• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2017 5:35 pm
Tags:
None
Sr. Member
May 12, 2014
590 posts
170 upvotes
Markham, ON
ckay1980 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 3:08 pm
There's a trick that I read online about get longer naps. When my son was about 6 months, and during the noon-ish nap, he would wake up after 45mins everyday. So at 40 mins, I would go in the bedroom and wait till I see him start moving like he's about to wake up but eyes still closed, then I would rub his back and make shh sound to make him fall back to sleep. I did this for about 5 days until he stopped waking up after 45mins. He slept for 2 consecutive hours after that.
This is called wake to sleep. I was successful at using it for two kids and not only for naps, also for their sleep at night. Found it in 'Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate With Your Baby', by Tracy Hogg and Melinda Blau

OP, I suggest preparing your self for a rough two weeks and put the baby on a schedule. Might even be less than 2 weeks if the baby adjusts easily.
This is the book I followed, EASY method. I found it helpful to have a guide. The schedule allowed me to have some sort of routine and was able to plan housework and have naps myself.
-To make any methods successful both parents have to be on board. That was the harder part.
Sr. Member
Mar 24, 2015
585 posts
126 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Bobberts wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 8:38 am
This is called wake to sleep. I was successful at using it for two kids and not only for naps, also for their sleep at night. Found it in 'Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate With Your Baby', by Tracy Hogg and Melinda Blau

OP, I suggest preparing your self for a rough two weeks and put the baby on a schedule. Might even be less than 2 weeks if the baby adjusts easily.
This is the book I followed, EASY method. I found it helpful to have a guide. The schedule allowed me to have some sort of routine and was able to plan housework and have naps myself.
-To make any methods successful both parents have to be on board. That was the harder part.
Yes that's the book that was referred to! EASY method worked great for us too. Once the routine was set it was so much easier to plan everything else and I agree that the harder part is to have both parents on board (and grandparents if they are helping). I was on mat leave for a year but it was a challenge when my mother was helping for the first few months with my first son. He didn't fall asleep with her as easy as they were with me. The whole routine would be messed up and he would end up overtired and cranky. I had to start over again a few times.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
3550 posts
1406 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I never napped. My daughter never napped. Each kid is different. I had a nephew who used to put himself down for naps.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
775 posts
210 upvotes
Interesting - my friend said that if babies don't nap, it can affect their development, but some here say it's not needed.

I'll check out the book too - thanks again!
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:

*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Sr. Member
Sep 3, 2013
666 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
ckay1980 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 3:08 pm
There's a trick that I read online about get longer naps. When my son was about 6 months, and during the noon-ish nap, he would wake up after 45mins everyday. So at 40 mins, I would go in the bedroom and wait till I see him start moving like he's about to wake up but eyes still closed, then I would rub his back and make shh sound to make him fall back to sleep. I did this for about 5 days until he stopped waking up after 45mins. He slept for 2 consecutive hours after that.
Sounds like the baby whisperer method. Same method I've been following to sleep train my LO.

OP, here's a rough guideline. Day time sleep are naps.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Childrenssle ... sleep.aspx#
Sr. Member
Sep 3, 2013
666 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Bobberts wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 8:38 am
This is called wake to sleep. I was successful at using it for two kids and not only for naps, also for their sleep at night. Found it in 'Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate With Your Baby', by Tracy Hogg and Melinda Blau

OP, I suggest preparing your self for a rough two weeks and put the baby on a schedule. Might even be less than 2 weeks if the baby adjusts easily.
This is the book I followed, EASY method. I found it helpful to have a guide. The schedule allowed me to have some sort of routine and was able to plan housework and have naps myself.
-To make any methods successful both parents have to be on board. That was the harder part.
Tracy Hogg has 2 books, written before she passed away in 2002 or 2004. I have the more recent one. Just take note that some info are outdated, like the breastfeeding part.

Wake to sleep never worked for my LO, I tried for 2 months. He's now 6 months and looks like the short naps are developmental and not sleep-training related. I suggest starting as early as possible; lesson learned for our next child. As early as they start gaining weight. It'll be a lifesaver 👌🏽
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
775 posts
210 upvotes
Thanks Kayceern

Turns out I needn't worry - he sleeps constantly through the day and then wakes up to feed. Maybe I'll re-assess this when he is 2 months
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:

*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Sr. Member
Jan 2, 2015
980 posts
366 upvotes
springdays wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 4:30 pm
Thanks Kayceern

Turns out I needn't worry - he sleeps constantly through the day and then wakes up to feed. Maybe I'll re-assess this when he is 2 months
Sleep or lack of it was It bigges challenge for ur fist. I read pretty much every book out there, and even when to a seminar for it. I even started writing my own book because I had so much time at night because I wasn't sleeping. :facepalm: Crying Face

What I did learn is that babies sleep patterns do change as they mature. There are definate milestones where it changes, y for u just need to be aware of them. Get the baby in a good habit of learning fall asleep on his own, and then be prepared to research and be flexible. Sleep patterns change when they are teething, sick, gassy, learning to roll over only one way so they wedge themselves in the bars, pulling up, etc. Essentially all the time, so just figure a way that teaches to sleep and you may have to redo it. The first few months are really tough. I remember thinking I love my baby, but not sure if I liked her. Try to get some sleep yourself too.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
775 posts
210 upvotes
Thank Macx2mommy :smile:
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:

*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Sr. Member
Sep 3, 2013
666 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
springdays wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 4:30 pm
Thanks Kayceern

Turns out I needn't worry - he sleeps constantly through the day and then wakes up to feed. Maybe I'll re-assess this when he is 2 months
You're welcome.

I think it's good to know the different methods while you have a chance and before you want to initiate it; it's a very slow and constant, progressive process as you learn about your chosen method, learn about your child and as you try teaching an infant. I'd personally start doing a routine, as well as cluster feeding, swaddling and perhaps dreamfeeding in the first month for my next child. Definitely lesson learned.

Top