Off Topic

Nationwide Home Comfort door to door assessment scam?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2016 8:15 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 8, 2011
7 posts
NORTH YORK

Nationwide Home Comfort door to door assessment scam?

Today I have someone from Nationwide Home Comfort knocking on my door asking to do some kind of residential energy assessment. For some reason I let her in to check out the furnace( a stupid move). And off course she said everything is wrong with our furnace and A/C and we could get a fine or gas cut off and stuff. She gave me a residential energy assessment form at the end and asked my parents( the home owners) to contact her.I did not sign anything or provide any information to her, but I am still paranoid and wonder if anything would happen after I let her in? Has anyone ever deal with them before?
18 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15980 posts
1883 upvotes
As long as you didn't sign anything, you should be fine.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2011
7 posts
NORTH YORK
coolspot wrote:
Feb 19th, 2016 2:56 pm
As long as you didn't sign anything, you should be fine.
Thanks. I am worried mainly because she started saying things like if we don't upgrade our furnace she can report it to the government to have us fined and have our gas cut off. It may just be a sales tactic but I still feel uneasy about things she said.
Jan 6, 2013
78 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
heysayll wrote:
Feb 19th, 2016 3:17 pm
Thanks. I am worried mainly because she started saying things like if we don't upgrade our furnace she can report it to the government to have us fined and have our gas cut off. It may just be a sales tactic but I still feel uneasy about things she said.
Sounds like a whole lot of hot air. Your only mistake was not knowing about the scam, now you know and will act accordingly the next time one of these stooges comes along.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1616 posts
339 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Water heater scammers are known for forging signatures and fraud, as long as you didn't show her any paperwork from your current rental company you should be ok.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
I agree with the other posters. However, have you told your parents - the actual homeowners, as I expect they would want to know?
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
11165 posts
1445 upvotes
Markham
heysayll wrote:
Feb 19th, 2016 2:50 pm
Today I have someone from Nationwide Home Comfort knocking on my door asking to do some kind of residential energy assessment. For some reason I let her in to check out the furnace( a stupid move). And off course she said everything is wrong with our furnace and A/C and we could get a fine or gas cut off and stuff. She gave me a residential energy assessment form at the end and asked my parents( the home owners) to contact her.I did not sign anything or provide any information to her, but I am still paranoid and wonder if anything would happen after I let her in? Has anyone ever deal with them before?
Ontario Banning door-to-door sales for energy contracts
ontario-banning-door-door-sales-energy- ... s-1876693/

you should report them
80TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 60TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
40TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
2690 posts
198 upvotes
North Etobicoke
Apparently when they train them, they tell them if they see a lot of cars in the driveway it most likely a rental properly. For the last two visit the opening like was ..Are you the home owner? (No, obvious answer) Is this a rental property? (yes) Sorry, we will contact the landlord. I was wondering what that gave them that impression.
Apr 20, 2016
1 posts
Hey, like you I had one of Nationwide's representatives come to my home, and like you I was skeptical of a possible scam. However, after doing some research I found out they were a legit company, and I decided to upgrade with them. I am happy to say it was a positive experience. The agent I spoke with was very knowledgeable about what I needed in my home. I had builders model furnace which was too small, causing a lot of cool spots throughout my house. This is something my wife had been constantly complaining about. Before I had the unit installed their customer service department gave me a call explaining what I would be purchasing and how much I would be paying. After it was outlined, I signed the contract which included a free installation and a 10 year warranty. They also qualified me for rebates to aid with the cost of the unit. My unit was installed in September and I have yet to see any problems.

While you always should be vigilant of any door to door sales, I think you can breath a little easier with regards to this company.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
dennis525 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2016 7:53 pm
Hey, like you I had one of Nationwide's representatives come to my home, and like you I was skeptical of a possible scam. However, after doing some research I found out they were a legit company, and I decided to upgrade with them. I am happy to say it was a positive experience. The agent I spoke with was very knowledgeable about what I needed in my home. I had builders model furnace which was too small, causing a lot of cool spots throughout my house. This is something my wife had been constantly complaining about. Before I had the unit installed their customer service department gave me a call explaining what I would be purchasing and how much I would be paying. After it was outlined, I signed the contract which included a free installation and a 10 year warranty. They also qualified me for rebates to aid with the cost of the unit. My unit was installed in September and I have yet to see any problems.

While you always should be vigilant of any door to door sales, I think you can breath a little easier with regards to this company.
liar liar pants on fire
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
3704 posts
1255 upvotes
Toronto
dennis525 wrote:

:facepalm:

Are you the owner of said company?
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16290 posts
1750 upvotes
Langley
dennis525 wrote:

Obvious shill is obvious.