Tags:
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto

In-n-Out Burgers

Not sure who here has experienced In-n-Out, a legendary burger franchise that can be found in California and Nevada.

Such amazing food, legendary secret menu, bible scripture references on packaging, and a tribute to "It's a mad mad mad mad world" world at many locations (two palm trees crossing each other to make an X).

More importantly, it is a successful fast food franchise that treats its employees amazingly. There are long term managers who roll in 6 figures.

I had no idea that it is presently owned by a 35 year old. Crazy.

Meet In-N-Out’s Billionaire Owner, a Millennial Drag Racing Enthusiast Who Has Been Married 4 Times and Escaped Kidnapping Twice
66 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5839 posts
1992 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty much my first stop whenever I get out of LAX and pick up the car. There's one right around the corner from all the rental lots. Had it 3 times on my last trip to Cali this past February. Best fast food burger I've ever had by far. Visual documentation for posterity attachedFace With Tears Of Joy

There's also one just off the strip in Vegas a block or so from Excalibur and New York. That was the first location I ever had it a couple years ago and it was good but the ones around Cali were better in my experience. I think that Vegas strip location was just too packed and busy to have the same quality.
jZMdQPd.jpg
Dec 12, 2010
108 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Can't wait for Vegas in a few months. In-N-Out may be my first stop after checking into the hotel :D
Apr 12, 2005
806 posts
63 upvotes
they make a fine burger but it hardly lives up to the hype although I do love those yellow chile peppers.

lousy fries

Dont believe the hype. Its very good but its still just a burger

Lots places in TO do just as well IMO. Burgers Priest, Holy Chuck etc
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5839 posts
1992 upvotes
Toronto
superizzy wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:39 pm
they make a fine burger but it hardly lives up to the hype although I do love those yellow chile peppers.

lousy fries

I wouldn't call the fries lousy but there's just nothing special about them. They're just average fast food fries

Burgers priest and Holy Chuck cost like 2-3x as much as In and Out. That double double I posted is like $4. There is no better fast food burger for that price
Kab wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:36 pm
Can't wait for Vegas in a few months. In-N-Out may be my first stop after checking into the hotel :D
If you plan on walking to the one across the freeway from Excalibur/New York let me save you from the struggle I went through and let you know that you can only cross the freeway on the Excalibur side. What a mission it was getting there when we didn't know that the first time smh
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
superizzy wrote:

lousy fries

Did you order your fries "animal style"?

Worth mentioning that so many places we see now exist because of the influence of In-n-Out, which has been doing it since 1948. Everyone has tried to copy secret menus.

A secret menu is not really remarkable in the internet age, where you can access these secrets online. What is remarkable is how long it existed prior to the internet, passed on through word of mouth.

For those interested:

In-n-Out Secret menu ranking

This also goes over some of the history:

21 Things You Didn't Know About In-N-Out
Jan 26, 2017
177 posts
117 upvotes
When in Vegas, go to Shake Shack instead of In n Out.
Much better burgers in my opinion...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5839 posts
1992 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:58 pm
A secret menu is not really remarkable in the internet age, where you can access these secrets online. What is remarkable is how long it existed prior to the internet, passed on through word of mouth.

For those interested:

In-n-Out Secret menu ranking
My wife found out about the grilled cheese recently when she asked if they had any vegetarian options and she loved it. I've had the animal style fries once but that with a double double is overkill, especially when you're walking and doing a lot of sightseeing after
Bebo123 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:03 pm
When in Vegas, go to Shake Shack instead of In n Out.
Much better burgers in my opinion...
I mean Shake Shack burgers cost 2x as much as well. The appeal of In & out his how good it is for the price.
You want even better burgers then you can go to Holsteins in the Cosmo but then you're looking at a $40-50 dine in bill
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
The LAX store is a must visit every time I fly in/out of LA.
A decade ago, on a flight back to Toronto, I had a multi hour layover in Calgary where I met with a friend to kill time. Naturally, I brought some burgers for us to enjoy.
Even reheated - yum!

One day, I will order the 100x100.
One can dream.....

The food is great (for the price), but what about the business model?

The net worth is pegged at $1.21 billion.
They keep reasonable prices, use much more expensive ingredients (fresh VS frozen), and treat their employees amazingly.

The business model clearly works - why is it that few others follow such a path, and seem dedicated towards exploiting their workforce?

Next time you visit, take a look at the faces of the workers. They are not smiling because a corporate policy tells them to - they do so because they feel pride and respect in their jobs.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5839 posts
1992 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:33 pm
Next time you visit, take a look at the faces of the workers. They are not smiling because a corporate policy tells them to - they do so because they feel pride and respect in their jobs.
Lol I don't know about that. I would agree the quality of food is leaps and bounds better than comparably priced fast food but saying the employees are proud to work there is kind of reaching
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:39 pm
Lol I don't know about that. I would agree the quality of food is leaps and bounds better than comparably priced fast food but saying the employees are proud to work there is kind of reaching
I've talked to a few while there. Many are proud.
I'm not saying the work itself is amazing, but the stigma is the quite different than a McJob.
11. In-N-Out has one of the lowest turnover rates in the fast food industry.
The average In-N-Out manager stays 14 years, while the average part-time associate stays for two years. Compared to other fast food restaurants, where only half of all employees stay longer than a year, that's a lot.
14. The iconic arrow logo stands for, "The arrow points to pride," and, "We all work under the same arrow."
Feb 5, 2007
372 posts
83 upvotes
Mississauga
It was good in the sense everything was fresh. I saw them punching potatoes to cut fries and fry them immediately. The secret menu is also crazy good with the different combos. and a double cheeseburger was just 3.50 US? If i remember right. Before I came home, i stuffed 3 of these in my backpack to eat on the plane :)
May 28, 2012
9732 posts
1947 upvotes
Saskatoon
superizzy wrote:

lousy fries

This was my experience too...the fries were mediocre and the burger was decent but I've had a lot better at our local Fuddruckers. I think Shake Shack was a bit better if I recall correctly.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1037 posts
268 upvotes
shikotee wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:35 am
Not sure who here has experienced In-n-Out, a legendary burger franchise that can be found in California and Nevada.
They are in Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, Texas & Utah - coming to Colorado.
Yes, I know that's still all out west, but I was pleasantly surprised on a trip to Phoenix to indulge in a double double.

If you are in Michigan or Ohio, you might want to try Culver's.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3546 posts
208 upvotes
went once to In and Out in vegas and made an effort to get there. wasn't worth it. i got the animal fries and couldn't finish it, burger was average, i've had a lot better in Toronto