Parenting & Family

My wife wants to do cloth diapers

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2017 8:32 pm
Feb 8, 2017
240 posts
92 upvotes
first world problems, eh? we went with disposable with our kids and they lived. so did our friends kids that used cloth. who cares, pick whatever makes you happy. pros and cons for both
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11400 posts
1058 upvotes
Kanata
We went with cloth for both our sons, I didn't think anything of it. I actually preferred cloth to disposables. To be fair, my wife did the laundry but I would say the changes were 50/50 so I had plenty of experience with doing snaps/clasps/prefolds, and all that.
Oct 24, 2011
60 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
at home, cloth is ok... i highly recommend disposable when you are out, makes life a lot easier!

Also, maybe it's the cloth diapers that we got, i find cloth diapers leak easier than disposable.
Nov 13, 2013
648 posts
220 upvotes
OTTAWA
Sorkid49 wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 3:02 pm
at home, cloth is ok... i highly recommend disposable when you are out, makes life a lot easier!

Also, maybe it's the cloth diapers that we got, i find cloth diapers leak easier than disposable.
Number 1 certainly leaks faster with cloth especially overnight or when a bit older. Blow outs are much more common with disposables though and frankly one of those is worse than 20 leaks.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4712 posts
390 upvotes
Scarborough
in many countries of the world they only can afford cloth diapers......disposables are expensive and these companies charge a lot for them here knowing thta most prefer these.

washing is an issue here too. In other countries they have floors and special area to wash clothes in each home. Here its all tiled floors with no wash area. Only sink, toilet or bathtubs available so its limited
Sep 3, 2013
643 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
OP, what did you decide to do and how is it going?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15943 posts
1853 upvotes
brobinsoncc wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 1:10 pm
Every one is telling us that this is a bad idea.
I would just use regular diapers. Let her try for a couple weeks and she'll probably switch.
Aug 22, 2014
902 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto, ON
brobinsoncc wrote:

What experiences/advice do the fine folks here have for me?
Kayceern wrote:
May 10th, 2017 11:09 am
OP, what did you decide to do and how is it going?
Any updates from OP?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1109 posts
324 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sn00ch wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 7:15 pm
Any updates from OP?
She doesn’t like them and has mostly been using regular ones. Knew this was goning to be a bad idea. Her mom bought them as a gift so we didn’t spend anything on them at least.
Nov 13, 2013
648 posts
220 upvotes
OTTAWA
brobinsoncc wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 8:33 pm
She doesn’t like them and has mostly been using regular ones. Knew this was goning to be a bad idea. Her mom bought them as a gift so we didn’t spend anything on them at least.
Doesn't like using them or washing them?
Hard to do anything if one part of the couple is strongly against it.
Oct 14, 2017
16 posts
brobinsoncc wrote:

What experiences/advice do the fine folks here have for me?
We did the cloth thing for about a year and a bit. We did it for cost saving and environmental issues. It was tough at the beginnning, but like anything else....once we got in the routine it was good. We eventually switched back to disposable when life got really busy. I would recommend it. Lots of choice out there.
Oct 28, 2016
112 posts
15 upvotes
I support your wife on this. The most cases I have seen so far about the babies having rash on their buttock is when they wear diapers all day long. I think it's really not healthy. The butt got skin also, it needs light and air. I'm pretty sure it likes freedom as well. And cloth diaper is pretty close to that.
Aug 5, 2008
142 posts
87 upvotes
Dieagosilva wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 4:37 pm
I support your wife on this. The most cases I have seen so far about the babies having rash on their buttock is when they wear diapers all day long. I think it's really not healthy. The butt got skin also, it needs light and air. I'm pretty sure it likes freedom as well. And cloth diaper is pretty close to that.

Please elaborate because people usually leave on disposables way longer.