Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2019 12:57 am
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1670 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
comicbookguy wrote:
Jan 25th, 2019 5:07 pm
Would anyone recommend AGAINST buying hard drives or NAS from Amazon? I'm worried their couriers will just throw the delivery box onto my porch like they have in the past, potentially damaging the items. I'm looking at the DS918+ and a couple of WD Reds.
i did exactly this and have had no problems for 2-3 months.
May 28, 2013
80 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
chowder wrote:
Jan 25th, 2019 5:47 pm
i did exactly this and have had no problems for 2-3 months.
Same + amazon is great for returns.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1670 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
comicbookguy wrote:
Jan 25th, 2019 5:07 pm
I'm looking at the DS918+ and a couple of WD Reds.
wouldn't mind finding a deal on a 10tb red. almost outta space
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4300 posts
1193 upvotes
Toronto
I've got two 6 TB Reds in the GTA, if anyone is interested.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4300 posts
1193 upvotes
Toronto
chowder wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 3:17 pm
i still haven't set a static ip, not sure how to do that, but it's usually the same one. if it ever changes, i just log in to my router and check what devices are connected and it's easy to find.
Just reserve the IP through your router settings.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1670 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
chowder wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 11:56 am
wouldn't mind finding a deal on a 10tb red. almost outta space
not the best price ever, but 10tb reds are 374.99 on amazon and memoryexpress right now.
Mar 13, 2012
689 posts
326 upvotes
Near You
rebel_rfd wrote: Anyone running jdownloader2 on Docker?

Wondering which repos you used?
Can you not build this yourself? Both jd2 and Docker are open source, after all, and docker is pretty easy to use.
💳✈️🌍 American Express Platinum+Gold+Cobalt (Free First-Class Travel)| Amex Bonvoy Hotel Stays + Airline points
💰 Tangerine (Free Daily Banking) | HSBC Premier | EQ Bank
📞 Fido 10GB/65$ 📱 🖥️ Novus 1GIG/60$
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4300 posts
1193 upvotes
Toronto
mistytalon wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 3:49 am
Can you not build this yourself? Both jd2 and Docker are open source, after all, and docker is pretty easy to use.
I had an issue with the User ID and Group ID setup.

Fixed that issue and now it's working
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3362 posts
804 upvotes
I heard that hard drives are supposed to be kept at 25-50 degree temperatures but with the recent cold spell my basement had been in the negatives to 10c. Should I move it somewhere warmer? I just checked the temperature readings and it's 14c now and it's really warm outside.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4300 posts
1193 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 1:09 pm
I heard that hard drives are supposed to be kept at 25-50 degree temperatures but with the recent cold spell my basement had been in the negatives to 10c. Should I move it somewhere warmer? I just checked the temperature readings and it's 14c now and it's really warm outside.
The colder, the better, but not freezing for anything electronic.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1670 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
Is this the outside temperature or the running temperature.

I keep my house at 20, but I imagine the nas box with 4 drives running is at a higher heat than 20.
Oct 15, 2016
190 posts
225 upvotes
it's the temperature reported by the drive via SMART attributes.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1366 posts
110 upvotes
Hey All

Looking for some advice here, We currently have an Acer H340 Homeserver, with 4 1TB drives in it. Well one of the drives is failing, so it got me thinking about our home storage solution.

What we need

Place to Back up pictures with redundancy
Movies ( we currently have 500 or so AVI movies) the Acer talks to the Xbox 360, but not to the Xbox one, so something I can play these back on our Xbox ones
Music storage, don't really use it to stream, would think about it, but not a deal breaker either way.
PC Back up, I'd like to Ghost or Image my wifes laptop after installing all of her crafting software, so in case we get virus or something I can reimage from the server/Nas.

So after reading through a lot of threads I'm thinking we require a 4 bay NAS, now do we build one? I can get an old Hp6000 with 16gig ram, and i3 or i5 from work for nothing. Then i would need something like FreeNas? My only concern is power consumption and interface. I really just want something simple and works lol. I don't want to spend hours tinkering every week. Or we I can go with a 4 bay NAS. Ideally we don't want to spend a ton. Another thought was can I back my photo's up to the cloud, ideally by through it on an External drive on my network that daily/weekly looks for changes and moves those up the cloud. So any thoughts or ideas?

On a side note, we live in the country and have TELUS LTE hub with 250gig monthly limit, so Cloud options might be limited, again we really only care most about the photos.

Again thanks in advance, as i'm not sure what the best way to go is at this time.

Cheers

Winky
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1837 posts
386 upvotes
I was in the same boat (H340) and actually liked window's drivepool solution. I ended up getting a windows server 2012 essentials installed on HP tower server and using Stablebit Drivepool (WHS's spiritual successor) to string together a bunch of drives. Duplication is handled at the folder level so I can specifically make my personal photos redundant while leaving my movies and tv shows alone and not waste space. of course, that will change as the ratio of your important stuff gets bigger than 1/4 of your available space. at that point, RAID with a parity drive is a more efficient solution.

If windows server is not an option, unraid is probbaly the next best solution. I never understood how it offered flexible expansion while having a raid volume (edit: they don't. Volume size is strictly tied to drive capacity, meaning all disks must be the same size for optimal usage). It's been a while since I played with it. looks like there's no free option anymore either...

I think cheapest free option is freenas + DIY. But then you run into the issue of to ECC or not, how many bays you have, making things howswappable, etc etc... is freenas still as complicated to maintain? dunno...

Oh, btw, you can install freenas or windows server or unraid onto your H340. there's been a few projects that go over how that's done. The atom processor is dog slow, but it'll work. I only upgraded to an HP xeon server because I wanted to transcode with plex.