• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2018 9:26 am
[OP]
Nov 7, 2009
63 posts
11 upvotes

50% OFF Naturelle 100% Organic Latex Mattresses!! HOT

Hey guys,

I was in the market for a 100% latex mattress for me and my wife. I found a 50% off sale by Naturelle! For 100% organic latex mattress!! IF you have been looking you know these mattresses are VERY expensive, typically $3000 and above. There are quite a few models being offered by Naturelle that are much cheaper, you can get a ~Green Tea~ bed for $1500 (Queen Size) and even cheaper for smaller sizes. Here is a direct link to the different beds being offered: https://www.naturelleorganicbeds.ca/onl ... s-c9327566

Here`s some background into our context and maybe it might be that way for you to:

We were originally going to go with a bed in a box style mattress like Endy/Casper/Novosbed, etc etc but we did alot more research and found out there could be health hazards from the foams. There are no longitudinal studies done on the foams and we definitely didn`t want any off-gassing to occur in our home. So we set out looking for 100% latex mattresses. There are several companies operating in this space and they are as follows:
  • Dormio
  • Naturelle (company in the deal)
  • Somasleep
  • Obasan (seems to be owned by Somasleep)
  • Essentia

Now there are other brands that offer 100% natural latex BUT you have to be careful because they only advertise ~100% natural latex~ for the top layer. Then the bottom layer is a biofoam layer which still will have a blend of petrochemicals in it.

After having spent a significant amount of time looking at 100% natural latex mattresses, we had a budget of $1500-1700 and didn`t want to go over that. So far Naturelle seems to be the cheapest right now. And the company says their 100% natural latex is Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) certified (The industry best not the CERTIPUR certification junk that I`ve read about). One should verify the certificate anyways.

I don`t know if Naturelle has the GOLS certificate issued directly under their name. What I`ve found in this industry is that companies in this space (like Naturelle, Dormio or Somasleep) the GOLS certificate is NOT made to their name, it is made to the factory in other countries like Sri Lanka for example, that manufacture the rubber latex and these manufacturers become suppliers to companies like Naturelle, Somasleep, etc.

I think out of the companies I listed above, only Essentia has the certificate issued directly to their name. BUT Essentia is offering 100% natural latex mattresses with foam latex (they say somehow that they have managed to make 100% pure latex as a foam and I dont understand how thats possible but anyways thats besides the point.)

Have you bought a 100% latex mattress? Share your thoughts!
Last edited by Hydraulics101 on Aug 27th, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Share:
29 replies
Sep 16, 2013
422 posts
157 upvotes
SW ON
Is it a new way of contraception?
Oct 9, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
I'm very confused but very intrigued.

My wife and I are in the market for a new mattress.
Thanks, my research begins
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2540 posts
1761 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
It's a shady company I came across when I was doing my research a few years ago. Try to buy from local foam suppliers or even Ikea's latex mattresses instead of these guys.

More discussion here: https://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... ml?start=0

Check your craigslist postings too. Latex usually lasts for several decades and is bug free.
Mar 1, 2017
162 posts
37 upvotes
Aren’t shills banned?
[OP]
Nov 7, 2009
63 posts
11 upvotes
Nikhilvoid, your link doesnt mention Naturelle? I see other company's like Nature's bedding. I'm genuinely curious and want to know if Naturelle is suspect or if it's legit. It seems very difficult to sense in the latex mattress industry. A few things checked out that's why I think it seems legit but am keeping an open mind.

Here's some more stuff I found out:

When I called Naturelle today, I asked the gentleman where he gets his products from. He said Latex Green is his manufacturer and Arpicofoam is also their supplier. I did some more investigative research and it turns out that there's four big manufacturers in the 100% natural latex industry. Coco Latex, Latex Green, Arpicofoam, and Eco-Latex. What he said about suppliers seems to match up with what I've read thus far on this topic...unless he's just making up the suppliers.

Their website says the following: "We Do NOT have any Foam or Bio / soy foam , Glues or additives in our Mattresses, Only Certified 100% Natural latex."

I asked him the following questions. His answer follows.

QUESTIONS:

1) Is EACH layer of your mattress 100% natural latex? Because we don’t want ANY bio foam in the mattress period. Or is the latex only for the top, and that the bottom layers have some bio-foam being used underneath the latex topper? Yes, each layer is certified with GOLS, oeko tex (95%) and carbon neutral.

2) Are there ANY glues OR bonds holding any of the latex layers in your beds together? No.

3) Is there ANY off gassing at ALL? in the bed? We dont want ANY smells please. No off-gassing at all.

4) How long until the bed (queen size) can be picked up? 2 weeks.

