• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2015 3:28 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2008
4968 posts
982 upvotes
Montreal
I did not check for doubles, I looked a list I prepared some time ago.

Stores that refuse Amex in Quebec:
- IGA
- Videotron
- Maxi (RCSS equivalent)

Stores that accept Amex:
- Metro (grocery store)
- Dynamite
- Ultramar
- Jean Coutu
- Footlocker
- Ikea
- Rona
- Telus
- Cineplex

I did see many SAQ where Amex is refused, but darkness_falls had success using Amex at SAQ, so YMMV I suppose.
Dec 1, 2009
33 posts
GTA
mada726 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2010 2:38 pm
My local college and university (Durham College/UOIT) only accepts AMEX - but at their accounting office and their continuing education office (the place in which you can pay your tuition fees and/or enroll for part-time courses or spring/summer courses - respectively).

However, at my local tuck shop, they can only process Visa, MasterCard and Interac. There is a minimum of $5.00 required to process those transactions, but that's in violation of the merchant agreement. A place inside the student centre, known as "EP Taylor's" also takes Visa, MasterCard and Interac (and as always, Cash).

The Campus bookstore can take AMEX as well. As for all of the restaurants inside the campus (UB cafe, marketplace, Country Style, Tim Hortons, Extreme Pita, Upper Crust, Simcoe Cafe, Residence cafe, etc.) they can only take Interac and cash - NQA. They can also take, whats called the "Meal plan dollars" or "flex plan dollars". I knew nothing about meal plans of course.

FYI, UOIT = University of Ontario Institute of Technology.
NQA = NO questions asked.

If I recall, at least one clothing store cannot take AMEX. In that case, a store called "Boathouse".

Bluenotes can take AMEX as well. In addition, most of the TTC stations car parks (parking lots) can take AMEX for paying for parking (parking range from $3 to a maximum of $6 on the weekdays, free after 3:00p.m. and all day Saturday, Sunday and holidays).

speaking of the TTC, they can only take Visa, Mastercard, Interac and AMEX - only to buy the monthly Metropass or GTA weekly passes. You cannot use those cards to pay with your transit fare. That means you can only pay by cash or buy tokens.

I also recall, those automated Coca-Cola vending machines can take AMEX (with a swipe) and Visa and MasterCard. Heck, I was able to use my BMO SPC MasterCard equipped with PayPass on that Paypass reader.

some H&M outlets can take AMEX. The one in Pickering takes AMEX.
Howdy fellow DCer/UOITer

As far as I know, the registration office takes Visa, MC and Interac as well. At least that's what their signs say, I've only ever paid online though.

You can use Amex to load up a Campus Cash Card for use at food service places that only take Interac and Cash, I think the minimum amount is like $50 or $100 dollars and is valid for the academic year. I'm going to purchase one next year because:
A) I'm going to spend at least $100 in coffee, pizza, donuts, pitas etc over the school year
B) I don't care to use Interac
C) 100 more SPG points!

The Campus Cash card is easier over all, you just swipe and go. If you have a legit meal plan, then your ID is your payment card.

The H&M in the OC take Amex. I wish there were more Paypass/Swipe card enabled vending machines around, I've only ever seen em at the CN Tower.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 1:23 pm
it's lucky to find an asian supermarket that even takes credit card! :eek:
T&T, Foody Mart, H-Mart take credit card. Even if the grocery store takes AMEX, I would not use it. I would use Smart cash to get 3% anyway.
brunes wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 2:00 pm
I have never seen a McDonalds that does not take Amex, and I have been to many across the country... do you have a specific one?
The one I go to takes Amex.
Rabo_Karabekian wrote:
Apr 21st, 2010 11:47 pm
FYI a friend of mine successfully bought a wrench at Canadian Tire today with his SPG Amex. Yonge and Dundas location in TO.

So maybe it could be store by store.
I have been using Amex in Canadian Tire for so long that I cannot even remember. At least more than 10 years. I used it in Gas Bar, Store and online. I have not been to one that does not take it yet. Although these days, I use gift card most of the time but in some odd occasion, I may use the Amex to buy a GC and then buy stuff using the GC.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Oct 6, 2008
187 posts
2 upvotes
mtl
cashinstinct wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2010 10:12 pm
I did not check for doubles, I looked a list I prepared some time ago.

