Expired Hot Deals

[National Bank] National Bank of Canada - Get up to $350 bonus cash (NO PAYROLL CHANGE REQUIRED!!!)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 8:45 pm
Feb 8, 2015
131 posts
18 upvotes
Manotick, ON
I tried to do online enrollment and I get this after filling everything out:

Your transaction cannot be completed at this time, please try later.

What does this mean? Also, their website is garbage. I'm taking the bonus and never going back to this bank...
Oct 25, 2007
555 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
I was thinking for a while and finally pulled the trigger yesterday after seeing the promotion. NBC branch is two blocks from my home in a quite strip plaza. Always empty, plenty of parking and every time i stop there for grocery, i used to think to bank here.
Well, as mentioned in the posts, its a quite laid back process for a simple account opening process, but i am in no rush after the work and quietly gone thru the entire process.
they created the profile first, then manually entered the account details on a paper and took me to teller to get the bank card and made me to change the PIN.
Then i gave my current bank cheque of $2600 deposit and have them setup my online account and enrol to estatement, which is the requirement to get the $250 bonus amount.
They told my deposit is treated as one transaction and enrolling to e-statement will fulfill the bonus amount eligibility and should see the amount will be credited between 60-90 days.
Well, lets see...if they offer me some good interest on savings account, might as well start banking with them.
btw..did not applied for credit card as dont feel its worth extra $100 as i am planning to apply multiple cards to accumulate aero plan miles for my upcoming trip.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7520 posts
1300 upvotes
Lucky for me I guess where the advisor told me to phone her directly if a charge for the first month sneaks in since my etransfer also took a day to get deposited.

I do have to admit I like this promo for it's simplicity. Pay 1 bill online and that's it. No other little steps that makes it more difficult, minimums, etc.

Question: Does National Bank give any free e-transfers? Or is the only way to take money out is via ATM for free?
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
3351 posts
667 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 3:04 pm
Lucky for me I guess where the advisor told me to phone her directly if a charge for the first month sneaks in since my etransfer also took a day to get deposited.

I do have to admit I like this promo for it's simplicity. Pay 1 bill online and that's it. No other little steps that makes it more difficult, minimums, etc.

Question: Does National Bank give any free e-transfers? Or is the only way to take money out is via ATM for free?
You don't even have to pay the bill online specifically ... One / any debit transaction will do as well ...

As far as bills are concerned ... - all my bills are making me either 2% or 1.75% cash back ... So why should I lose that cash back by paying a bill at National Bank? :)
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1521 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver
Got it done yesterday.

It was rather painless considering how much bad things I heard about them. Didn't need the bill either.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7520 posts
1300 upvotes
Darkman wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 3:20 pm
You don't even have to pay the bill online specifically ... One / any debit transaction will do as well ...

As far as bills are concerned ... - all my bills are making me either 2% or 1.75% cash back ... So why should I lose that cash back by paying a bill at National Bank? :)
You have to pay your credit card(s) that get you the cash back. That's what I'm using. Paid like 25$ with NB, then the rest with my main account

