None
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal

Which NAS? WD mycloud EX2 vs Synology ds215j

Which would you pick.

I know Synology's software is A1 (I currently have a ds411) but their tech support has been asinine. Never played around with WD NAS products so I don't know the functionality. Difference is about 20$ in favor of the Wd mycloud ex2, diskless.
12 replies
Nov 30, 2009
305 posts
123 upvotes
Québec
I would get another synology. They work good together and you can even control the other one via your main nas web interface. I have 2 local and 1 offsite and its very easy to keep track of them. You can easely program synology backup between them. Notifications about updates or failures come all in one. No worries about compatibility. As you said Synology software is top notch and it get security upsates very often. For that price difference i wouldn't hesitate a bit.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Here's a nice option. QNAP seems top notch also

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX54789

As for the current synology unit, it's not operational. It has 5 days left in warranty, and I think tech support is trying run out the clock by making me me do stupid things over and over.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
mr_raider wrote: Here's a nice option. QNAP seems top notch also

As for the current synology unit, it's not operational. It has 5 days left in warranty, and I think tech support is trying run out the clock by making me me do stupid things over and over.
What's wrong with your unit?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18998 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Here's a nice option. QNAP seems top notch also

Nah they can't do that. As long as you reported the problem before the warranty was over you should be still good to have it repaired if it was the same problem you reported.
May 24, 2011
261 posts
34 upvotes
MONTR
+1 for Synology.
Not the same unit you have but I also debated between those two brands about 18 months ago. Very happy with my Synology.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
TripleHelix wrote: What's wrong with your unit?
All the drives are unaccessible. I tried to put in a fresh drive and re-install DSM from scratch, but the unit locks up any time I try to do a disk operation.

Fortunately I have a backup from August.
Nov 30, 2009
305 posts
123 upvotes
Québec
Unit shoudn't lock without errors in the log. Have u tried a factory reset using the synology assistant?

Also are you using an old drive? I heared problem with 5400rpm green drive in nas. The best are the red.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
slay3r85 wrote: Unit shoudn't lock without errors in the log. Have u tried a factory reset using the synology assistant?

Also are you using an old drive? I heared problem with 5400rpm green drive in nas. The best are the red.
I removed the old 4 drives, and put in a single clean unused drive. I cant install DSM. It locks up when trying to format the empty drive. I've tried two SSDs and two HDDs with no success. My guess is that controller is being flaky. Machine won't even boot up half the time.
Nov 30, 2009
305 posts
123 upvotes
Québec
Then the warranty should cover that without problem...
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
slay3r85 wrote: Then the warranty should cover that without problem...
Synology tech support has yet to authorize an RMA>

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)