Stores that refuse Amex in Quebec:
- IGA
- SAQ
- Videotron
- Maxi (RCSS equivalent)

Stores that accept Amex:
- Metro (grocery store)
- Dynamite
- Ultramar
- Jean Coutu
- Footlocker
- Ikea
- Rona
- Telus
- Cineplex

The SAQ definitely takes Amex ... bought a bottle of wine yesterday with it.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
4166 posts
4 upvotes
Tried to use my Amex at Nando's last night. Even though the till had the amex logo, when I tried to use the card they said they don't accept it and pointed to the terminal/pin-pad and said they got a new machine that doesn't take Amex.

They are a franchise, so I suspect it's one of those places that varies from store to store.
Apr 13, 2009
194 posts
63 upvotes
Kelowna
Canadian Tire, Zellers, and IGA all take Amex in Kelowna, BC.

Superstore does not, but their gas bar does.
Sep 3, 2008
152 posts
3 upvotes
Original Joes (a restaurant chain in Western Canada) doesn't take Amex as I found out tonight :mad:
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1604 posts
15 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
Rabo_Karabekian wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2010 11:48 pm
I wish there were more Paypass/Swipe card enabled vending machines around, I've only ever seen em at the CN Tower.
When I last went to Vaughan Mills, their vending machines have Paypass/swipe card readers on the Coca-Cola vending machines.

When I was at last year's CNE in Toronto, the vending machines inside the Direct Energy Centre have those type of readers, but not the food building - where the Coca-Cola vendor is situated (if you head north of BMO field and enter the South entrance of the food building, you'll see the Coca-Cola stand on your left and the area - where the old Hershey's Chocolates vendor used to stand - that old Hershey's stand is now a Maple Lodge Farms stand).
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1604 posts
15 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
Since this thread is not gaining enough "traction", I would like to revisit it.

during the CNE in Toronto (which is held every summer from mid-August to Labour Day in September), the admissions gate take AMEX.

I'm not sure if some of the merchants take AMEX, but the majority of the merchants there - inside the Direct Energy Centre take either Cash, Visa, MasterCard and Interac Debit.

Certain merchants are welcome to accept US dollars (as we have a lot of American tourists visit the CNE), but it's anyone's guess.

One other thing, a local Chinese restaurant in Oshawa (Ontario) called "New Globe Restaurant" takes AMEX.
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
15374 posts
1221 upvotes
Langley
brunes wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 2:00 pm
I have never seen a McDonalds that does not take Amex, and I have been to many across the country... do you have a specific one?
64th Ave and 176th St in Surrey.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4691 posts
4629 upvotes
Toronto
brunes wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 6:55 am
Starbucks (some locations reject)
Subway
Second Cup (some locations reject)
Canadian Tire (some stores reject. All gas bars take Amex)
Every one of those retailers I have every been to in Canada have taken Amex (probably 7-8 locations each, not all in the same city.)
Yes, Here's to the few
Who forgive what you do
And the fewer who don't even care.
Apr 29, 2006
357 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
I am seeing a lot of RFDers respond about AMEX being accepted at Cineplex but I have tried two in Toronto and they wouldn't take it. Silvercity Yorkdale and Colossus on Hwy 7 & Weston Road wouldn't take AMEX so I am forced to use VISA. AFAIK, I was completely sure no cineplex locations took AMEX. :(
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5197 posts
110 upvotes
Mississauga
blu3xtc wrote:
Apr 30th, 2010 12:43 am
I am seeing a lot of RFDers respond about AMEX being accepted at Cineplex but I have tried two in Toronto and they wouldn't take it. Silvercity Yorkdale and Colossus on Hwy 7 & Weston Road wouldn't take AMEX so I am forced to use VISA. AFAIK, I was completely sure no cineplex locations took AMEX. :(
Their online ticketing site does.
Sep 30, 2007
46 posts
4 upvotes
M-e-X-x wrote:
Apr 30th, 2010 9:46 am
Their online ticketing site does.
I went to catch a movie at Cineplex Richmond Center few days ago. Although they don't advertise it, I was able to pay by amex. I bought 1 ticket through the machine and 1 ticket throught the clerk. The clerk was even suprised that the transaction went through.
× < >