Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
National Bank

National Bank of Canada - Get up to $350 bonus cash (NO PAYROLL CHANGE REQUIRED!!!)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 1:05 pm
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
tkddad wrote: We just opened a chequing and savings accounts. One thing of note is that is you are depositing $2500 to avoid transaction fees for the direct access account, it will go up to $3000 by Jan. 22, 18 if you want to avoid the fee.

We were given a fee change notice in the package.
So I called them on Sunday ... about this ... to fish for more details ...

This is part of new changes etc ... Details are very new still .. but Notices should be ready and go out around November 6 or so.

From what I was able to gather ... - YES .. by January 22, 2018, -- this type of account will require $3000 in it to avoid monthly fee.

Will be some account changes though however to account itself ... I think CSR informed me that Interac will be free in this account .. (or something like that) .. and current 22 free debit transactions will become 30 (or so free debit transactions).

The good thing about all of this COULD BE THOUGH (not sure 100% on this now) ... that January 22, 2018's $3000 requirement is for new accounts ... and WE (people with existing accounts) might need to be at $3000 (to avoid monthly fee) by March 14, 2018 mark or around there .. that's when our "old" similar accounts will officially become these "new" upcoming similar accounts ...

Clerk wasn't totally sure on all of this however .. so best to wait for official notices and details to become public ... and info should be indicated in there ...

I guess time will show.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7070 posts
3384 upvotes
8.5% isn't bad, but it is a somewhat noticeable amount of idle money you cannot move without a penalty for a year.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1954 posts
1477 upvotes
Is it true that you have to wait 48 business hours after opening your account in branch t be able to deposit an interac e-transfer into the national bank account?

Opened account in branch this past Friday late afternoon, tried to e-transfer the 2500$ from another bank to national bank account but kept getting errors when trying to accept the e-transfer into the national bank account. According to contact centre agent, have to wait 2 full business days to be able to accept e-transfer into the account. Does that sound right?
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
1735 posts
254 upvotes
Winnipeg
adilh53 wrote: Is it true that you have to wait 48 business hours after opening your account in branch t be able to deposit an interac e-transfer into the national bank account?

Opened account in branch this past Friday late afternoon, tried to e-transfer the 2500$ from another bank to national bank account but kept getting errors when trying to accept the e-transfer into the national bank account. According to contact centre agent, have to wait 2 full business days to be able to accept e-transfer into the account. Does that sound right?
I was able to do it instantly, but I did have a few errors when trying to do it through gmail vs copying the link and pasting it into a chrome tab I believe.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
Shield204 wrote: My credit score dropped 31 points according to Borrowell after opening my account and credit card here....
:(
I got hit on Desjardin's and NBC but my credit score did not drop much , more or less 25 points and I expect it to go back to 800+ after 2017.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2013
1149 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
where is the link to the info that says that accounts will now require 3k for fees to be waved..

btw I got my $350
Aug 19, 2017
23 posts
18 upvotes
Account opened on Aug 28th,
Got 350 today.
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
Ychanceit wrote: where is the link to the info that says that accounts will now require 3k for fees to be waved..

btw I got my $350
Not now ... but by January 22, 2018 .. and maybe even by mid-March in our case(s) (when someone has existing account already).

And there is no link to official info yet ... as the changes are very new and info is unofficial kinda ... as stated in above post of mine, the notices of upcoming changes should be ready around November 6 .. and then should be sent out to people like us etc ...

Then probably we can expect some link to this info to exist .. but not just as of yet.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Looks like I'm late to this deal. Mind you, at $3,000 minimum balance to avoid the monthly fee, the deal is a little less hot.

How often do these deals pop up? This is essentially tax-free money (since what the bank gives you as an incentive is a "prize").

If I plan it right, could borrow the money from an MBNA card, absorb the 1% upfront, but still collect the prize using money that isn't mine.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
2017-10-30 INTER-FI DEBIT TANGERINE $ 350.00 $ 2,500.15
2017-10-26 CREDIT MEMO $ 350.00 $ 2,850.15
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2016
1918 posts
1389 upvotes
GTA
new client here. called the bank last Oct05 for an appointment. They scheduled me for an appointment the next day Oct06.
when i went to that branch on the specified appointment time, they say that the FA is not available and i have to reschedule again. really frustrated and not a good impression for a new client, but fortunately one FA volunteered to assist me.
took about 90minutes for the whole account opening. i took the chequing account and deposited 2500 cash and around 15 in cheque. i also applied for the mastercard cash back credit card.

i received the credit card and had it activated last Oct27. when we used the credit card on the merchant terminal, it says Please call bank, transaction cancelled! really embarassing, good thing i have my main credit card with me.
contacted customer service and they say there is nothing wrong with the card and they checked it is activated. gonna try it again next week when we do our groceries so hopefully it will work!

EDIT: i have checked my credit score weekyl with credit karma and it hasnt dropped yet. from 757 as of Oct04 it jumped to 772 as of Oct25. I'll check the numbers by November hopefully nothing bad,
Pixel 6a combo -
$8 talk text PM plan
$0 4GB eSIM data only plan
$1 voip backup line
May 18, 2017
597 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Damm forgot about this deal. No appointments available today after 3pm at locations I can reach. Too bad we can't do this online.
Feb 18, 2009
258 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
I have appt at 2 today. Hopefully it should be quick. I don't see how it can take 90 minutes to open an account.
Aug 23, 2016
34 posts
10 upvotes
Received my $350 bonus today (opened account in mid-august).

Only transaction I have made is the initial $2500 deposit into chequing. Never used savings account nor credit card (just called to activate it).
Feb 6, 2013
108 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Phantompiano wrote: Received my $350 bonus today (opened account in mid-august).

Only transaction I have made is the initial $2500 deposit into chequing. Never used savings account nor credit card (just called to activate it).
Congrats.... I wonder if that one transaction would be sufficient for me as well.

For all who already received bonus, please share your "one transaction "
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Darkman wrote: So I called them on Sunday ... about this ... to fish for more details ...

This is part of new changes etc ... Details are very new still .. but Notices should be ready and go out around November 6 or so.

From what I was able to gather ... - YES .. by January 22, 2018, -- this type of account will require $3000 in it to avoid monthly fee.

Will be some account changes though however to account itself ... I think CSR informed me that Interac will be free in this account .. (or something like that) .. and current 22 free debit transactions will become 30 (or so free debit transactions).

The good thing about all of this COULD BE THOUGH (not sure 100% on this now) ... that January 22, 2018's $3000 requirement is for new accounts ... and WE (people with existing accounts) might need to be at $3000 (to avoid monthly fee) by March 14, 2018 mark or around there .. that's when our "old" similar accounts will officially become these "new" upcoming similar accounts ...

Clerk wasn't totally sure on all of this however .. so best to wait for official notices and details to become public ... and info should be indicated in there ...

I guess time will show.
CSR told me that for existing customers, we have until 3/18 to transfer over to the $3K minimum account, while for new customers it begins as you stated, on 1/22
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18704 posts
5738 upvotes
got the $350 for each of us...thx OP...

easy bonus return....10% return..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
Got my $350 today too.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
newt_101 wrote: CSR told me that for existing customers, we have until 3/18 to transfer over to the $3K minimum account, while for new customers it begins as you stated, on 1/22
Yep ... as mentioned, I was told more or less the same ... --- If it's true, it would be a good thing ... (Jan 22 vs March 18) ... - almost 2 months delay :)