None
[OP]
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto

Mysterious $740 Hospital Bill That Has Damaged Credit Record

This is a question for a friend who has a big problem. He used to work for a company as a skilled house framer making $34/hr but this winter he decided to go alone and be a company himself, got 2 guys working for him and has contracts to build homes. He wanted to open a business account at Bank Of Montreal and they told him he has a lien against him for an unpaid $740 bill from Humber River hospital. BMO told him to take care of that matter because they could not open an account for him until he does.

So he goes to said hospital and they cannot find any record of him owing that money. The hospital told him to go back to the bank and tell them he does not owe them money. So he goes back to the bank and they tell him that's a matter between the hospital and equifax or whatever the credit scoring company is called. How does he get a hold of Equifax? Do they have a phone number? Everybody is kicking him around like a soccer ball meanwhile he cannot work and he might lose the contracts because his 2 men are not going to work with him if they don't get paid.

He is stuck in the middle and both the hospital and BMO have cleaned their hands and are not in a hurry nor do they care to help him out. Where can he complain or what can he do? He has never been to a hospital or owes money to anybody, he is single and is not married.
6 replies
Apr 28, 2014
675 posts
174 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Gammatron wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 11:48 pm
This is a question for a friend who has a big problem. He used to work for a company as a skilled house framer making $34/hr but this winter he decided to go alone and be a company himself, got 2 guys working for him and has contracts to build homes. He wanted to open a business account at Bank Of Montreal and they told him he has a lien against him for an unpaid $740 bill from Humber River hospital. BMO told him to take care of that matter because they could not open an account for him until he does.

So he goes to said hospital and they cannot find any record of him owing that money. The hospital told him to go back to the bank and tell them he does not owe them money. So he goes back to the bank and they tell him that's a matter between the hospital and equifax or whatever the credit scoring company is called. How does he get a hold of Equifax? Do they have a phone number? Everybody is kicking him around like a soccer ball meanwhile he cannot work and he might lose the contracts because his 2 men are not going to work with him if they don't get paid.

He is stuck in the middle and both the hospital and BMO have cleaned their hands and are not in a hurry nor do they care to help him out. Where can he complain or what can he do? He has never been to a hospital or owes money to anybody, he is single and is not married.
http://www.consumer.equifax.ca/cs7/Sate ... cale=en_ca

Tell him to contact Equifax and request his credit report - if there is an inaccuracy, he can then file a dispute with Equifax who will go to Humber River Hospital to verify the accuracy of the information. If there is an error, it will be removed.

All Equifax does is report on the infomation given to them by its members (i.e. banks, utilities, phone companies, and in this case, the hospital) - if a member submits wrong information, it has to be corrected by that member.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
4000 posts
6015 upvotes
Ontario
Could someone else with the same name have been source of the bill, which hospital or its collection agent put on his record?
2019-roll out the gold carpet! Wins to date: a t-shirt, 6 music playlists (but I'm not on Spotify yet).
[OP]
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
Ciel wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 11:59 pm
Could someone else with the same name have been source of the bill, which hospital or its collection agent put on his record?
That was the hunch I told him I had but c'mon what happens when a John Smith goes deadbeat, 10,000 other John Smiths pay the penalty too? The guy has an ethnic name but its not a weird name so Im sire the GTA has many of the same names.

So you guys are actually telling me that equifax have personnel that will physically go to the hospital and verify themselves??
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3159 posts
302 upvotes
Mississauga
nope.

what you have to do is find out who the money is actually owed to, i.e. the hospital directly or a collections agency. you can find this information on the equifax credit report (worth pulling reports atleast once a year anyway).

then get the hospital to write a dated letter stating that they have no record of your friend owing them anything, with your friends name/address stated on the letter.

if it turns out that the amount is owed to a collections agency, give them a copy of the letter along with another copy to equifax.

if it turns out that the amount is owed to just the hospital, give equifax a copy of the letter.

in parallel take the letter to the bank and see if they play nice and let you open a business account with that letter in hand. if not, be prepared to wait a few months.

and yes, this happens frequently enough with common names and sometime uncommon names too.
Jul 9, 2012
72 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa
Previously I had few problems with equifax, related to information on my credit file that didn't belong to me(They had WRONG SIN number on my file + $7000 student loan on my account and a wrong phone number.) I contacted Equifax over phone and explained them the situation. They said they will start investigation on my file and after 2-3 week they corrected all the information. Later I order a new credit file and everything was removed.

I hope this help.