Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2019 3:24 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4602 posts
1745 upvotes
Markham
Good deal on 10TB red's popped up on Newegg ebay

For those who don't want to shuck, this matches Memory Express BF pricing with free shipping
WD Red 10TB $349.99

www.ebay.ca/itm/201933570076
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3063 posts
506 upvotes
Water loo
mrwinky wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 3:04 pm
Hey All

Looking for some advice here, We currently have an Acer H340 Homeserver, with 4 1TB drives in it. Well one of the drives is failing, so it got me thinking about our home storage solution.

What we need

Place to Back up pictures with redundancy
Movies ( we currently have 500 or so AVI movies) the Acer talks to the Xbox 360, but not to the Xbox one, so something I can play these back on our Xbox ones
Music storage, don't really use it to stream, would think about it, but not a deal breaker either way.
PC Back up, I'd like to Ghost or Image my wifes laptop after installing all of her crafting software, so in case we get virus or something I can reimage from the server/Nas.
I have a Acer H340, I converted it to a Unraid server. The Atom CPU is good enough for a NAS and has just enough memory to function with unraid - but with none of the docker/VM addons.
1 drive is parity, the other 3 are data drives.
Sep 26, 2007
484 posts
37 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I am in the same boat too.. I am using the Acer H340 unraided and it's been working well for me. (7x24) Have couple of USB drives attached to the H340 for extra capacity but I have a feeling that one of the drive is failing.
Debating whether to purchase an internal 10TB drive that's current on sale and installed it in my old tower or get a NAS from Synology or Qnaps.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1389 posts
119 upvotes
jmichou wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 9:08 pm
I am in the same boat too.. I am using the Acer H340 unraided and it's been working well for me. (7x24) Have couple of USB drives attached to the H340 for extra capacity but I have a feeling that one of the drive is failing.
Debating whether to purchase an internal 10TB drive that's current on sale and installed it in my old tower or get a NAS from Synology or Qnaps.
I think I'm leaning towards a Synology 218j, with 2 2tb drives in it, sign up for Amazon prime. I'll take my acer 340 to my mother in laws, and upload all the photos (60gig or so) to Amazon cloud storage, and setup the Synology to auto upload changes to the cloud ( at least I think I can from what i'm reading). I was looking at the Ironwolf 2tb drives for $90 at memory express. I don't see the need for the 218+ as I don't download torrents or stream blurays. Only Avi's on my network.

Unless someone has some other ideas

Winky
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4324 posts
1387 upvotes
I can't believe the 918s is 750 now. You would think prices go down and not up.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1741 posts
77 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 1:50 pm
Docker Setup

Use that link.

The key is to make sure you map folders out to contain your log files for each container. That way when you update to remove and reinstall you don't lose your settings.

So, I map my config folder directory for each container to configs.

So, apps is my directory where NZBGet installed.

I have a separate folder in apps, called config where I install all the log files for each container.

Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr get pointed to the directories used by NZBGet so they can fetch their files.
I'm following your advice on setting up my new DS918+. Thanks for this.

What do you have stored under your docker folder? The guide you linked to for NZBGet has the app installed under docker, but it seems you have it stored under apps.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4704 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
comicbookguy wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:43 am
I'm following your advice on setting up my new DS918+. Thanks for this.

What do you have stored under your docker folder? The guide you linked to for NZBGet has the app installed under docker, but it seems you have it stored under apps.
DSM will create a Docker folder when you install it. I just keep it empty/deleted it.

I install my docker apps under the app folders and have a config folder in there that I map all the config files for each application. That way I don't have to worry about deleting and reconfiguring an app.
Jun 13, 2008
771 posts
95 upvotes
Looking for a storage/media solution. Planning to use plex for the media server. My needs are one 4k stream and 1-2 additional regular hd stream.
Can a regular NAS with very low cpu hooked up to a Mac mini lated 2012 i7 do the job or would it be better if I had something like a DS918+?
If yes, any idea on what I should buy for the storage?
Oct 15, 2016
196 posts
230 upvotes
bigcortex wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 9:54 am
Looking for a storage/media solution. Planning to use plex for the media server. My needs are one 4k stream and 1-2 additional regular hd stream.
Can a regular NAS with very low cpu hooked up to a Mac mini lated 2012 i7 do the job or would it be better if I had something like a DS918+?
If yes, any idea on what I should buy for the storage?
If you only have one computer using it, why bother with NAS at all? A USB3 enclosure is far cheaper and much simpler. Even USB2 is fast enough for a few streams: 40-100 Mbps per stream for 4K, 10-25 Mbps for HD, while USB2 does 480Mbps.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
4253 posts
960 upvotes
Kitchener
My Qnap TS-451 just suddenly died over night. Woke up to the fan on full and unresponsive. Won't POST even with everything unplugged.

Now my problem is... I haven't been very happy with Qnap. The software is just not on par with Synology. However, if I want to grab the files out of my drives (I don't know what kind of file system QTS used), do I have any choice except to buy another Qnap?
This space is intentionally left blank.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4324 posts
1387 upvotes
My Nas is being accessed nonstop but all the computers are offline. Does anyone know why?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4704 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 4:49 am
My Nas is being accessed nonstop but all the computers are offline. Does anyone know why?
How do you know it's being accessed?

Because the drive lights are blinking?