So, anyone knows if they offer free e-transfers like others?
Apr 23, 2017
37 posts
52 upvotes
Guyman wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 4:53 pm
Check your statements at the beginning of the the month. I got charged a fixed charge of 3.46 for nothing.
I opened my account on the 22nd and initiated an etransfer of 2510 from tangerine which took a day.
Then I made a payment to my credit through online banking for 1$.
I went to the main branch in Montreal and the csr there was clueless to what happened. He went to a colleague who seemed to be the receptionist and she kept on saying that my statement runs from the 3rd to the 3rd of each month. Whatever that means. They will contact a manager to figure this out. They weren't even able to reverse that charge. Now I need to wait until Monday to see what's up.
National Bank is officially the worst bank I dealt with.
Your statement runs from 3rd to 3rd every month since your Date of Birth (DOB) is on the 3rd of the month - your billing cycle date is based on your DOB..the charge you're seeing is the pro-rated bank charge as the account did not have the minimum $2,500 from the 3rd (you definitely opened the account after the 3rd of the month)..hope that clarifies the bank charge
Apr 2, 2011
124 posts
76 upvotes
Montr
yugsekwaf wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 5:52 pm
Your statement runs from 3rd to 3rd every month since your Date of Birth (DOB) is on the 3rd of the month - your billing cycle date is based on your DOB..the charge you're seeing is the pro-rated bank charge as the account did not have the minimum $2,500 from the 3rd (you definitely opened the account after the 3rd of the month)..hope that clarifies the bank charge
My date of birth is not on the 3rd. Also my account always had <2500$ so the charges are unjustified. The account was opened on the 22nd and a deposit was in the account the day after.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
1381 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
Guyman wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 4:53 pm
Check your statements at the beginning of the the month. I got charged a fixed charge of 3.46 for nothing.
I opened my account on the 22nd and initiated an etransfer of 2510 from tangerine which took a day.
Then I made a payment to my credit through online banking for 1$.
I went to the main branch in Montreal and the csr there was clueless to what happened. He went to a colleague who seemed to be the receptionist and she kept on saying that my statement runs from the 3rd to the 3rd of each month. Whatever that means. They will contact a manager to figure this out. They weren't even able to reverse that charge. Now I need to wait until Monday to see what's up.
National Bank is officially the worst bank I dealt with.

i called nbc total of 6 times only got through to a person once. the more i have read about this bank, the more hesitating about the hassle for this deal. 3.46 sounds a pretty odd charge, I mean even the amount 3.46 is odd enough. at least they should have told you when you walk into the branch what that charge for. which plan you chose, 14.95/monthly or 8.95/monthly? wait for your update. i have scheduled an appointment this coming Sat. I might just cancel it.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1634 posts
23 upvotes
Mississauga
Shield204 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 9:43 pm
  1. Whole sign up process took over an hour and was not very smooth at all. There was lots of off topic nosy questions that I was not engaging with yet the rep kept pushing... I've signed up at many different financial institutions and this was by far the most uncomfortable and drawn out process yet for me.

You are not alone. I went to a branch in Mississauga and had the exact same experience when opening an account.

Also, I deposited a cheque of $2510 the next day and then found out they blocked/froze my whole account. I couldn't log in online to do an online payment. They said I just opened a new account and deposited a cheque of large amount (really? $2510, large?), and they need to verify the source of money by contacting the bank of my cheque. The $2510 was already out of my other bank a week ago and National Bank said the block is going to be there for up to 10 business days while they verify the money.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
1381 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
Darkman wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 3:20 pm

what card can get you 2% or 1.75% cashback?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
1381 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
ayeung wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 11:19 pm
You are not alone. I went to a branch in Mississauga and had the exact same experience when opening an account.

Also, I deposited a cheque of $2510 the next day and then found out they blocked/froze my whole account. I couldn't log in online to do an online payment. They said I just opened a new account and deposited a cheque of large amount (really? $2510, large?), and they need to verify the source of money by contacting the bank of my cheque. The $2510 was already out of my other bank a week ago and National Bank said the block is going to be there for up to 10 business days while they verify the money.
what if I bring the cash, say 3000, to open the account at the branch, will I be charged for this initial deposit for opening the account? this bank seems really crappy.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
3351 posts
667 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 5:34 pm
You have to pay your credit card(s) that get you the cash back. That's what I'm using. Paid like 25$ with NB, then the rest with my main account

So, anyone knows if they offer free e-transfers like others?
No.

What do you mean I have to pay my credit cards that get me cash back?

All my credit cards like that are free ... i don't pay for them ... (Tangerine MC and Rogers MC).
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
3351 posts
667 upvotes
Received my NBC Echo Cashback MasterCard in the mail today ... called in and activated it.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1402 posts
201 upvotes
Mississauga
Do you need to apply for credit card in the branch as well (for $100 credit card cashback) or can you apply online after opening the bank accounts?