• Apr 5th, 2020 10:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3016 posts
1614 upvotes
Vancouver

Which N95 respirators do you have?

For those who have respirators at home, which models do you have?

Some of the ones I have include:

- Kimberly-Clark PFR95 (fluid resistant, FDA cleared)
- 3M Aura 1870+ (fluid resistant, FDA cleared)
- 3M Aura 9210+
- 3M Aura 9211+
- 3M 9211 (old stock)

I've been fit tested for the 9210 series and from what I can tell, most people fit the 9210 series.
Images
  • 1870P Box 1.jpg
  • 1870P1.jpg
  • 9210P Box 1.jpg
  • 9210P1.jpg
  • KC200 Box 1.jpg
57 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5998 posts
1020 upvotes
If you’ve been fit tested for a specific mask and your fit testing is up to date, that’s the one you need to use.

But why would you need an N95 mask at home?

From what I can tell, no reliable source is recommending that the average community member needs to don such a mask.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12504 posts
2021 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
amz155 wrote: If you’ve been fit tested for a specific mask and your fit testing is up to date, that’s the one you need to use.

From what I can tell, no reliable source is recommending that the average community member needs to don such a mask.
True that. Only 3 cases confirmed in Canada. The virus is not like an allergen. It does not travel hundreds of feet or km's via air/wind. It has to cling to some liquid like sneezing, coughing, exhaled breathing. So at most it travels 3-4 feet radius around an infected person/carrier then drops via gravity. On it's own the virus doesnt survive long then dissipates.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
4740 posts
3223 upvotes
Why are people freaking out if you are in Canada?

Most Asians are already staying home and many places have policy in place to tell people return from China to work from home for 14 days.

Out of 4 case, didn't one already get released and 1 shows no symptoms but positive?

Not sure why so many deaths in China but it's probably due to not following international isolation procedures.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6769 posts
3184 upvotes
Alberta
Xtrema wrote: Why are people freaking out if you are in Canada?

Most Asians are already staying home and many places have policy in place to tell people return from China to work from home for 14 days.

Out of 4 case, didn't one already get released and 1 shows no symptoms but positive?

Not sure why so many deaths in China but it's probably due to not following international isolation procedures.
You do realize that there is over 11M people in Wuhan alone right? And that the virus showed up at the busiest travel time in China for Chinese New Years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3016 posts
1614 upvotes
Vancouver
amz155 wrote: If you’ve been fit tested for a specific mask and your fit testing is up to date, that’s the one you need to use.

For the same reason that the FDA has cleared certain N95 respirators for "general public use."

Respirators can be helpful in the event of public health medical emergencies.

The 3M models I have are identical in design to the ones cleared by the FDA for public use.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3016 posts
1614 upvotes
Vancouver
Anybody else willing to share what they have at home?

I bought another two 50 unit boxes of Kimberly-Clark PFR95.

VWR no longer lists respirators on their website. Other scientific supply companies have severely limited purchase even for legitimate entities.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6238 posts
1858 upvotes
Markham
Spinner wrote: For the same reason that the FDA has cleared certain N95 respirators for "general public use."

Respirators can be helpful in the event of public health medical emergencies.

The 3M models I have are identical in design to the ones cleared by the FDA for public use.
From your link:

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not generally recommend facemasks and respirators for use in home or community settings. "
Jul 24, 2019
351 posts
329 upvotes
Canada
Spinner wrote: For those who have respirators at home, which models do you have?

Some of the ones I have include:

- Kimberly-Clark PFR95 (fluid resistant, FDA cleared)
- 3M Aura 1870+ (fluid resistant, FDA cleared)
- 3M Aura 9210+
- 3M Aura 9211+
- 3M 9211 (old stock)

I've been fit tested for the 9210 series and from what I can tell, most people fit the 9210 series.
Where did you go to get fit tested for your mask? How long ago did you get fit tested? Do you have a face shield as well? What gloves are you using? Are you using disposable clothing and shoe covers?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3016 posts
1614 upvotes
Vancouver
kimmelite wrote: Where did you go to get fit tested for your mask? How long ago did you get fit tested? Do you have a face shield as well? What gloves are you using? Are you using disposable clothing and shoe covers?
My department at work has regular fit testing sessions each year. I was fit tested less than 6 months ago.

I have a couple of wrap around face shields from Medicom. I have several boxes of PVC and nitrile gloves also from Medicom.

Shoe covers, yes - KC KleenGuard.

I don't expect respiratory secretions or body fluids on my clothing.
Dec 15, 2017
8 posts
2 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: True that. Only 3 cases confirmed in Canada. The virus is not like an allergen. It does not travel hundreds of feet or km's via air/wind. It has to cling to some liquid like sneezing, coughing, exhaled breathing. So at most it travels 3-4 feet radius around an infected person/carrier then drops via gravity. On it's own the virus doesnt survive long then dissipates.
I wash my hands regularly and rarely get sick. The last 2 times I did get a cold/flu it was because I was on the train and someone sitting across me coughed or sneezed directly into my face cause they didn't cover their mouth. So what's the solution here besides making it acceptable to punch these people in the throat? That's the reason some of us want masks.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1247 posts
860 upvotes
GTA West
I have 3M 9211's (N95) that I bought for a trip to a polluted country. I found that I couldn't wear them for any extended period because they obstructed my breathing. The better the filtering, the worse the airflow.

The good thing about these is that they do fit tightly and have a one-way valve that helps keep your face cooler, and your glasses don't fog up.
Banned
Mar 10, 2020
5 posts
7 upvotes
Me and my partner went on a small shopping spree a couple weeks ago for protective gear, hand sanitizers, medicines and broad spectrum antibiotics(US).

For protective gear this is what we got so far:

approx. 200 x n95 Workforce N95 - homedepot
2 x 50pk box Ear loop surginal face masks west coast janitorial
8-9 x 50pk box of connor surginal face masks canadian tire
2 x 20pk box folding style safemark n95 west coast janitorial
2 x 3m clones full face silicone respirator from China (package in transit)
2 x north/honeywell 1/2 face silicone respirator midland liquidators
2 x north/honeywell full face respirator craigslist
18-20 x pairs of p100 honeywell filters Midland/Canadian tire
2 x dewalt googles KMS tools
2 x 3m low profile googles Canadian tire
6 x 200pk box nitrile gloves midland
4 x 100pk box nitrile gloves walmart
4 x 100pk box latex gloves walmart

Missing disposable white hazmat style suit/coveralls.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12377 posts
6244 upvotes
Toronto
bitlock wrote: Me and my partner went on a small shopping spree a couple weeks ago for protective gear, hand sanitizers, medicines and broad spectrum antibiotics(US).

For protective gear this is what we got so far:

approx. 200 x n95 Workforce N95 - homedepot
2 x 50pk box Ear loop surginal face masks west coast janitorial
8-9 x 50pk box of connor surginal face masks canadian tire
2 x 20pk box folding style safemark n95 west coast janitorial
2 x 3m clones full face silicone respirator from China (package in transit)
2 x north/honeywell 1/2 face silicone respirator midland liquidators
2 x north/honeywell full face respirator craigslist
18-20 x pairs of p100 honeywell filters Midland/Canadian tire
2 x dewalt googles KMS tools
2 x 3m low profile googles Canadian tire
6 x 200pk box nitrile gloves midland
4 x 100pk box nitrile gloves walmart
4 x 100pk box latex gloves walmart

Missing disposable white hazmat style suit/coveralls.
right. but no TP?
troll.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
2127 posts
1068 upvotes
what about the 3M 6000 or 7000 series half face respirators?