• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 4:09 pm
[OP]
Nov 30, 2012
19 posts
2 upvotes
South Surrey

Natural gas hot water tank replacement in South Surrey

I discovered (my wife was complaining) that my 17 year 40 gallon Rheem gas hot water tank is delivering a lot less hot water and some grit like sand into the bathtub. I probably should have been draining it annually since I moved in 10 years ago, but that boat has sailed. I assume it is too late to try and drain the sediment now with a hose (anybody try this at this late stage?) I was thinking about buying the tank and also using contract plumbers from Home Depot or Rona or Lowes. If you think that would be too expensive could you recommend a reliable plumber at a decent price in the South Surrey, White Rock area?
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9185 posts
8010 upvotes
Oakville
Why not try draining it for now, and waiting for a hot deal to buy your new tank. Whatever you do, don't rent.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1405 posts
501 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Rentals don't seem to exit in B.C.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
[OP]
Nov 30, 2012
19 posts
2 upvotes
South Surrey
engineered wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:13 am
Why not try draining it for now, and waiting for a hot deal to buy your new tank. Whatever you do, don't rent.
Read something about not flushing old water heaters that have never been flushed before as they may leak (sediment is blocking holes in the tank that would then be removed, causing a leak). Also been reading about sacrificial anode replacements. Wondering if the particles from the dissolved sacrificial anode is what appears to be sand in the bath tub? Also, I have never heard of renting a tank in BC but then I have not looked into it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9185 posts
8010 upvotes
Oakville
Cents111 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 1:18 pm
Read something about not flushing old water heaters that have never been flushed before as they may leak (sediment is blocking holes in the tank that would then be removed, causing a leak). Also been reading about sacrificial anode replacements. Wondering if the particles from the dissolved sacrificial anode is what appears to be sand in the bath tub? Also, I have never heard of renting a tank in BC but then I have not looked into it.
Well, if there's a lot of sediment it could block the plug, but that would mean you need to open the water to flush it out until the plug is clear. The "sand" is likely mineral deposits in the tank that break up and flow out.
The anode dissolves at an atomic level, so you wouldn't see deposits from it.

Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1405 posts
501 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Could be the tank rusting. Lower mainland water is generally free of silt and impurities, being drawn by 3 snowmelt-fed lakes. There is sedimentation from occasionaly water mains flushing but not to that extent. I suspect the tank is toast or near it.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1106 posts
697 upvotes
After 17 years, I would be replacing it regardless ... sprouting a leak will cost you more.

I personally would buy from Lowes ...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9185 posts
8010 upvotes
Oakville
thriftshopper wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:54 pm
Could be the tank rusting. Lower mainland water is generally free of silt and impurities, being drawn by 3 snowmelt-fed lakes. There is sedimentation from occasionaly water mains flushing but not to that extent. I suspect the tank is toast or near it.
Why would a snow melt lake have any less minerals than other lakes? Than a ground well sure.

Anyhow tank is old so it should be replaced. Sales are rarely more than a month away.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2012
19 posts
2 upvotes
South Surrey
Thanks for the advice. Will definitely replace ASAP and will look for a 9 year warranty. Can anyone recommend a brand. Lowes has GSW is this a good brand?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1405 posts
501 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
engineered wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 6:13 pm
Why would a snow melt lake have any less minerals than other lakes? Than a ground well sure.
The rock base. Mountains that make up the Vancouver reservoirs are granite so not much leaches off into the water. Only time there is visually-noticeable sedimentation (from mud and organic matter) is when there's an avalanche into one of the reservoirs. Water is one of the cleanest for a city, reputedly.

Water quality report here. I imagine Surrey get its water from the Coquitlam reservoir but I may be wrong.

Where I am, (Victoria - where the reservoir is mainly volcanic rock), the water is so deficient in dissolved minerals that dental workers claim that they can tell from X-rays whether someone grew up in Victoria or not.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1405 posts
501 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Cents111 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:21 am
Thanks for the advice. Will definitely replace ASAP and will look for a 9 year warranty. Can anyone recommend a brand. Lowes has GSW is this a good brand?
I've had Giant/GW (same manufacturer). Just keep it clean and check the anode every few years.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2012
19 posts
2 upvotes
South Surrey
thriftshopper wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:36 pm
The rock base. Mountains that make up the Vancouver reservoirs are granite so not much leaches off into the water. Only time there is visually-noticeable sedimentation (from mud and organic matter) is when there's an avalanche into one of the reservoirs. Water is one of the cleanest for a city, reputedly.

Water quality report here. I imagine Surrey get its water from the Coquitlam reservoir but I may be wrong.

Where I am, (Victoria - where the reservoir is mainly volcanic rock), the water is so deficient in dissolved minerals that dental workers claim that they can tell from X-rays whether someone grew up in Victoria or not.
That makes sense as I know that the water is very soft, which I attribute to the longevity of my existing Rheem hot water heater. I just checked online and Surrey apparently gets water from all three Vancouver area reservoirs- Seymour, Capilano and Coquitlam.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2012
19 posts
2 upvotes
South Surrey
thriftshopper wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:37 pm
I've had Giant/GW (same manufacturer). Just keep it clean and check the anode every few years.
Thanks for the reply. Do you check the anode yourself or get a plumber to do this? I've looked at some videos online. You need space, a lot of muscle (and leverage) and you must be careful not to cross thread the bolt when putting it back. Is this something that is worth paying a plumber to do every few years?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9185 posts
8010 upvotes
Oakville
thriftshopper wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:36 pm

Makes sense. Thanks. That said, my water in Oakville doesn't seem to be very hard, but according to this site Oakville is 121mg/L, which puts it in the moderate hard to hard level. Nobody I know in Oakville has a softener though.
https://www.aquatell.ca/pages/water-har ... ty-ontario
Victoria is 18mg/L https://www.aquatell.ca/pages/water-har ... h-columbia

Degree of Hardness Grains per Gallon (gpg) ppm (or mg/L)
Soft <1.0 <17.0
Slightly Hard 1.0-3.5 17.1-60
Moderately Hard 3.5-7.0 60-120
Hard 7.0-10.5 120-180
Very Hard >10.5 >180