2019 Air Miles Shop The Block

National (Except BC/YT/TBay/QC) - SOBEYS - 5x AMs WUS $ 50+ in store (Nov 14th thru Dec 27th)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2020 6:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario

National (Except BC/YT/TBay/QC) - SOBEYS - 5x AMs WUS $ 50+ in store (Nov 14th thru Dec 27th)

NOTE - This STB Offer is available across 3 Regions of the Sobey’s Group ... Western Canada - Ontario - Atlantic Canada

When posting Comments in this thread it would be helpful to state where you are (if not shown in your RFD Profile Below your Avatar) as we expect some experiences to differ slightly Canada Wide. Thanks

OFFER

5X Bonus AirMiles @ SOBEY’s When You Spend $ 50 or more on almost anything in store ... Nov 14 thru December 27th, 2019

COUPON STATUS - COUPON REQUIRED ... COUPON BAR CODE = 0 61925 86638 6

FINE PRINT

>>> Offer valid November 14 to December 27, 2019. Valid at participating Sobeys locations locations in Western Canada, Ontario, and Atlantic Canada.

Multiplier offer applies to standard Base Offer of 1 Mile for every $20.00 purchase.
Get 1 Base Mile plus 4 Bonus Miles for every $20 in eligible grocery purchases.
Minimum qualified purchase must be spent in a single transaction.

EXCLUSIONS can vary by Region (see Below)

* WESTERN CANADA (AB/SK/MB/NT/NU) and ONTARIO - Excluding taxes, delivery charges, bill payments, service fees, rental fees, event tickets, gift cards, prepaid cards, postal products and services, Western Union® products and services, prescriptions, non-prescription pharmacy services, diabetes merchandise, insulin pumps and supplies, tobacco products, lottery, transit passes, deposits, environmental charges, liquor, McCafé®, Starbucks®, Tim Hortons®, fuel, and all other goods or services specified by participating grocers or excluded by law. ("Non-Discountable Products").

* ATLANTIC CANADA (NB/PE/NS/NL) - Excluding taxes, delivery charges, bill payments, service fees, bus tickets / passes, event tickets, Gift Cards, prepaid cards, postal products and services, prescriptions, pharmacy services, postal products and services, tobacco products, deposits, environmental charges, alcoholic beverages, fuel, fluid dairy products, Lottery and other goods and services which are non discountable.

AIR MILES® Cash redemptions qualify towards this offer's purchase requirement.
Limit of one offer per Collector Number.
Coupon and AIR MILES® Card must be presented at time of purchase.
This AIR MILES® offer CANNOT BE COMBINED with any other discount offer or AIR MILES® coupon offer, including Customer Appreciation Day.
See store for complete details.

®™Trademarks of AM Royalties Limited Partnership used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. and Sobeys.
THREAD VERIFIED WITH STB WEBSITE by Points Hubby - December 9th
26 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TIPS & TRICKS

* Buy $150 Sobeys GC get 150AM (Flyer Offer Dec 5th thru 11th)
Then use GC to buy $150 grocery from Sobey’s, Safeway, IGA West
Repeat @ Sobeys, Safeway, IGA West (where available... See STB Website = www.shoptheblock.ca for details) ... and That's an easy at least 480 AM with 3 partners!
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2006
1248 posts
785 upvotes
for what it's worth. I went to buy gift cards with my Sobeys gift card today, it's totally YMMV, I had cashiers reject me and say they can't, but some that allowed it.
the one that allowed it also scanned the STB coupon that's on her till, and it qualified for $50+. I got 5x the miles on my gift card, and it says shop the block offer on my receipt.
Mar 19, 2007
483 posts
485 upvotes
bobobee wrote: for what it's worth. I went to buy gift cards with my Sobeys gift card today, it's totally YMMV, I had cashiers reject me and say they can't, but some that allowed it.
the one that allowed it also scanned the STB coupon that's on her till, and it qualified for $50+. I got 5x the miles on my gift card, and it says shop the block offer on my receipt.
Bought 2 gift cards on 2 different transactions. Both times the coupon was scanned. First $50 Shell GC got zero AM. Second was Lowe’s $50 GC, got me 2AM, but no 5x STB bonus.

Care to share what GC you bought and what dollar value?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2006
1248 posts
785 upvotes
daddymac wrote: Bought 2 gift cards on 2 different transactions. Both times the coupon was scanned. First $50 Shell GC got zero AM. Second was Lowe’s $50 GC, got me 2AM, but no 5x STB bonus.

