Tags:
May 14, 2006
242 posts
6 upvotes
London
HighFlyer wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 11:04 am
state farm insurance
you can pay state farm with a credit card?!
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9053 posts
245 upvotes
ullyeus wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 12:18 pm
Really? I'd disagree..but if this is the case then I see almost less use for this list...in fact..I really can't understand the purpose of this list at all.
Before GO Transit never accepted it and now they do. Even a local chinese restaurant takes Amex now. There`s only a few places I shop which doesn`t take Amex...I can go an entire 2 or 3 billing cycles without using my Visa.
Dec 1, 2009
33 posts
GTA
I'm fairly sure Subway may be on a franchise by franchise basis. Most Starbucks I've been too take AMEX. Most McDonalds take Amex now and I think they're rolling out to more.

Is it true that a PayPass VISA will work at Tim Hortons? I thought they only took Mastercard. Just want to clarify.

As for shops that have all stores take AMEX (at least ones I frequent):
Metro (can also double dip with AirMiles)
Shoppers Drug Mart (double dip Optimum)
Wal-Mart
TTC Metropass
GO Transit.
NCIX.com

So those can be added to the list as places that take it. I always shopped at those stores beforehand as well, so no change for me.
Mar 3, 2010
588 posts
38 upvotes
You are chasing here "bad guys" that don't take Amex. You should ask any of merchants why they don't take it in the first place.
Because Amex merchant fees are higher and being merchant for Amex more costly than for other credit cards.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2822 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
quentin0 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 12:26 pm
yup, many insurance companies accept cc now. Though not many accept Amex for some reason.

I know with statefarm, it's fairly recent... I remember trying to pay with CC a few years ago and they said no. Asked again in 2008 and they said yes.
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
Dec 20, 2006
517 posts
42 upvotes
Where I use Amex... (well some I now use my SmartCash)...

Costco
Starbucks
McDonalds
ICBC
Ncix
Newegg
Walmart
Shoppers
The Keg
Safeway
Save on Foods
IGA
MSP
American Eagle (most clothing stores take Amex)
Cineplex
Boston Pizza
Subway is hit or miss (depends on location)

Most - 90%ish of places I shop at take Amex....
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
4166 posts
5 upvotes
T&T Supermarket does NOT accept AMEX. (Major sore point for me since I live a block away from one and as a result end up buying most of my groceries there, i.e. I stop there to buy stuff to make dinner while I'm walking by after work.)
Mar 23, 2004
33687 posts
2283 upvotes
Markham
AllWheelDrift wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 12:55 pm
T&T Supermarket does NOT accept AMEX. (Major sore point for me since I live a block away from one and as a result end up buying most of my groceries there, i.e. I stop there to buy stuff to make dinner while I'm walking by after work.)
it's lucky to find an asian supermarket that even takes credit card! :eek:
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
4166 posts
5 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 1:23 pm
it's lucky to find an asian supermarket that even takes credit card! :eek:
I wouldn't know, I don't usually shop at other asian supermarkets, although I'm pretty sure H-Mart also takes credit card.
Jun 4, 2007
345 posts
7 upvotes
Amex isn't loved by a lot of retailers for their high merchant fees and also their slow reimbursements. Traditionally they took a long time to pay merchants. In some cases 90 days+.

In the Charge Card days customers would pay AMEX in full every month but AMEX wouldn't distribute the cash to the retailers for up to 2 months. This "AMEX float" was a large pile of interest free money that AMEX built their business on.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18565 posts
1009 upvotes
M-e-X-x wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 9:50 am
McDonalds, some locations don't take AMEX.
I have never seen a McDonalds that does not take Amex, and I have been to many across the country... do you have a specific one?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18565 posts
1009 upvotes
rems wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 12:04 pm
well that list would be too long. Most places accept AMEX now.
Agreed. Not accepting is the exception not the rule.
ullyeus wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 12:18 pm
I'd agree.
Really? I'd disagree..but if this is the case then I see almost less use for this list...in fact..I really can't understand the purpose of this list at all.
The purpose of the list is so that you can make proper decisions on where you buy things if you have an Amex... IE if something is the same price at Zellers and Walmart, all things being equal I will go to Walmart since Zellers does not take Amex.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
61 upvotes
quentin0 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 12:26 pm
yes, with visa or m/c only. you'd have to pay the entire 6 months premium at once.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2433 posts
40 upvotes
ZackP wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 12:31 pm
You are chasing here "bad guys" that don't take Amex. You should ask any of merchants why they don't take it in the first place.
Because Amex merchant fees are higher and being merchant for Amex more costly than for other credit cards.
I don't read any bias into brunes' post. He simply wants a list of merchants that don't take AmEx for information and practical purposes. He's not saying they have to or anything. Most people here understand why many stores don't take AmEx.
Banned
Jun 4, 2009
387 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
it would be simpler to list stores that accept amex.
× < >