjl
I'm really confused. Are you the OP or just speaking for him?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15087 posts
1086 upvotes
Thornhill
azia wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 1:50 pm
I'm really confused. Are you the OP or just speaking for him?
?? Neither... I'm not the OP, but was providing my thoughts on the topic.

The post you replied to was my comment to you though.

bjl
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15087 posts
1086 upvotes
Thornhill
cutey130 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 10:16 pm
Yes and no, breastfed or formula fed only poops can go into the washer. Once, they start solids, you will either have to spray or use a bio-liner (flushable or throw out in garbage) or scrape it in the toilet. My baby doesn't really poop but every baby is different.
Ahhh, I heard about that (some babies rarely poop when breastfed). Anyway, my baby pooped several times a day when breastfed. To tell you the truth, I couldn't imagine washing anything else in the washer after doing poop diapers in there without sanitizing it first. We did look at a "diaper washing machine" when we were thinking about cloth diapers - was about $1K ordered from the USA.

bjl
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3274 posts
1228 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
We did a combination. I got some great cloth diapers given to me at my baby shower. I didn't find them gross to deal with. I used disposables for convenience sometimes, but I would not be against cloth diapers for anyone who wants to use them. They were a lot cheaper for me than disposables (especially since they were gifted). Even if I had to buy them, I still think they would have worked out cheaper than disposables.
Nov 13, 2013
611 posts
213 upvotes
t3359 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 9:26 pm
Ahhh, I heard about that (some babies rarely poop when breastfed). Anyway, my baby pooped several times a day when breastfed. To tell you the truth, I couldn't imagine washing anything else in the washer after doing poop diapers in there without sanitizing it first. We did look at a "diaper washing machine" when we were thinking about cloth diapers - was about $1K ordered from the USA.

bjl
Cloth or not you are going to be washing a lot of pooh covered clothes either way. You use soap and hot water so not sure what the worry is.

Once the solids come if you don't wash it off it gets a bit gross but still clean in the end.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3274 posts
1228 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
t3359 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 9:26 pm

bjl
My baby went as long as 8 days between poops. She hardly pooped at all. The doctor said it is all normal. He said "some babies poop 8 times a day, some poop once every 8 days" lol. She normally was at least 4-5 days between poops.
Mar 9, 2012
712 posts
214 upvotes
KITCHENER
brobinsoncc wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 1:10 pm
Every one is telling us that this is a bad idea.

What experiences/advice do the fine folks here have for me?
We tried that for the second child.
A lot of rashes.
A lot of mess.
A lot of work.
Lots and lots of clean-ups.
A lot of commitment needed.
We also had gone for the gold standard in cloth.

If the wife is 100% committed then sure, go for it. We last maybe a few weeks. You still need disposable for going out and about too. Who wants a soggy, smelly, cloth diaper lingering around?

Kids prefer pampers or huggies, tho. You can make it about the kid, if you need to.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3775 posts
730 upvotes
Sask.
We used cloth for the first eight or 10 months, and I'm so very glad we did - our son never had any diaper rash at all. Using liners, solids aren't any problem at all. Soaking and washing were just never any big deal, just worked it into a daily routine.
Primary reason for using cloth were for his comfort, the cost was secondary - and it was a lot cheaper than when we went to disposables. The reason we switched was twofold - he got his first tummy bug - for which disposables were a def must, and he also would have needed to go to a larger size diaper anyway. He was potty trained at two, so we just had to use them another year.

OP, remember whatever you decide, there is no right or wrong answer - it's what works out for your baby and the parents.
Mar 9, 2012
712 posts
214 upvotes
KITCHENER
As I had said, if the wife (mother) is totally committed, it can work out. My wife at the time was gong ho about doing this, but reality set in, and the work involved didn't seem worth it to her. And I was working 60 hours a week, so coming home and soaking and washing diapers just was too much to handle, along with the other laundry and household cleaning I had to do.

But yeah, diapers are expensive. But at this point, water in my city, (Kitchener) is getting so expensive it might negate much of the savings anyway...
May 12, 2009
656 posts
138 upvotes
Er, my husband did just as many loads of laundry as I did, and changed just as many diapers. What an odd comment.
Dec 28, 2010
257 posts
84 upvotes
scooping the solids... we held the cloth diaper in the toilet and flushed bye poop. And the cloth in the laundry after no soaking just wash it right away.

Oh and the RESP's are pretty fat with the money we saved. If only they would start doing their homework now...
Actions speak louder than words