Home & Garden

Natural Toothpaste ~ NO Fluoride + NO Glycerin?!?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2011 10:27 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 29, 2010
649 posts
24 upvotes
London

Natural Toothpaste ~ NO Fluoride + NO Glycerin?!?

I'm looking for a natural toothpaste / tooth powder / tooth soap with NO FLUORIDE and NO GLYCERIN. I did order the Eco-Dent ExtraBrite toothpowder but i question its effectiveness. I am considering ordering the EcoDent Daily Brush (without calcium peroxide) to give it a fair chance but if there is a better toothpaste out there I'm open to use it.

I dont care about taste or that it is easy to use; convenience like I'm a 5 year old kid is absolutely unnecessary. Just work. After brushing for several months I dont want to discover cavities due to it lacking any protective qualities for my enamel, so please no "snake-oil" products.

Your recommendations. I'm willing to order online, outside Canada.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2241 posts
135 upvotes
not sure but have you looked at Toms and Green Beaver?

They may have the glycerin, not sure..
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7105 posts
651 upvotes
i would try a different thread. Personal health or food.
May 13, 2009
77 posts
2 upvotes
Fluoride is the only thing that prevents cavities. It is like an "antibiotic" against Streptococcus mutans, the bug that causes dental carries. Why do you want one that does not have fluroide?
Aug 30, 2008
106 posts
9 upvotes
Earth
What is your reasoning about no Glycerin?
Nov 27, 2009
41 posts
4 upvotes
Curious, what part of Canada are you from? If you're in the great lakes area you should be aware that the ground water here has more natural fluoride in it than what most places would add to it, and they actually remove some fluoride to get it back to regulation levels. Either way when you're brushing your teeth you're getting fluoride, unless you're using RO water or something. I can understand your desire to avoid fluoride based on recent studies about it, just thought I'd point out that it's very hard to avoid in this area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
649 posts
24 upvotes
London
Glycerin makes re-mineralization more difficult for teeth.

I had the same thought about Fluoride and cavity prevention that is why i am more interested in Xylitol as an alternative cavity fighter. Sadly Xylitol and no-glycerin are a hard combo to find.

I am located in St. Thomas.
Aug 30, 2008
106 posts
9 upvotes
Earth
Borrowed from a Green Living forum I visit.

Make your own

Super Cleanser
Ingredients:
Hydrogen peroxide (a few drops)
Baking soda
Directions:
Make a paste by combining the two ingredients. Use this paste on your teeth and also gently rub along your gums two times a week.

Toothpaste Recipe
Ingredients:
1/4 tsp peppermint oil
1/4 tsp spearmint
1/4 cup arrowroot
1/4 cup powdered orrisroot
1/4 cup water
1 tsp ground sage
Directions:
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add water until paste is desired thickness / consistency. Store at room temperature in a tightly covered jar.
Substitute 1/2 tsp each of oil of cinnamon and oil of cloves for peppermint/spearmint if desired.

Old Fashioned Tooth Powder
2 Tbsp dried lemon or orange rind
1/4 cup baking soda
2 Tsp salt
Place rinds in food processor, grind until peel becomes a fine powder. Add baking soda and salt then process a few seconds more until you have a fine powder. Store in an airtight tin or jar. Dip moistened toothbrush into mixture, brush as usual.

Loretta's Toothpaste
1 Tsp baking soda,
1/4 Tsp hydrogen peroxide
1 drop oil of peppermint
Mix to make a paste, dip toothbrush into mixture, brush as usual.

Here is how I made my homemade toothpaste:

2 tablespoons coconut oil
3 tablespoons baking soda
1/2 small packet of stevia powder
20-25 drops of peppermint oil*

1. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl, using a fork.

*Add about half of the amount of peppermint oil to start, and test the toothpaste to see how much you want/like. I used NOW brand peppermint oil, and ended up stopping at 25 drops which is still not as strong as I am used to, though it does taste nice and minty! Julie noted in her instructions that using part spearmint oil will make the toothpaste not as "hot" as using all peppermint oil.

Vanilla & Rose Geranium Toothpaste
1/2 ounce powdered chalk
3 ounces powdered orris root
4 teaspoons of tincture of vanilla
15 drops oil of rose geranium
Honey, enough to make a paste
Combine all ingredients and mix until you have a paste the consistency you like. Store in an airtight container. Use a clean stick (popsicle) to scoop paste onto brush. Store the stick in same container.

Ben Franklin's Toothpaste
Honey
Ground charcoal
Mix into a paste and rub on teeth for whiteness.

Lemon Clove Tooth Cleanser
Mix:
Small amount of finely powdered sage
1 ounce of finely powdered myrrh
1 pound powdered arrow root
3 ounces powdered orris root
20 drops oil of lemon
10 drops oil of cloves
12 drops oil of bergamot
Rub oils into the powdered ingredients until thoroughly mixed

Here’s the new recipe I’ve settled on for now; “parts” equals teaspoons for me:

4 parts baking soda (Or was it six? Dang!)
2 parts hydrogen peroxide
2 parts water
1 part aloe vera
1 part vanilla extract

I’m storing it in a small jar that used to hold yeast, cuz how else can those tiny jars be reused? And yes, I really am using vanilla extract. The peppermint flavor from the last toothpaste recipe was a bit blech for me. In all honesty, I don’t taste much vanilla at all. I might increase it next time.

Homemade Toothpaste Recipe No.3
Take 3 tablespoons of baking soda and 1/2 small packet of stevia powder in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 20-25 drops of peppermint oil (start by adding half the amount and gradually go on adding up to the point you find is suitable for you). Mix the ingredients well and store in a container.

Homemade Toothpaste Recipe No.4
This toothpaste recipe works well for curing periodontal diseases (disease that affects tissues that surround and support the teeth). Take 1/4 cup white cosmetic clay in a bowl and add 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/8 cup finely ground sea salt, 20 drops tincture of myrrh, 8 drops tea-tree essential oil, 8 drops thyme essential oil, 1/2 cup vegetable glycerin. Mix it well and store in a cool and dry place away from bright light.

Homemade Toothpaste Recipe No.5
Take 1/2 cup baking soda in a large bowl and mix 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 6 packets of stevia or xylitol sweetener, 1/2 teaspoon borax (20 Mule Team Brand), 2 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide 3%, 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel, 1 tablespoon coconut oil, 4 drops frankincense oil, 4 drops cinnamon cassia oil, 30 drops peppermint oil. Process all ingredients in a blender until the mixture appears slightly foamy. Store the paste in a clean container.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
649 posts
24 upvotes
London
Very impressive list of DIY toothopaste.

MUCH APPRECIATED!

How long have you used the DIY toothpaste? Any problems considering no fluoride? Does your mouth feel scummier sooner than if you used commercial toothpaste?
× < >