I did multiple transactions and different values.
I was buying the OLG gift card $50.00. I got 2 miles, then got 13 bonus miles. For a total of 15AM

This gift card is in the flyer for an additional $10.00 sobey's gift card. which they have to scan in the system. maybe this messed up the system?
So on my receipt it looks like
OLG $50.00
Sobey's corporation gift card $10.00
Sobey's corporation gift card -$10.00

Total pay $50.00
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bobobee wrote: for what it's worth. I went to buy gift cards with my Sobeys gift card today, it's totally YMMV, I had cashiers reject me and say they can't, but some that allowed it.
daddymac wrote: Bought 2 gift cards on 2 different transactions. Both times the coupon was scanned. First $50 Shell GC got zero AM. Second was Lowe’s $50 GC, got me 2AM, but no 5x STB bonus.

bobobee wrote: I did multiple transactions and different values.
I was buying the OLG gift card $50.00. I got 2 miles, then got 13 bonus miles. For a total of 15AM

This gift card is in the flyer for an additional $10.00 sobey's gift card. which they have to scan in the system. maybe this messed up the system?
So on my receipt it looks like
OLG $50.00
Sobey's corporation gift card $10.00
Sobey's corporation gift card -$10.00

Total pay $50.00
For what it’s worth ...

Have seen this happen before in other AirMiles BIG BONUS Events

Just be prepared to have Miles you saw on your receipt for STB never make it to POST in your AirMiles Account

As per the fine print Gift Cards are not eligible

Also WHY Sobey’s Group has a POSTING DELAY in their AMs Reporting Schedule ... someone actually looks out for this stuff.

If it does POST ... consider it a fluke
Oct 30, 2017
634 posts
644 upvotes
London, ON
There is a $5 off $40 coupon in their flyer for newsletter sign up, has anyone tried to combine it with STB? Thanks
Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions you might have.
Feb 11, 2008
727 posts
232 upvotes
775681 wrote: There is a $5 off $40 coupon in their flyer for newsletter sign up, has anyone tried to combine it with STB? Thanks
I have the same question, also, this coupon will be treated as payment or discount in Sobeys? Thanks
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
775681 wrote: There is a $5 off $40 coupon in their flyer for newsletter sign up, has anyone tried to combine it with STB? Thanks
Ilikedealsss wrote: I have the same question, also, this coupon will be treated as payment or discount in Sobeys? Thanks
I think not...
it says right in the fine print / T&Cs on the STB 2019 Coupon

This AIR MILES® offer CANNOT BE COMBINED with any other discount offer or AIR MILES® coupon offer, including Customer Appreciation Day.

But hey, YMMV

Personally, I wouldn’t even attempt it
As my plan to get as many STB PARTNER COUNTS done without hassle / refusal
And to maximize my miles at the same time
So i’ll be doing a pre Christmas shop of over $ 150
So I don’t want to mess up on a grocery shop trip that will net me 50 BAMs * or more for the sake of a $ 5 coupon that I can use any other day

* 1 AM / $ 20 x 5 = 35 STB BAMs + whatever ones are on items in the store on the day I shop

This $ 150 Sobey’s Shop has a lot riding on it for me ... as it will be prob my last of the 7 needed for the BIG BONUS too (another 1200 AMs)
Oct 7, 2015
767 posts
814 upvotes
Vanier, ON
Anyone knows if beer qualifies ?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
x8ssJoe wrote: Anyone knows if beer qualifies ?
READ the Coupon’s T&Cs ... it’s right there ... and I have transcribed it in the OP as well:
* WESTERN CANADA (AB/SK/MB/NT/NU) and ONTARIO - Excluding : taxes, delivery charges, bill payments, service fees, rental fees, event tickets, gift cards, prepaid cards, postal products and services, Western Union® products and services, prescriptions, non-prescription pharmacy services, diabetes merchandise, insulin pumps and supplies, tobacco products, lottery, transit passes, deposits, environmental charges, liquor, McCafé®, Starbucks®, Tim Hortons®, fuel, and all other goods or services specified by participating grocers or excluded by law. ("Non-Discountable Products").

