Hot Deals

[National Bank] National Bank of Canada - Get up to $350 bonus cash (NO PAYROLL CHANGE REQUIRED!!!)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2017 10:27 am
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1707 posts
501 upvotes
Winnipeg
Shield204 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 9:43 pm
  1. Went in the Winnipeg branch today and was told that they will not give me a client/debit card nor will I have access to online banking until I have my payroll set up with them... WTF. I didn't argue... will just get my payroll set up there... but I have never heard of any financial institution with such a policy. For now if I want to do anything I have to do it in branch...pretty inconvenient since my work overlaps with their business hours. Can't even do online stuff!
  2. Whole sign up process took over an hour and was not very smooth at all. There was lots of off topic nosy questions that I was not engaging with yet the rep kept pushing... I've signed up at many different financial institutions and this was by far the most uncomfortable and drawn out process yet for me.
I wonder if the representative signed you up for this - https://nationalbank.com/content/public ... venue.html

rather than this promo.....

Also read page 2 of this booklet (sounds like this is why they didn't give you a debit card) https://www.nbc.ca/content/dam/bnc/en/f ... -18014.pdf
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2012
4635 posts
323 upvotes
Gloucester, Canada
do we have to sign up for the credit card at the branch or can you apply online?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7334 posts
1208 upvotes
So anyone confirmed any credit card that is eligible for the 100$ with no annual fee?
Apr 7, 2013
183 posts
52 upvotes
Deux-Montagnes, QC
andrew4321 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 8:50 pm
Which MasterCard?
Darkman wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 10:02 pm
^^ cash back ...no annual fee
Messerschmitt wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 12:12 am
So anyone confirmed any credit card that is eligible for the 100$ with no annual fee?
Any CC work, unless you get professional account
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1125 posts
177 upvotes
those who already have an account with national bank, do you know if it's possible to transfer funds between national bank clients without interac?
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
3156 posts
589 upvotes
Called their MasterCard department today .... after giving my personal information to the Rep, I was told that my MasterCard is approved today .. and I will get the card in about 5 - 7 days or so.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
3156 posts
589 upvotes
Shield204 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 9:43 pm
  1. Went in the Winnipeg branch today and was told that they will not give me a client/debit card nor will I have access to online banking until I have my payroll set up with them... WTF. I didn't argue... will just get my payroll set up there... but I have never heard of any financial institution with such a policy. For now if I want to do anything I have to do it in branch...pretty inconvenient since my work overlaps with their business hours. Can't even do online stuff!
  2. Whole sign up process took over an hour and was not very smooth at all. There was lots of off topic nosy questions that I was not engaging with yet the rep kept pushing... I've signed up at many different financial institutions and this was by far the most uncomfortable and drawn out process yet for me.
I was there (day or two before you by the looks of it).

It wasn't that bad ... Never was pushed about payroll ... etc ... Even though i got no payroll, cuz I am kinda retired.

Yes, I was there more than an hour maybe ... but so what .. no biggie to me, lol :)

We talked about this and that ... about GIC that they had ... he tried to convince me that i should get it .. and i kept on saying "i'll think about it"

Mostly Chinese employees work there .. and i recently got married to Chinese woman ... so we talked about this too for a bit.

He was actually kinda nice to me ... The transaction (to qualify) had to be debit one ... and i only had 10 bucks on me ... and wanted to be done with it right there and then, lol

But their ATM doesn't deal with 5s or 10s when it comes to withdrawals ... only 20s ...

So i had an idea suddenly .. asked the guy if he or the bank can lend me 10 dollars .. and I will deposit 20 (after making my initial deposit at the teller for $2500.05) .. and then withdraw 20 (he told me, no problem ... no hold on that 20, plus i had enough to cover it anyhow from my initial deposit) ... 20 withdrawal at the ATM is a qualifying transaction.

So after thinking for few seconds -- he did it ... :)

Got from the bank 10 dollars .. and we put it in the envelope with my 10 and made a deposit at the ATM ...

