Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2019 11:42 am
Nov 1, 2004
766 posts
26 upvotes
I'm a newbie on NAS set up. Just a quick question on 4-bay RAID device (aka QNAP TS-421).

If I buy this device and set up at RAID 5. Can I use only 2 * 4TB harddrives at the beginning and then add additional hard-drives slowly as my budget allow? Does QNAP automatically expand the storage space when I add additional harddrive?
Jun 18, 2008
336 posts
102 upvotes
Calgary
RAID 5 with only two drives is nonsensical. You need 3 at minimum. Yes, QNAP does support expansion by additional drive.
Aug 30, 2006
409 posts
171 upvotes
AnubisReturns wrote:
Dec 25th, 2013 1:20 pm
Ya it's not on their site and flyer say retail only, I'll swing by TD on boxing day to see if it's there.
Price confirmed $120, picked up one across from sherway gardens location, they were hidden in the back room. There should by one left at the time of this posting.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4059 posts
157 upvotes
Etobicoke
Nealester wrote:
Dec 16th, 2013 7:32 pm
I just dived into the NAS world. Picked up
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sk
u=24840NW9348&vpn=N2310&manufacture=THECUS%20TECH

Does anyone have any experience with this NAS?
Since there were no even decent 2-bay NAS deals ($120 Q-Nap in-store only at TD and $70 Shuttle at NCIX), I bought this Thecus and 2TB WD Red from DC too.
Jun 20, 2005
200 posts
15 upvotes
London
So I ended up buying the thecus n2310. The setup took around around 30 minutes. Set up a 3tb debate. Its a bit of pain to set up the folders through the provided app.

Samba ended up being awful. Dealt with really slow speeds and constant connection drops. It was unusable. I'm in the process of returning it now.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4059 posts
157 upvotes
Etobicoke
Nealester wrote:
Dec 26th, 2013 10:38 pm
So I ended up buying the thecus n2310. The setup took around around 30 minutes. Set up a 3tb debate. Its a bit of pain to set up the folders through the provided app.

Samba ended up being awful. Dealt with really slow speeds and constant connection drops. It was unusable. I'm in the process of returning it now.
Wow, this blows. Well, I'll check it out when my will arrive. What is DC's return policy?
Jun 20, 2005
200 posts
15 upvotes
London
ViperZ wrote:
Dec 27th, 2013 11:10 am
Wow, this blows. Well, I'll check it out when my will arrive. What is DC's return policy?
The return policy is awful. We pay for shipping and there is a 15% restocking fee.
Aug 30, 2006
409 posts
171 upvotes
Finally got the QNAP TS-220 setup and began copying all my files to it setup in JBOD and using an external drive for backup for now. Write speeds are around 25-40+mb/s depending on file size onto a 5900rpm drive, seems ok. Overall very satisfied for the $120 I paid. Will have to get 4tb wd reds when their prices drop a bit.

Shares and permissions was quite easy to setup except for WDTV Live Hub. Eventually had to use NFS Linux shares on WDTV to get it to read all the folders properly.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1869 posts
315 upvotes
Ottawa
JBOD= back up important files... I would stay away from 4TB reds due to potential LCC problem (I have some). I posted a good deal on 3Tb Reds for about $85 if you look.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Sep 14, 2005
49 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
Hello all. I currently have a dlink dns323 and use the nas for file share, media server and back ups. I want more performance. I don't do anything fancy but want a 2 drive bay device to keep backups and active files separate. Which would you recommend between the synology ds213j or ds214? Is it worth the additional cost for the ds214? Is there another recommended nas in this price range? And deals out there?
Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1869 posts
315 upvotes
Ottawa
The "j" usually means entry level so you are not comparing the same. I had a 212J and now a 213+ and both are good for home use. I suggest you look up their model numbering system to compare.
crs1 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2013 1:53 pm
Hello all. I currently have a dlink dns323 and use the nas for file share, media server and back ups. I want more performance. I don't do anything fancy but want a 2 drive bay device to keep backups and active files separate. Which would you recommend between the synology ds213j or ds214? Is it worth the additional cost for the ds214? Is there another recommended nas in this price range? And deals out there?
Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe I'll swing by TigerDirect to see if they still have any TS-220 for sale. Then grab 2x3TB Reds? Sigh it'll End up being close to $500 all said and done...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8306 posts
547 upvotes
Toronto
214+ for me soon i think....debating a syn 4 bay but probably out of budget for me....then again only another $125-150ish
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
What does everyone think about the WD MyBook Live. I know it's not as powerful or flexible as a Qnap/Synology, but my needs aren't that demanding at the moment. Just need it to:

-Windows Backup & Restore (or freeware alternative)/ OSX TimeMachine
-file sharing over local network
-remote bittorrent
and maybe, mirror to another MyBook Live at a remote location?

If I have media files (music, video, etc) on the MyBook Live, would I be able to just open and play them on whatever machine is on the network? Or will I have to move them to the machine first?

The 2TB one is currently $99 over at NCIX, it's not a bad deal (I think it's been down to $79 before, but $99 still isn't a bad price).

I understand it's slow, but I don't imagine to be moving a large amount of data often.