Hot Deals

[National Bank] National Bank of Canada - Get up to $350 bonus cash (NO PAYROLL CHANGE REQUIRED!!!)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2017 10:27 am
Oct 25, 2005
161 posts
Toronto
Confirmed, you can open with any card as long as its your first card with them. People who already have cards with them have to upgrade to one of the cards with high annual fees to qualify. Suggest you go with the Echo card, 1% cashback on everything, 1.5% on gas, groceries and all online purchases. Not bad for a no fee card.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
3156 posts
589 upvotes
maple168 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 6:38 pm
Does deposit $20 on ABM with debit card qualify as one transaction?
I thought it does ... but the Financial advisor who I had appointment with told me that it doesn't ... told me that by transaction they meant a debit transaction ...

So at the teller it's not free to make a debit transaction with this account ...

So the easiest way to do it (regardless if it has to be debit transaction or credit / deposit is okay also ... simply not to take any chances) --- Deposit $20 cash (at the teller or at the ATM... and then withdraw $20 at the ATM .. ( that's what i did anyhow, and advisor said it's good, it's a qualifying one :) )
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4302 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
Darkman wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 9:41 pm
I thought it does ... but the Financial advisor who I had appointment with told me that it doesn't ... told me that by transaction they meant a debit transaction ...

So at the teller it's not free to make a debit transaction with this account ...

So the easiest way to do it (regardless if it has to be debit transaction or credit / deposit is okay also ... simply not to take any chances) --- Deposit $20 cash (at the teller or at the ATM... and then withdraw $20 at the ATM .. ( that's what i did anyhow, and advisor said it's good, it's a qualifying one :) )
Is transferring $ from the chequing account to the saving account also count as a transaction? since it a debit transaction, am I right?
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
3156 posts
589 upvotes
^ ^ ... I don't know ... (but would be quite logical to assume that transfer like this won't count).

And unless you know with 100% certainty ---- Why risk it? :)

Just put $20 cash into ATM .. and then take it out :D
Oct 27, 2012
244 posts
47 upvotes
GTA
I went to the King/York branch today to inquire about safety deposit boxes - since mine is in the 'burbs and they offer a 50% discount to people with the professional package.

Again, the teller took almost 15 minutes to tell me how much it cost, when I was able to Google the answer online within 30 seconds. And she didn't even manage to answer my initial question about whether they had availability or not. :facepalm:

In the end, another teller was able to tell me within 30 seconds that they did indeed have boxes available. Torn on whether I should get one - knowing that it is near impossible to get one from other banks.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7334 posts
1208 upvotes
Why don't you people just pay a bill online rather than play with transferring/withdrawing

Also, I had a great experience at Victoria branch. If you want I can PM you the name of the advisor that helped me
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1319 posts
180 upvotes
Mississauga
Hey folks, all I need to bring for the appointment is 2 ID's and one bill, right? Would DL, credit card, and property tax bill be sufficient?

At the branch, do they give you the client card & PIN right away?
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
3156 posts
589 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:28 am
Why don't you people just pay a bill online rather than play with transferring/withdrawing

Also, I had a great experience at Victoria branch. If you want I can PM you the name of the advisor that helped me
How hard is it after your bank appointment ... when you deposited $2500 to avoid the fees ... and have your card in your hand ... to go to their ATM at the bank and put in 20 bucks, and then take out 20 bucks ... :D
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
3156 posts
589 upvotes
kulb wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 9:43 am
Hey folks, all I need to bring for the appointment is 2 ID's and one bill, right? Would DL, credit card, and property tax bill be sufficient?

At the branch, do they give you the client card & PIN right away?
Yes
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7334 posts
1208 upvotes
Darkman wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 9:46 am
How hard is it after your bank appointment ... when you deposited $2500 to avoid the fees ... and have your card in your hand ... to go to their ATM at the bank and put in 20 bucks, and then take out 20 bucks ... :D
Well I forgot the bring my cheques so I just e-transfer instead.

Also why would I risk it when I can just add my credit card as a payee and pay 20$~ something towards it. It has a balance of hundreds anyway. And I'm not risking it with technicalities.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1707 posts
501 upvotes
Winnipeg
forgetpwd wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 6:52 pm
what is "digital banking solutions"?
That's there term for telephone and online banking (aka not the ABM)
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1707 posts
501 upvotes
Winnipeg
Shield204 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2017 8:50 am
I really hope you have a better experience! We only have one branch option in Winnipeg... seems like there ARE some good locations across Canada lol.

Please let me know how your experience goes!
Other than the branch having no working ATM today because they are getting a new ATM installed.... my experience was great.

She opened my accounts, manually applied for the Mastercard, and got me a debit card and gave me ok limits on it too. Overall took about 40 minutes.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Apr 2, 2011
116 posts
54 upvotes
Montr
Check your statements at the beginning of the the month. I got charged a fixed charge of 3.46 for nothing.
I opened my account on the 22nd and initiated an etransfer of 2510 from tangerine which took a day.
Then I made a payment to my credit through online banking for 1$.
I went to the main branch in Montreal and the csr there was clueless to what happened. He went to a colleague who seemed to be the receptionist and she kept on saying that my statement runs from the 3rd to the 3rd of each month. Whatever that means. They will contact a manager to figure this out. They weren't even able to reverse that charge. Now I need to wait until Monday to see what's up.
National Bank is officially the worst bank I dealt with.
Apr 2, 2011
116 posts
54 upvotes
Montr
Check your statements at the beginning of the the month. I got charged a fixed charge of 3.46 for nothing.
I opened my account on the 22nd and initiated an etransfer of 2510 from tangerine which took a day.
I went to the main branch in Montreal and the csr there was clueless to what happened. He went to a colleague who seemed to be the receptionist and she kept on saying that my statement runs from the 3rd to the 3rd of each month. Whatever that means. They will contact a manager to figure this out. They weren't even able to reverse that charge. Now I need to wait until Monday to see what's up.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
3156 posts
589 upvotes
Guyman wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 4:53 pm

^ ^

2017-09-08 MISCELLANEOUS ACC. TANGERINE $ 0.06 $ 2,500.46
2017-09-08 MISCELLANEOUS ACC. TANGERINE $ 0.16 $ 2,500.40
2017-09-01 TRANSACTION FEES $ 0.00 $ 2,500.24
2017-09-01 MISCELLANEOUS ACC. EQ BANK $ 0.03 $ 2,500.24
2017-09-01 MISCELLANEOUS ACC. EQ BANK $ 0.16 $ 2,500.21
2017-08-29 G/WITHDRAW $ 20.00 $ 2,500.05
2017-08-29 G/DEPOSIT $ 20.00 $ 2,520.05
2017-08-29 DEPOSIT $ 2,500.05 $ 2,500.05

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

boblahblaw, Scooby10