Then I withdrew $20 ... we broke it .. and i gave him his 10 back .. keeping my 10 :)

P.S.

I am an easy going guy however .. so my painless experience might seem painful for some people out there, i don't know, lol :D
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
1311 posts
119 upvotes
frozenmelon wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 10:45 am
The optional deal is sign up for credit card (=hard credit check) and get $100. Similar deals right now are $200 for BMO WE MC and $300 for Scotia AMEX Gold. $100 too low for me.
but do bmo, scotia credit cards have annual fees?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
1311 posts
119 upvotes
frozenmelon wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 3:15 pm
Edit: one important note! This is the only bank that has asked me to provide a bill with my address on it. Make sure you bring one. It's required to sign up!

that's a bit annoying. i do all my bills online nowadays, as most people will do, i guess. a print-out of a credit card estatement will do?
May 22, 2015
41 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Asked whether healthcare professional package can be used for this promotion. You can, but you need to apply for one of their MC that costs $99/$150 per year. This allows you to not have any minimum balance on chequing account or monthly fee, but you are still responsible for paying annual fee for MC. I think this is great offer for students eligible for professional account since you don't have to pay annual fee for those MC for 2 years, but can still get the professional package to be eligible for promotion.
Dec 21, 2006
190 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Does deposit $20 on ABM with debit card qualify as one transaction?
[OP]
Sep 4, 2007
944 posts
317 upvotes
Edmonton
forgetpwd wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 5:54 pm
but do bmo, scotia credit cards have annual fees?
Yes, but first year is free.
forgetpwd wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 5:59 pm
that's a bit annoying. i do all my bills online nowadays, as most people will do, i guess. a print-out of a credit card estatement will do?
Yep.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4302 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
Darkman wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 3:29 pm
I was there (day or two before you by the looks of it).

It wasn't that bad ... Never was pushed about payroll ... etc ... Even though i got no payroll, cuz I am kinda retired.

Yes, I was there more than an hour maybe ... but so what .. no biggie to me, lol :)

We talked about this and that ... about GIC that they had ... he tried to convince me that i should get it .. and i kept on saying "i'll think about it"

Mostly Chinese employees work there .. and i recently got married to Chinese woman ... so we talked about this too for a bit.

He was actually kinda nice to me ... The transaction (to qualify) had to be debit one ... and i only had 10 bucks on me ... and wanted to be done with it right there and then, lol

But their ATM doesn't deal with 5s or 10s when it comes to withdrawals ... only 20s ...

So i had an idea suddenly .. asked the guy if he or the bank can lend me 10 dollars .. and I will deposit 20 (after making my initial deposit at the teller for $2500.05) .. and then withdraw 20 (he told me, no problem ... no hold on that 20, plus i had enough to cover it anyhow from my initial deposit) ... 20 withdrawal at the ATM is a qualifying transaction.

So after thinking for few seconds -- he did it ... :)

Got from the bank 10 dollars .. and we put it in the envelope with my 10 and made a deposit at the ATM ...

Then I withdrew $20 ... we broke it .. and i gave him his 10 back .. keeping my 10 :)

P.S.

I am an easy going guy however .. so my painless experience might seem painful for some people out there, i don't know, lol :D
Darkman strike again!! hehehe.....
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
1311 posts
119 upvotes
sundawner wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 11:36 pm

I already made a $5 bill payment for my credit card through the NBC app, but there is $1.25 service fee if processed through "Digital Banking Solutions" and a fee for using a client card???

Bill payments are free if made through "Automated Banking", guess that means PAD.

Nonetheless, if the $1.25 fee appears, I will ask them to waive it. Pretty good place to park $2500 for the year and make $350.
what is "digital banking solutions"?
Sep 23, 2011
45 posts
3 upvotes
Anyone went to the Richmond branch yet? I am driving quite a distance to get there, not sure it's worth the effort if I get dicked around (like those posted from the Ontario branches)

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

boblahblaw, Scooby10