• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2019 3:05 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1567 posts
47 upvotes
usa

Name of orange variety

I’ve been looking for a type of orange for over 10 years now. I have no clue what is the variety and hope someone can help me.

size of a baseball
peel (including the pith) is extremely thin, shiny, and smooth
18 replies
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
"Thin, shiny and smooth" peel reminds me of a honey tangerine but it's not baseball shaped.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1567 posts
47 upvotes
usa
It’s the size of a baseball, not shape. It’s obviously not perfectly round like a baseball. I know for sure it’s not tangerine. Back in the day when they’re still available, they were always from sunkist.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
10 years...it might not be on offer by Sunkist anymore. It definitely sounds more likely to be a mandarin or tangerine variety than an orange, however, as oranges tend to have the thicker skin. Perhaps a tangelo?

https://www.sunkist.com/citrus/tangerines-tangelos/
https://www.sunkist.com/citrus/mandarins/

Hope you find your citrus. :D

One day I hope to figure out the name of the type of mini banana with an orange/peach-colored centre that I once ate at a Cuban resort. It tasted like any other banana, but it was a fascinating surprise to me when I bit into it.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1567 posts
47 upvotes
usa
I’m quite sure it’s orange. We used to buy it by the case. I actually saw it at the Asian supermarket at Middlefield and Steeles (next to Congee Original). I was going to get it when I’m ready to check out, but totally forgot about it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
Valencia

I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1567 posts
47 upvotes
usa
Valencia have lots of pulp, so that can’t be it. I mean all orange (all citrus) have pulp, but Valencia have a lot. The type I’m looking for, the skin of the pulp is very thin.
Oct 1, 2006
530 posts
80 upvotes
Was the skin harder than normal?
I'm thinking the variety died due to the multiple various pandemic diseases citrus trees suffers from and got replaced with smaller varieties of that type.
peanutz wrote: One day I hope to figure out the name of the type of mini banana with an orange/peach-colored centre that I once ate at a Cuban resort. It tasted like any other banana, but it was a fascinating surprise to me when I bit into it.
Could it be this? Egg Banana, Kluai Khai
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1567 posts
47 upvotes
usa
The skin is not hard at all. With a hard skin, it usually break into small pieces when you peel it. The one I’m talking about, it usually peel in larger chunks, not like clementine easy, but nothing compared to orange with thick hard skin.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
Hahaha I have no idea, but yes it did look a lot like that! It's pretty exciting to see, I've only ever seen bananas with the light-colored flesh before. I guess if I ever go back to Thailand I will have to be on the lookout for bananas of that kind.

@gta1216 If you ever find and buy the oranges you are looking for, please do take a picture. I'm curious now.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Fairchild mandarin? (3/4 tangerine x 1/4 grapefruit) In season now and heavily planted in California where Sunkist is based, shiny thin skin, seeds, rounder than a honey mandarin/tangerine, juicier rather than pulpier.

Shiny and juicy means it has to be some kind of tangerine cross.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6228 posts
4829 upvotes
bump

It's a normal thing to see lots of clementines being sold during this holiday month. My question is which country and brand have the sweetest and best tasting clementines? My last few boxes have been from Morocco and weren't as sweet as the ones I remember. Can anyone tell me where the best clementines are to be found this month? Thanks in advance!
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
You might want to look for what you're looking for in a Chinese supermarket. I think what you're looking for is a varietal sometimes, IIRC, called a Li or Lee orange. It is similar to a Valencia which may be derived from it.
peanutz wrote: One day I hope to figure out the name of the type of mini banana with an orange/peach-colored centre that I once ate at a Cuban resort. It tasted like any other banana, but it was a fascinating surprise to me when I bit into it.
There are literally thousand of varieties of bananas but all the developed world gets is the Cavendish which is a sterile clone (no seeds) that was found in some British aristrocrat's greenhouse (it may have originate in China). It replaced the Gros Michel which was wiped out by a fungus (same fate seems to be impending/imminent for the Cavendish). Cuba is probably one country where you can get any bananas except the Cavendish.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
Mr_Fanta wrote: bump

It's a normal thing to see lots of clementines being sold during this holiday month. My question is which country and brand have the sweetest and best tasting clementines? My last few boxes have been from Morocco and weren't as sweet as the ones I remember. Can anyone tell me where the best clementines are to be found this month? Thanks in advance!
ClemenGold are super sweet and the best I've ever had. I get them at Costco, no idea who sells them.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Keelie wrote: ClemenGold are super sweet and the best I've ever had. I get them at Costco, no idea who sells them.
They are from south africa
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1567 posts
47 upvotes
usa
I found the orange by Sunkist I was asking about. It is navel, but most of the navel orange I've seen over the years are very large and the pith is very thick. Only 1 or 2 supermarkets had them and it's always a hit or miss.

I bought another bag last week and was very surprised what was in the bag. The bag / sack was Sunkist, but the label on the oranges were from Boone something. Sunkist labels are blue, but this was black. It tasted so different then realise the label was different. What was even more surprising was in the sack, the code was different from each other. One was 3107, another started with 4.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Long shot, but Orri mandarin?

They're like huge mandarins (so thin easy peel skin)
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Oranges are different from mandarins and tangerines.
I've been looking for a variety myself but could not find it at all.
The one I looked for was big like baseball but the skin remained a dark green while the flesh inside was deep orange.
I remembered it as "King" orange and lo and behold, I found it on google.
So maybe type in the general characteristics of the one you are thinking of OP and you might get lucky.