Automotive

nanoQ Mini 0903 dashcam review (NT96655, Sony IMX322, Capacitor, GPS, WiFi)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2016 1:58 am
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2012
2860 posts
928 upvotes

Review:

Up for review is the Mini 0903 (aka nanoQ) dashcam. The Mini 0903 is manufactured by MEGtech, who also did the original Mini 0806 a while back. The Mini 0806 did not have a good track record for reliability until later batches. Hopefully things have changed for the better as I haven't had any issues with my Mini 0806 (3rd batch), nor Mini 0903 so far.

The Mini 0903 is the smallest of the Mini series and is also the smallest dashcam that I have tested to date. Instead of a cylindrical form factor, the nanoQ takes the shape of a giant pill. It uses the Novatek 96655 chipset and Sony IMX322 CMOS sensor allowing for video recording up to 1080p 30fps. Some notable features include: WiFi, 1.5” LCD display, super capacitor, and a compact GPS mounting bracket. It has all your typical dashcam features, such as auto start/stop, loop recording and a non-buffered parking mode which works like a timelapse (hardwire kit required). Personally, I'm not a fan of the screw mounting bracket as it is not as secure as the rotating ring system implemented in previous Mini dashcams -- I find that the screw gets loose over time, possibly due to vibrations and/or temperature fluctuations.

Video quality from the Mini 0903 is very good from my testing. Day time footage is decent and in line with what you would expect from the Mini series of dashcams. Night footage was much better than I initially expected, probably due to the Sony sensor which performs well in low light conditions. Video at night is bright, and license plates/ road signs are relatively legible. My only gripe with the recording is that noticeable amount glare and reflections in both day and night settings... I suspect that a CPL filter will help a bit, but that's an additional purchase. Default firmware records with a VBR of approx 12-13mbp, but there is firmware that bumps the bitrate to 20mbps for more detail, in theory. The built-in microphone picks up audio quite well.

To use the WiFi feature, you will need to download a third party app (ie. FinalCam) for your Android or iOS device. MEGtech does not have their own app. The functionality of the app is limited to: live view, change settings, download and delete videos. You can't stream videos directly from the dashcam without first downloading them to your device. I find it easier to download the videos to your computer and use Registrator Viewer to view the footage and GPS data together at once.

Overall, the Mini 0903 is a worthy addition to the line of Mini dashcams. It has a good video quality and ton of features aside from a pre-buffered parking mode. Pricing is competitive and I would recommend it to budget dashcam buyers.

Note: It appears that a nanoQ plus model is in the works, supporting higher video resolutions and frame rates. It probably won't be using a Sony CMOS Image Sensor however. Some other dashcams worth checking out at this price range: Xiaomi Yi, A119, Mini 0826, and Mini 0807.

Sample clips:

Stock Photos:

Specifications and feature list:
  • Model: Mini 0903 aka nanoQ
  • Chipset: Novatek 96655
  • Image sensor: Sony IMX322 2.0MP CMOS
  • Lens: 7G F1.7, 135° FOV
  • Display: 1.5“ inch
  • Video Resolution: 1080P (1920 x 1080),720P (1080 x 720),VGA (640 x 480)
  • Video Frame Rate: 30fps, 60fps
  • Video Format: .MOV (H.264)
  • Microphone & Speaker: Built-in
  • Sensors: G-sensor, Motion Detection
  • GPS Logger: Supported (Included)
  • CPL Filter: Supported (Optional)
  • Wi-Fi: Yes (5m range)
  • WDR: Yes
  • Advanced Driver Assistance Systems: Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning
  • Dash Cam Features: Loop Mode, Auto Start/Stop, Parking Guard (unbuffered)
  • Video Out: AV Out, HDMI
  • Ports: Micro USB2.0, AV-Out
  • MicroSD Card Slot Storage: Up to 64GB MicroSD Card
  • Battery & Charging: NO battery, uses capacitor, 5V 1A

Box contents:

1 x NanoQ 0903 Car DVR
1 x GPS Bracket w/ screw
1 x Car Charger (approx. 3m)
1 x USB Cable
1 x Cleaning Cloth
1 x Connector (for other GoPro-style mounts)
2 x Adhesive Sticker
6 x Cable clips
1 x English User Manual