Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
National Bank

Free Ipad mini with opening of self direct brokerage account

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2015 11:09 am
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
bkushner wrote: You can transfer any stock or mutual fund, you don't have to liquidate. What is the difference if it sits on the TD website or National Bank's? What is the hassle? The phone call took 5 minutes with National Bank. Paperwork on the way for signature and details of the bank with my current mutual funds to transfer.
If you're able to hold e-series at NB, do let us know.
Jun 11, 2013
164 posts
38 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
hahahahaha..... If i had 20000 sitting in my account i will go buy a brand new one :D
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2008
1069 posts
1353 upvotes
Toronto
If you decide to stay with NB, great... but when I transferred out, they charged me $135+HST per account. TSFA, Non-reg, RRSP - 3 accounts cost me almost $500. Not my idea of fun.
Dec 16, 2004
860 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
umairch wrote: hahahahaha..... If i had 20000 sitting in my account i will go buy a brand new one :D
This type of comment and many others in this thread are idiotic. You transfer investments that you ALREADY OWN and it basically costs you nothing. Keep the money invested in whatever you are already invested in and get a free iPad. I guess if you don't have 20k than this won't work for you but that doesn't mean it's not a good deal.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
9451 posts
11815 upvotes
Calgary
dishguy1977 wrote: This type of comment and many others in this thread are idiotic. You transfer investments that you ALREADY OWN and it basically costs you nothing. Keep the money invested in whatever you are already invested in and get a free iPad. I guess if you don't have 20k than this won't work for you but that doesn't mean it's not a good deal.
This deal doesn't translate to people without any savings accounts.
Dec 16, 2004
860 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
lokyee wrote: If you decide to stay with NB, great... but when I transferred out, they charged me $135+HST per account. TSFA, Non-reg, RRSP - 3 accounts cost me almost $500. Not my idea of fun.
But just like NB is willing to pay $135 when you transfer to them whatever other brokerage you ultimately decide to deal with will most likely pay the transfer fees as well if you transfer out of NB.
Dec 16, 2004
860 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
bkushner wrote: This deal doesn't translate to people without any savings accounts.
Very true...some of the comments here make it sound like you are PAYING 20k for an iPad.
Dec 16, 2004
860 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
bkushner wrote: You can transfer any stock or mutual fund, you don't have to liquidate. What is the difference if it sits on the TD website or National Bank's? What is the hassle? The phone call took 5 minutes with National Bank. Paperwork on the way for signature and details of the bank with my current mutual funds to transfer.
Exactly...
Feb 7, 2006
473 posts
220 upvotes
dishguy1977 wrote: Exactly...
I called customer service about transferring my RSP accounts in kind. This qualifies for this iPad mini promotion.

But the representative said it's only for the first 500 applicaitons
Jun 29, 2005
494 posts
65 upvotes
just opened NB discount brokerage in RH branch. process was done in 15min. the guy was nice to deal with. now i need to wait for the funds and do my trade. can't wait to see my Ipad. :D
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
9570 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
How much will TD charge if I transfer out TFSA from TDW? Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Dec 17, 2003
284 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Also, if you were to transfer > Dec 31st, and you have an iPad mini, you'd still have to pay a closing fee 2x135. So, cost of your time + value of investments during trf + hassle of closing fees (2 calls) + forms + appts + two banks orrr over an iPad mini (16gb/wifi only)

Its not a bad deal for those interested in a discount brokerage for the 2-5yr term, check annual fees for the type of account and you're good to goo!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3252 posts
2873 upvotes
Montreal
Okay sure, all of us has 20k liquidity sitting around, right?
virtuman1980 wrote: Haha...pretty interesting fellow indeed...but it was this persistence/stubbornness of his that got him the positive result in the end
datako wrote: ... Although, I'm a little surprised you went against what everyone advised ,op. You've got balls and absolutely crazy at the same time to do this.
Dec 17, 2003
284 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
bgallagher wrote: Okay sure, all of us has 20k liquidity sitting around, right?
Liquidity is subjective, how bad do you want that iPad mini is the question?! :P
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
9451 posts
11815 upvotes
Calgary
bgallagher wrote: Okay sure, all of us has 20k liquidity sitting around, right?
some of us have RRSP's and TFSA's that can be stored in any bank. If you don't, this deal is not for you.
Dec 16, 2004
860 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
bkushner wrote: some of us have RRSP's and TFSA's that can be stored in any bank. If you don't, this deal is not for you.
lol...don't bother...they really don't get it...
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2012
1770 posts
1140 upvotes
Markham
Man, so much hassle in saving a few hundred bucks.
If it is iPad Air, I would do it lol.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2012
1370 posts
142 upvotes
U
I would do this if I didn't owe 10k to national banks credit card lol. I'd hate to move 30k there and they steal 10k of it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)