• Sep 28th, 2013 10:33 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17604 posts
737 upvotes
Brampton

Nannu's Pastizzi in Meadowvale

Just a heads up, there is FINALLY a place to get good homemade pastizzi in Peel, and as I mentioned they are homemade, not just the Malta Bake Shop ones frozen and rebaked

Pastizzi are a Maltese pastry which consists of a filling (usually cheese or peas) wrapped in buttery crispy phyllo dough and baked.. they are super crispy. My favorites usually come from Malta Bake Shop in Toronto, but I rarely am in that neighbourhood anymore so I only get to indulge when my Maltese buddy brings them to the pub..

Nannu's Pastizzi - 6981 Millcreek Dr. Unit 1

I guess their specialty must be pastizzi but they also have a small hot table and some other offerings.. I was only passing by and noticed it was finally open so I just brought a dozen pastizzi home for the family. $15/doz baked, $11 unbaked I think, after tax. More expensive than Malta Bake Shop but also more filling inside:

curried peas, onion, corned beef

cheese

the pea ones are great as a snack with beer, and the cheese ones are best for breakfast or with wine

just thought i would pass along the details because until now there has been nowhere to get fresh and hot pastizzi without baking the Malta Bake Shop ones yourself at home

cheers!
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
will try as breakfast with wine.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1960 upvotes
Surprised to see pastizzi posted here. I have a Maltese friend who works in Meadowvale so I will let him know. It is too far for me to go. He gets his right now from the Malta Bake Shop. I had some last year that were bought from a place in Mississauga but I didn't ask where they got them because they tasted like Peel water (yuck!). They definitely weren't filled as well as these.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17604 posts
737 upvotes
Brampton
Lol, that's funny..

Malta Bake Shop is like the gold standard for sure, there's another popular place in Etobicoke I haven't tried though called Pastizzi Plus.. I'm curious to know where your friend got them in Mississauga, if you see him again can you ask..

And yeah, the water here in Peel IS worse than other GTA cities isn't it?? I always say this but everyone always says no, it's the same
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1960 upvotes
duckdown wrote:
Sep 26th, 2013 9:40 pm
Lol, that's funny..

Malta Bake Shop is like the gold standard for sure, there's another popular place in Etobicoke I haven't tried though called Pastizzi Plus.. I'm curious to know where your friend got them in Mississauga, if you see him again can you ask..

And yeah, the water here in Peel IS worse than other GTA cities isn't it?? I always say this but everyone always says no, it's the same
Unfortunately I'm not sure who brought the ones from Mississauga. It wasn't my Maltese friend because he wasn't there. It was at party with people I don't usual see. I just remember someone saying someone bought them at a place in Mississauga. I would have asked where if they were good.

When I first moved to Peel, I remember opening up the washing machine and wondering who put bleach in it and I live alone. The chlorine taste in the water is terrible. Heck you can even smell it when you flush the toilet. I almost switched to bottle water and I hate bottled water. I now flush the pipes and filter it through a Brita. Even then, it needs to sit overnight. Fortunately I have one of the large dispensers with the spigot. I complained to the Region of Peel in 2009 when the chlorine got much worse. Here is the response I got:
Hello, the water that you drink is under strict regulations that the Region of Peel must follow. We do not add any more chlorine than what is required to kill bacteria and is what is required for us to add based on a regulation. The water in the City of Toronto is treated differently. They add a chemical that binds with the chlorine to keep it in the water longer as they have more pipes and a longer distance the travel in Toronto plumbing. This chemical keeps the water from smelling like chlorine but it is still there and necessary. We have not changed the level of chlorine in the last few years, it has always been the same.
Right now we are experiencing an odour in the lake that is not removed in our treatment process. It makes the water smell when you turn on the tap but it is harmless. We are monitoring this and when the temperature of the lake starts to go down, it usually goes away.
I hope this explains some things for you and I hope you don't give up on our tap water. It is safe, treated and tested rigorously.
Jan 6, 2009
352 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga
duckdown wrote:
Sep 25th, 2013 2:31 pm
Just a heads up, there is FINALLY a place to get good homemade pastizzi in Peel, and as I mentioned they are homemade, not just the Malta Bake Shop ones frozen and rebaked

Pastizzi are a Maltese pastry which consists of a filling (usually cheese or peas) wrapped in buttery crispy phyllo dough and baked.. they are super crispy. My favorites usually come from Malta Bake Shop in Toronto, but I rarely am in that neighbourhood anymore so I only get to indulge when my Maltese buddy brings them to the pub..

Nannu's Pastizzi - 6981 Millcreek Dr. Unit 1

I guess their specialty must be pastizzi but they also have a small hot table and some other offerings.. I was only passing by and noticed it was finally open so I just brought a dozen pastizzi home for the family. $15/doz baked, $11 unbaked I think, after tax. More expensive than Malta Bake Shop but also more filling inside:

curried peas, onion, corned beef

cheese

the pea ones are great as a snack with beer, and the cheese ones are best for breakfast or with wine

just thought i would pass along the details because until now there has been nowhere to get fresh and hot pastizzi without baking the Malta Bake Shop ones yourself at home

cheers!
Yay!!! So excited, so close to home!
× < >