Green / Eco-Friendly

Natural Gas Tankless Water Heaters in Ontario..Opinions?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2018 7:19 pm
Apr 5, 2009
140 posts

Natural Gas Tankless Water Heaters in Ontario..Opinions?

I've read that these are the greatest thing ...saves you $$$, endless hotwater, save the environment, space saving, 25yr lifespan...etc. Now, when i ask co-workers and acquaintances who has one installed and is happy with them in their home all i get is that they've looked into it but kept a normal hot water tank. Anyone out there with any real life experience with these things?
3 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1734 posts
It is basically just for the endless hot water. Get one if you need more hot water capacity and a 50-60G tank is not sufficient.

The cmhc study from 2011 showed NG consumption could drop 40-50% but choosing a tankless does not save you money because NG is cheap and the savings do not cover the upfront cost. 25yr lifespan is not an advantage because you could buy two tanks in that time frame and still come out slightly ahead...any saving is lost if you move to a new house too.
Mar 15, 2017
8 posts
I bought a Navien NPE-210A tankless hot water heater back in December 2016. I also read that CMHC study prior to that purchase. Here's the 4-1-1. (hint: the CMHC study is out to lunch)

If you are looking for more space in your basement, it's great. I love having it on the wall. I don't have to shut it off while I'm out of town (used to do that with the tank, in case it blew up).

If you love endless hot water, it's great. That being said, my 12 year old son has turned into a "shower diva" as there are no repercussions to using lots of water. Keep that in mind if you have teenagers.

You have to wait 10-20 seconds (assuming shower on 2nd floor and tankless in the basement) for the hot water to arrive. It takes longer for the hot water to arrive versus a tank. What you save on gas, you're paying in extra water/sewage costs.

If you're looking to save tons of natural gas, buy insulation for your home instead. Much better bang for your buck. Attic to R60 will save you way more nat gas than a tankless ever will.

The upfront cost of a tankless versus buying a good name tank doesn't justify the natural gas savings. You either want the space, or the endless hot water. If that's not important to you, buy a good name tank, and save your money. Use the money you saved to bump up your insulation. GreenON (if you're in Ontario) is giving you incentive to do it as well.

I figure I'm saving maybe high single digits (%) on my natural gas usage for hot water now that I'm tankless. Hope my insight helps!
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1789 posts
If you're not paying for it (e.g. it came installed in your apartment you're renting), they're pretty cool; unlimited hot water, and not hard on your wallet. They're also really good if they're servicing a lot of people (my dad's rental has one servicing 8 units; cleaned up the utility room considerably, so he only has one HWT instead of 6) .. or maybe if you have like 6 kids who have zero respect for water conservation.

If you have to pay to install it, the costs are extremely high. As well, the pancake issue essentially means you still "need" a small HWT anyways. The savings aren't astronomical, because HWTs don't really use much gas anyways.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.