LIQUOR = Booze / alcoholic beverages
Same rules as ALWAYS @ SOBEYs Group ... NO AirMiles on Booze
Oct 7, 2015
767 posts
814 upvotes
Vanier, ON
PointsHubby wrote: READ the Coupon’s T&Cs ... it’s right there ... and I have transcribed it in the OP as well:

LIQUOR = Booze / alcoholic beverages
Same rules as ALWAYS @ SOBEYs Group ... NO AirMiles on Booze
Thanks for the clarification.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2006
1248 posts
785 upvotes
Ilikedealsss wrote: I have the same question, also, this coupon will be treated as payment or discount in Sobeys? Thanks
this worked for me as payment. with coupons and this $5.00 coupon I ended up paying $30.00 out of pocket and my receipt shows STB 5X miles earned.
Feb 11, 2008
727 posts
232 upvotes
bobobee wrote: this worked for me as payment. with coupons and this $5.00 coupon I ended up paying $30.00 out of pocket and my receipt shows STB 5X miles earned.
Thanks!
Feb 11, 2008
727 posts
232 upvotes
So, I did the shopping, the products are $50.95 (before tax), use the STB coupon (5x miles w/$50 or more) and the newsletter sign up coupon ($5 off w/$40 or more), the breakdown of the receipt as follows:

Grocery
Marketing Promo 6 $0.00
Marketing Promo 3 $0.00
Product $.x.xx
Coupons
Vendor Coupon -$x.xx (I used $35.98 vendor coupons, mostly are FPC)

Receipt Coupon Printed - Tell Customer (I got a print out coupon, which is $5 off w/$50 or more between Dec 19-24, 2019)
1 AM FOR EVERY $20 2 Miles
Shop the Block 8 Miles
Welcome Offer -$5.00

Subtotal $9.97
Total Tax $0.00

The Mfg coupons and Sobeys welcome coupon are treated as payment, and the welcome coupon and the STB offer can be combined but YMMV, the cashier got the manager's approval before she scanned it.

Also, the family size Kellogg’s cereals are on sale at $4.99 till Jan 8 per the tag, you can buy two and get $5 prepaid card back:
https://www.kelloggsgrocerycash.ca/

If you buy 3, you can get 30 Bonus Miles too, not bad considering the third pack almost free per the Mile value, but remember you can get only one $5 prepaid card on each receipt.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8517 posts
6260 upvotes
I just received an email that they missed me so 10% off my $25 or more purchase. So with $5 coupon, 10% off, now I need to buy $61 to be qualified for STB?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mkl38s wrote: I just received an email that they missed me so 10% off my $25 or more purchase. So with $5 coupon, 10% off, now I need to buy $61 to be qualified for STB?
YMMV when it comes to using additional coupons

As per the T&Cs ... from the fine print
AIR MILES® Cash redemptions qualify towards this offer's purchase requirement.
Limit of one offer per Collector Number.
Coupon and AIR MILES® Card must be presented at time of purchase.
See store for complete details.
Sometimes. Collectors THINK they got all the promotions cuz the Cashier took & scanned the coupons
Or punched in the Codes
Then the PLU / SKU # shows up on the receipt
Maybe ... even ALL these various Miles & BAMs print out on the bottom

BUT ... that doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone will see all the various offers ACTUALLY STACK

There is a POSTING CYCLE ... and this gives Retailers the opportunity to review transactions

Sometimes stuff goes thru to POST all these various offers
Sometimes it doesnt
If it ends up it doesn’t
Retailers like Sobey’s Group will just quote you back the STB Offer’s T&Cs

Personally I don’t risk my STB Offers in this way
I WANT & NEED the STB Offers to go thru the first time ... painless & hassle free
My whole aim is that
Get the BIG BONUS Miles in one shot
And not be dealing with returning to the store for a Redo
Or chasing down missing miles & partner counts
With the Retailer
Or worse yet AirMiles 120 Days later
Honestly I got better things planned for the end of April 2020
(Lol like concentrating on MegaMiles by then)

ALSO ... as this is a ONE TIME per Collector Number situation
I definitely want to follow the rules to the letter
Cuz you never know if the Retailers System is recording your AMs #
You get it wrong, and you may not even get another kick at the can
Even if you did it all right the second time
The system might just IGNORE that additional transaction
(This is how the SHELL Offer works ... Maximum 20 BAMs per Collector = 4 Transactions ... make a 5th, and it will ignore you)

Again, I don’t leave anything to chance
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8517 posts
6260 upvotes
coupon mentioned AM redemption is accepted. Does it mean I can redeem parts of my $50+ purchase and still qualify for STB?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2950 posts
1611 upvotes
mkl38s wrote: coupon mentioned AM redemption is accepted. Does it mean I can redeem parts of my $50+ purchase and still qualify for STB?
Probably, Yes, but personally I never take a chance on this. I prefer to pay with a cash back credit card or use gift cards that recently came with a bonus. I redeem only if there are BAM, 25, 50, etc., which happen regularly with Sobeys and Metro.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)