5) Are returns allowed? No but you do get 1 year to change the firmness of the latex if you buy a firm mattress and want something softer or if you got a softer mattress and want something more firm.

6) Is there a zip cover and if so what is it made of? Yes there is a zip cover and its 100% cotton.

7) How long is the sale? End of the month. (My comment: In the mattress industry it's common for there to be sales all the time BUT I dont know if it gets down to 50% off like what's happening in this sale).

I also looked at Dormio and Somasleep. So it seems like some of Dormio's beds are made by Somassleep (their Premium line), and Dormio's legacy collection line is made by a company called Snugsleep. Snugsleep is based out in B.C. ...I tried to see if I could order from them directly but they only deal wholesale unfortunately.

Also, Nikhilvoid...you mentioned getting a natural latex bed from Ikea. I went to Ikea a few weeks ago to do just that. I saw their Mongongva latex bed. What I learned is that only 85% of it is natural latex, and the other 15% is synthetic latex. Also, according to this safe mattress guide: https://gimmethegoodstuff.org/safe-prod ... attresses/

The guide says avoid IKEA. The guide doesn't mention anything about ANY of the brands I listed above (except Essentia which somehow was in the "OK" category.)

I'm just trying to do my own well informed research because I do not want (nor do I want my wife) to sleep on petro chemicals or to have any adverse health effects down the road.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2540 posts
1761 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Hey, that's great that you're doing the research. It took me a few months to get what I wanted. Naturelle and Nature's Sleep is the same, I believe. And they have the same sale at all times.

Yes, Ikea is not a great choice, but it's better than Naturelle. And Ikea offers free returns. Latex Green is a good, reputable manufacturer, but this retailer has been dishonest in the past: https://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... html#78679
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1637 posts
909 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 8:43 pm
It's a shady company I came across when I was doing my research a few years ago. Try to buy from local foam suppliers or even Ikea's latex mattresses instead of these guys.

More discussion here: https://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... ml?start=0

Check your craigslist postings too. Latex usually lasts for several decades and is bug free.
The Ikea latex mattresses are cheap, but they aren't 100% natural
Nov 29, 2006
808 posts
167 upvotes
What's wrong with the Ikea's Latex Mattress? It seems like it's a really solid buy with 85% Natural Latex and 15% Synthetic. I believe Rocky Mountain used to make them for Ikea (Morgongava) but I don't know if they still make it for them.

Rocky Mountain is a really solid manufacturer as well...
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2540 posts
1761 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
ktkn wrote:
Aug 28th, 2018 6:16 pm
What's wrong with the Ikea's Latex Mattress? It seems like it's a really solid buy with 85% Natural Latex and 15% Synthetic. I believe Rocky Mountain used to make them for Ikea (Morgongava) but I don't know if they still make it for them.

Rocky Mountain is a really solid manufacturer as well...
Not much wrong. They are kept compressed unlike other latex mattresses and that may affect their longevity adversely. And not 100% natural. Good alternative in my opinion because synthetic latex will still be better than non-latex options.

I'd get the Ikea latex mattress as a firm foundation, if that's still available.
Nov 29, 2006
808 posts
167 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote:
Aug 28th, 2018 6:30 pm
Not much wrong. They are kept compressed unlike other latex mattresses and that may affect their longevity adversely. And not 100% natural. Good alternative in my opinion because synthetic latex will still be better than non-latex options.

I'd get the Ikea latex mattress as a firm foundation, if that's still available.
Curious.. how do you know they are kept compressed? I thought they weren't... I tried looking (albeit briefly) online but couldn't find anything. I'm about to recommend this mattress to a friend's toddler who is getting their first bed, and I want to make sure not to misinform them!
Mar 1, 2008
615 posts
28 upvotes
We bought our mattress from Soma (near Yorkdale mall) a few years ago. I would highly recommend going in person to try out various mattress. I found the customer service to be excellent and we ended up buying a GreenSleep mattress. Most organic mattresses are made in the US but there are a couple (including Greensleelp that are made in Canada) which is helpful in terms of the price being competitive.
https://www.somasleep.ca/brands/
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2540 posts
1761 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
ktkn wrote:
Aug 28th, 2018 6:34 pm
Curious.. how do you know they are kept compressed? I thought they weren't... I tried looking (albeit briefly) online but couldn't find anything. I'm about to recommend this mattress to a friend's toddler who is getting their first bed, and I want to make sure not to misinform them!
My bad. Looks like their 100% latex mattresses are not compressed but their hybrid latex mattresses are.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1731 posts
223 upvotes
Burlington
FINALLY... A Vegan friendly mattress.

/s