Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
National Bank

Become a client and earn up to $400 cash back

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 1:03 pm
Jun 5, 2009
243 posts
559 upvotes
Vancouver
I want to thank everyone for the heads-up on this outfit. I hate my current bank but will be sure not to get caught up with this bunch...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 29, 2007
6073 posts
6034 upvotes
No Bum Deals
Eek!

How to newb post an ad and get pawned.
. 🡻 ԀՈ ⅄∀Ϻ SIHꓕ 🡻
Apr 14, 2006
415 posts
277 upvotes
mkannuri wrote: I would like to hear from other RFDers who participated in the last promotion...Are you guys cancelling the account or keeping it with 0$ account charge after 1 year is completed?
There are better places to park money.

This bank sucks...why would you even consider staying them after meeting your obligations for the promo.
Sep 17, 2016
352 posts
174 upvotes
A friend used to work there about 20 years ago. I remember her telling me how some employees would steal money from dormant accounts and other shenanigans. Fortunately she found a better job quickly ... Anyhow it sounds like they havent changed much ...
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
Hmm. My National Bank shares are up 50% since last year though, I guess they're doing something right, Huh.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2223 posts
628 upvotes
GTA
hmm was considering open a trading account for the free ETF. after reading all those comments I am glad I didn't and went with qtrade lol
Jun 27, 2011
336 posts
528 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
As a customer of this bank since 1997, i can tell you this is the best and only deal you’ll ever get from them. I’ve given them 1st opportunity for mortgage, car loan, car insurance, etc. Their quotes or interest rates have alway been way above the rest of the market which left me having only a normal bank account with them. Oh and they charge 1$ for every interact transfer to friends/familly which arent customers of BNC. I’ve been thinking about changing banks for years but i’ve just been lazy and stated there. So there you have it. Make sure that $400 is really worth it for you if you go there because besides that, there isn’t much good imo.
Sep 20, 2015
256 posts
309 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ChunkAhoy wrote: As a customer of this bank since 1997, i can tell you this is the best and only deal you’ll ever get from them. I’ve given them 1st opportunity for mortgage, car loan, car insurance, etc. Their quotes or interest rates have alway been way above the rest of the market which left me having only a normal bank account with them. Oh and they charge 1$ for every interact transfer to friends/familly which arent customers of BNC. I’ve been thinking about changing banks for years but i’ve just been lazy and stated there. So there you have it. Make sure that $400 is really worth it for you if you go there because besides that, there isn’t much good imo.
"I've been thinking about changing banks for years but i’ve just been lazy and stated there."
No offence please but folks like you are one of the reasons that this bank is still in business and doing its deeds.
Jun 27, 2011
336 posts
528 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
OttawaGuy2 wrote: "I've been thinking about changing banks for years but i’ve just been lazy and stated there."
No offence please but folks like you are one of the reasons that this bank is still in business and doing its deeds.
No offence taken. I’ll move soon. On my checklist.
Its a process to change bank.
Sep 20, 2015
256 posts
309 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ChunkAhoy wrote: No offence taken. I’ll move soon. On my checklist.
Its a process to change bank.
Changing the bank is lot easier than most people think it is. I keep the most bill auto to be paid by credit card or manual (property tax, water bill etc) to be paid through CTFS (Canadian Tire Financial Services) bill payment to earn free money. Anything else is just phone call away. This way you are almost ready to switch at moments notice. Thanks to RFD folks to teach us all these lessons.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1102 posts
795 upvotes
Calgary
managed to cancel my account from last year without a hassle today at king street west location in toronto.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
hjkimbrian wrote: managed to cancel my account from last year without a hassle today at king street west location in toronto.
Did they offer you a free bank draft/cheque, etc? Or they paid you in cash?
Oct 18, 2007
685 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto
I closed my account no problem after a 12 mos run and bonus from 2017. It was painless.

For experience wise I changed my statements to estatments in English and for 6 months i was receiving french emails also after re requesting more than once to change to English statements I still received french emails. As well their online banking was terrible even now to try to log in it asks to send verification codes instead of passwords.

I called MasterCard and was a bad experience I asked for my cash back balance and he kept giving me my credit available. Clarified multiple times but the associate was brain dead.

All said and done it was an extra 250 for me. I def wouldn't bank with them as my main bank.
Dec 5, 2008
173 posts
96 upvotes
Longueuil
Sorry, it's seems that's a repost. A better link would be here.

To get the max., you must:
- open and keep 6000$ in an account for 1 year (175$)
- add a direct deposit to it (175$)
- keep 5000$ in a new 1,05% saving account for 60 days (+50$)

Important: "Clients who have benefitted from a cashback offer on a Chequing or Savings account since November 1, 2017 are not eligible for this offer."

The full 3 options are:
- 175$ if you open and keep for 1 year, a $25.95/month account, waived with a minimum balance of $6,000
- or 125$ if you open and keep for 1 year, a 14,95 $/month account, waived with a minimum balance of $4,500
- or 50$ if you open and keep for 1 year, a $9.95/month account, waived with a minimum balance of $3,000

x2 the bonus if you make a "salary deposits or other recurring direct deposits to the account"

Add 50$, if you keep 5000$ in a new 1,05% saving account for 60 days.
Last edited by dd55 on Sep 15th, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 14, 2009
615 posts
984 upvotes
Halifax
Seems like a decent deal to me, would love to know what all the downvotes are about... Thanks OP!
Mar 3, 2015
622 posts
1097 upvotes
King City
dillybravo wrote: Seems like a decent deal to me, would love to know what all the downvotes are about... Thanks OP!
It is significantly better than most bank promotions. You can waive the monthly fee at NBC with a minimum balance unlike many other promotions at other banks.
Mar 2, 2016
862 posts
1248 upvotes
Toronto
This is a repost. I encourage you to read mine and others' negative experience with the previous NBC promotion in that post.
Koodo|Fido|Tangerine|EQ|AMEX|Plastiq|eBates|TopCashBack|Mr. Rebates|Great Canadian Rebates|RocketMiles
BRIM|AwardWallet|uber|Lyft|airBNB|uberEats|DoorDash|Skip the Dishes|Ritual
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1954 posts
1477 upvotes
TheSheldor wrote: It is significantly better than most bank promotions. You can waive the monthly fee at NBC with a minimum balance unlike many other promotions at other banks.

If you meant, "it is significantly worst than most bank promotions", then I'm with you
Sep 20, 2017
372 posts
184 upvotes
Markham
Heard their mortgage rate is not bad. Anybody use them?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)