Home & Garden

Natural Gas BBQ quick connect.... different size...

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2012 5:11 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 6, 2004
57 posts

Natural Gas BBQ quick connect.... different size...

Picked up a new BBQ a few weeks ago at Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/broil-m ... ill/928674). Just got back from vacation and decided to hook it all up.

Unfortunately, the hose they have on the BBQ doesn't fit into the quick connect fitting that is on my building terrace. The male piece coming from the BBQ is too big for the female piece that is on the wall. Anyone come across this or have a work around?

I was told that because the natural gas is flowing from a source providing LESS output than the BBQ required, I would need to go to the source and have the coupling changed. (If I had the opposite problem, I could reduce the flow of gas to the BBQ... but my BBQ needs MORE power than the connection allows).

Hopefully someone knows the solution - or else I'm gonna have a hell of a time returning this BBQ.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1058 posts
107 upvotes
Markham
The standard size is 3/8 inch. Your new BBQ comes with 1/2". All that has to be done is the gas piping stripped back to the 1/2" run and put the new quick disconnect on

Call a licensed gas tech to be safe.
Providing Customers with the highest quality Home Comfort Products, and service! http://www.homestars.com/companies/2781 ... ly-med-air
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
6844 posts
1053 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bririp wrote:
Aug 5th, 2012 6:46 am
The standard size is 3/8 inch. Your new BBQ comes with 1/2". All that has to be done is the gas piping stripped back to the 1/2" run and put the new quick disconnect on

Call a licensed gas tech to be safe.
Don't listen to this. :facepalm: Go to HD, they sell a step down just for this purpose.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1628 posts
187 upvotes
Yeah, a step-down is easiest. You could also replace the connector on the pipe. It's not the least bit difficult.

Do whatever works out to be cheaper.
[OP]
Oct 6, 2004
57 posts
Problem is, I'm not "stepping-down", I'd be "stepping up". If the pipe was 1/2" and the BBQ was 3/8", I could step down. But essentially I'm not powering the BBQ with enough.

HD couldn't find me any sort of adaptor or connection to make it work. The BBQ store told me I needed to go back to the source of the natural gas to fix it.

I went to Lowes and they just said for me to unscrew the 1/2" pipe from the BBQ and replace it with 3/8". I was hesitant but I asked them about their huge BBQ's and they said they all provide the 3/8" pipe for all.

I almost want to say the full power of the 1/2" hose is only needed if ALL the burners are on, including the side burner. I don't think I'd get to that stage anytime.

I unscrewed the 1/2" hose off the BBQ, connected the 3/8" one and it all fits. I'm now really hesitant to turn it on.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1628 posts
187 upvotes
sachit64 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2012 5:56 pm
Problem is, I'm not "stepping-down", I'd be "stepping up". If the pipe was 1/2" and the BBQ was 3/8", I could step down. But essentially I'm not powering the BBQ with enough.

HD couldn't find me any sort of adaptor or connection to make it work. The BBQ store told me I needed to go back to the source of the natural gas to fix it.

I went to Lowes and they just said for me to unscrew the 1/2" pipe from the BBQ and replace it with 3/8". I was hesitant but I asked them about their huge BBQ's and they said they all provide the 3/8" pipe for all.

I almost want to say the full power of the 1/2" hose is only needed if ALL the burners are on, including the side burner. I don't think I'd get to that stage anytime.

I unscrewed the 1/2" hose off the BBQ, connected the 3/8" one and it all fits. I'm now really hesitant to turn it on.
Get a spray bottle and fill it with soapy water. Turn on the gas, and spray the area you modified with the soapy solution. Feel free to soak it. if it's leaking any gas you'll see air bubbles forming. If nothing happens, you're good to go!
Aug 22, 2009
23 posts
I had the exact same issue with my new BBQ and Terrace. Called these guys and they were great. Cost $150, but well worth it - they set it up, tested for leaks and showed me how the system worked.

416 670 9310
gasman4u@gmail.com
Nov 9, 2008
758 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Just experienced the exact same issue as OP when we converted our BBQ from propane to NG last weekend (replaced the manifold etc). The quick connect was 3/8 and the line outside the house was 1/2. I picked up a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer from a local hardware store, wrapped the threadings in some thick teflon tape, and away I went. You do NOT need to pay someone to do this, it is idiot proof (hence the quick connect).

Do a soapy water test on the connections like jrees posted above.
Aug 3, 2012
249 posts
39 upvotes
AURORA
jacquesstrap wrote:
Aug 20th, 2012 2:27 pm
....wrapped the threadings in some thick teflon tape, and away I went. You do NOT need to pay someone to do this, it is idiot proof (hence the quick connect).
Well if it is idiot proof, you would have known NOT TO USE teflon tape on natural gas pipe...... It is not a water hose.
Aug 12, 2012
605 posts
28 upvotes
Barrie
We purchased something at Canadian Tire that allowed our BBQ to connect to the gas line. It was 65.00 and worked like a charm, just wish my hubby didn't leave our BBQ on overnight because he forgot he was "testing" it!!! :facepalm:
Live long & drop dead
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1647 posts
540 upvotes
Kitchener
homeowner72 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2012 4:12 pm
Well if it is idiot proof, you would have known NOT TO USE teflon tape on natural gas pipe...... It is not a water hose.
lol... and you believe this because...?

I believe code states that you may use teflon tape rated for gas pipe, but you should start winding it on the second valley of the thread...
Feb 20, 2011
240 posts
26 upvotes
jamie is correct, yellow teflon tape rated for gas is used in natural gas connections or u can also use "pipe dope" which we use more common on all connections
Aug 3, 2012
249 posts
39 upvotes
AURORA
irishguy wrote:
Sep 18th, 2012 6:39 pm
jamie is correct, yellow teflon tape rated for gas is used in natural gas connections or u can also use "pipe dope" which we use more common on all connections
OK. Would have been good to mention that. I have never seen it used, but I have seen some approvals listed on the T-tape. Again, just for completeness. Before everyone runs out and buys the white T-tape.
Oct 25, 2010
486 posts
52 upvotes
I think the OP is worried that he'll be not getting enough gas to the BBQ....

Other than a general statement that I've never found a BBQ with enough heat (has anyone?) then I doubt you'll have an issue - certainly not one that would warrant re-running the line from the main.
× < >