• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2017 1:57 am
Nov 13, 2013
752 posts
253 upvotes
OTTAWA
t3359 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 2:43 am
Butts aren't like house plants - why do they need light? I can understand air would help keep things dry.

Anyway, kidding aside. Aren't disposables more absorbent than cloth? I would think that would be better in that sense at least.

bjl
It is counter-intuitive but from my experience disposables seem to cause a lot more rashes than frequently changed cloth diapers. Most likely the lack of ventilation or the chemicals in the diaper.
Nov 29, 2017
1 posts
Do want to add that the cloth diapers that I used, the old-fashioned ones, which by the way are still around today and readily available, were super-economical!

Like pennies per load to launder, and well under $100 to purchase, that's everything... diapers, pins, rubber pants, diaper pail.
Nov 13, 2013
752 posts
253 upvotes
OTTAWA
Retromom wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 3:17 pm
Do want to add that the cloth diapers that I used, the old-fashioned ones, which by the way are still around today and readily available, were super-economical!

Like pennies per load to launder, and well under $100 to purchase, that's everything... diapers, pins, rubber pants, diaper pail.
Pennies per load seems like a very low estimate if you are paying for water and hot water costs. Water alone might be 50 cents per load as you will want to rinse several times and also do a pre-wash. Using gas for hot water might be another 10 cents. Of course in a condo you are usually only paying for the detergent which as you say is a few cents. (Cheaper ones are actually better for diapers)
Jul 16, 2013
98 posts
18 upvotes
From my own experience, cloth diapering a new born is a nightmare. She is tiny that nothing fits snug enough to prevent leaks. U r looking st constantly changing the baby
Yes, you should change baby every 2 hours at most
But babies sleep a lot
You r not going to wake them up just to do nappy change
Disposable diaper keep them dry and sleep longer and better st this stage
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15156 posts
1109 upvotes
Thornhill
fogetmylogin wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:10 am
It is counter-intuitive but from my experience disposables seem to cause a lot more rashes than frequently changed cloth diapers. Most likely the lack of ventilation or the chemicals in the diaper.
Possible, since disposables aren't exactly made of natural components, but a more fair comparison would be to change the diapers at the same rate... e.g., every 2 hours.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Nov 13, 2013
752 posts
253 upvotes
OTTAWA
t3359 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 9:14 pm
Possible, since disposables aren't exactly made of natural components, but a more fair comparison would be to change the diapers at the same rate... e.g., every 2 hours.

bjl
Good point. We use disposable overnight and it lasts almost 12 hours so not a fair comparison to a cloth that is on for 2 or 3 hours max. I find this to be a good compromise. We also use disposables sometimes if going out especially if it will be an extended time in a wrap or stroller. It works well for us. I don't find washing them to be much more work than throwing out a bunch of disposables in all honesty. I am in an apartment and have to go to the lobby and then outside to take out the garbage so doing that twice more per day would be annoying. Washing is throw them in and press start 2 or 3 times and then done. Folding another minute or two.