• Dec 17th, 2015 3:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18501 posts
930 upvotes

National retailers that don't accept American Express

Given the new popularity of the Amex SPG card and the ever-popular Amex Gold 2% and Amex Costco card, I thought it would be useful to have a thread where we can keep track of national retailers that do not accept American Express. but accept Mastercard and/or Visa

Please reply with ones you know of and I will add them to this post, so other RFDers can have a resource.

As a matter of note - I have never been to an national chain eat-in restaurant or gas station (so far) that did not accept American Express...

*Update* Smittys is one!
*Update* Removed Tim Hortons and McDonalds and Subway since they now take Amex. Added DQ. Removed Zellers since they are shut down.

---

Here are ones I have made note of lately:

Grocery Stores:
Loblaws
Real Canadian/Atlantic Superstore
Zehrs
No Frills (Mastercard only)
Independant Grocer
T&T Supermarket
IGA (conflicting reports)
Maxi
Videotron
Mac's Sushi

Fast Food:

Starbucks (some locations reject)
Wendy's
Second Cup (some locations reject)
KFC (some locations?)
A&W
Arbys (mc only)
Dairy Queen

Restaurants
Smitty's

Department Stores
Canadian Tire (some stores reject. All gas bars take Amex)
Factory Direct
IKEA
Giant Tiger

Clothing:
None yet

Insurance / Finance
BelAir
Scotiabank
DesJardins
Sunlife
State farm
Trafalgar

Other
UPS Store
Fitness Depot
Reliance Heating
Frescho grocers
IDRF charity
Google Play Canada
Home hardware (some locations)
Travelzoo
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
193 replies
Jan 9, 2010
638 posts
112 upvotes
Hm.... Starbucks takes AMEX.... At least all the ones that I've been to.

I know that Wendy's, Subway and KFC doesn't take AMEX though (although in the case of KFC I have seen some DT that do take it).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18501 posts
930 upvotes
moofur wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 7:23 am
Hm.... Starbucks takes AMEX.... At least all the ones that I've been to.
Weird they did not for me... usually this is a national thing...
I know that Wendy's, Subway and KFC doesn't take AMEX though (although in the case of KFC I have seen some DT that do take it).
thx
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 23, 2004
33202 posts
2139 upvotes
Markham
all of the starbucks i have been to take amex. Heck, even the ones I went to in HK take amex. I think the one in macau does also but not 100% sure~

The kfc in markville mall takes amex iirc...
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Feb 16, 2009
153 posts
2 upvotes
Ashley Furniture won't take Amex as well, just tried two days ago :)
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
130 upvotes
I wonder if some national chains allow their local franchise owner to determine things like this.

At my local Canadian Tire, the sticker on the pump at the gas bar displays an Amex logo but I have never personally used my Amex at the gas pump. However, when I went to use my Amex in the store in the same Canadian Tire complex it told me invalid card type (or something like that) when I swiped my Amex in the self-checkout lane. (edit. Maybe it was a glitch because they recently upgraded to chip readers in the self-checkout lanes. I'll try again sometime in the future. /edit)

"Your Independant Grocer" does not take Amex. I'm not sure how much of a national chain they are, but there are quite a few here in eastern Ontario. I believe they are part of the Loblaws chain, but I could be wrong.
Mar 23, 2004
33202 posts
2139 upvotes
Markham
Paulfistinyourface wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 9:37 am
I wonder if some national chains allow their local franchise owner to determine things like this.
yes they do..well except tim hortons since all of them only take mc.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
8984 posts
238 upvotes
I know you can reload your Starbucks card using AMEX...
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1842 posts
85 upvotes
Wouldn't it be more useful to list where amex is accepted? Or at the very least an accepted list in addition to where it is not accepted.

I don't find a 'not accepted' list on its own to be particularly very useful.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1062 posts
69 upvotes
M08006899 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 11:27 am
Second Cup doesn't
The one at University and Front does. Actually, the ones I've visited all took AMEX... The smaller chains may allow franchisees to source their own POS. The big chains may have a franchise wide agreement.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
8984 posts
238 upvotes
myapple wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 11:30 am
Wouldn't it be more useful to list where amex is accepted? Or at the very least an accepted list in addition to where it is not accepted.

well that list would be too long. Most places accept AMEX now.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8452 posts
8 upvotes
myapple wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 11:30 am

I'd agree.
rems wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 12:04 pm
well that list would be too long. Most places accept AMEX now.
Really? I'd disagree..but if this is the case then I see almost less use for this list...in fact..I really can't understand the purpose of this list at all.
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
× < >