• Aug 22nd, 2007 8:27 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 4, 2002
25 posts
Middle of Nowhere, O…

namesdatabase.com - stay away!

For anyone who hasn't guessed yet www.namesdatabase.com is a scam. Seems the big thing is to go to this site, sign up and then sign your friends up. Only problem is you will never get into this site. It will always come back and tell you that the last addy is already in their system and to sign up someone else. Or at least that's what it looks like it does. Has anyone heard about this site? Correct me if I'm wrong but it SCREAMS scam to me. And if it is I'm going to be really pissed at the person who signed me up!
Share:
5 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
10584 posts
114 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the warning. I'm curious though, what sort of website did they pretend to be? I gather it's a Name Database, but would like to know what services they promised, in case I see another reincarnation of it.
- Absolute
[OP]
Feb 4, 2002
25 posts
Middle of Nowhere, O…
From what I understand you sign up and then you can search for friends. Their "trying to make the world a smaller place" but I don't know anyone who was actually successful in getting into the site let alone be able to search for friends.
Jan 24, 2004
400 posts
Ottawa, Ontario
I thought they used the info from Classmates.com....
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
8911 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
tnsmayo wrote:From what I understand you sign up and then you can search for friends. Their "trying to make the world a smaller place" but I don't know anyone who was actually successful in getting into the site let alone be able to search for friends.
hmm i dunno... i managed to get mine to work and my friends as well... funny thing an old HS bud of mine actually found me thru this... so i guess it varies from other ppl...
Aug 21, 2007
1 posts
Cowtown
as I (and many others) have found out, if you make noise, you will get your money back. When I emailed them, telling them that I wanted my account information (including cc number) removed permanently from their system and that there'd better be a refund of the subscription charge appear on my credit card statement or I'd be complaining to the Better Business Bureau, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that they had done just that. I just received my monthly cc statement and saw a refund credit within a week of my complaining. I had read somewhere that some consumer advocacy group in the U.S. was contemplating taking action against Classmates.com, so maybe they did and the company is sensitive to complaints now. I don't know.

Anyway, I really think "reverse billing" is wrong. And I've gotten very leery of subscribing to anything over the Internet.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)