Sports & Recreation

NBA 2016-2017: wake me up when the finals begin

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2017 9:47 pm
Jan 16, 2017
20 posts
4 upvotes
The match-up I have been waiting for 3 years. San Antonio Spurs vs Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference Finals. Let's Go Spurs!
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18792 posts
1306 upvotes
jasonsioco wrote:
May 12th, 2017 8:11 am
The match-up I have been waiting for 3 years. San Antonio Spurs vs Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference Finals. Let's Go Spurs!
Yeah, this should be a good series.......

Pops vs Kerr/Brown...good coaches that will be adjusting strategies like chessmasters!!

Veteran team vs. young gunzz...

Too bad Parker is out...would have been nice to see him battle Steph and Thompson....

Hoping LA is feeling good and ready to go...will need monster performances from him....and hoping Kawhi's ankle is feeling better...needs these 2 for a competitive series!
Apr 14, 2017
149 posts
36 upvotes
DT Calgary
I could've called Spurs/Warriors in the West finals and Cleveland making the NBA finals 3 years ago. YAWN.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
1785 posts
449 upvotes
Global Village
jasonsioco wrote:
May 12th, 2017 8:11 am
I smell a sweep by the Warriors... and it stinks.
Jan 17, 2011
198 posts
11 upvotes
scoper wrote:
May 12th, 2017 11:09 am
I smell a sweep by the Warriors... and it stinks.
Sweep? maybe not but I agree it will be Warriors easy win for sure!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5608 posts
1175 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:
May 12th, 2017 9:02 am
Yeah, this should be a good series.......

Pops vs Kerr/Brown...good coaches that will be adjusting strategies like chessmasters!!

Veteran team vs. young gunzz...

Too bad Parker is out...would have been nice to see him battle Steph and Thompson....

Hoping LA is feeling good and ready to go...will need monster performances from him....and hoping Kawhi's ankle is feeling better...needs these 2 for a competitive series!
Popovich is overrated and out of touch on player rotations.
His substitutions often cost the Spurs key victories in the last few playoff years.

His most costly error:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/06/2 ... slip-away/

The Spurs almost certainly would have another title if Popovich did not sub out Tim Duncan when the Spurs were up 5
points with less than 30 seconds to go vs Miami in game 6 2013.

A lot of Miami Heat fans famously left the building when the Spurs were up 5 with 28.2 seconds left.
After Duncan left, Miami scored. On another key possession Bosh got the long rebound, passed it to Ray Allen for the game tying 3.
Game 6 went to overtime where Miami would win, and Miami would go on to win game 7 too.

If Duncan is out there anywhere near Bosh, Bosh most likely does not secure that rebound for the pass.
At the time, Duncan was still one of the top rebounders, and there was no reason to rest him.

Last edited by XFactor11 on May 12th, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Temp. Banned
Nov 25, 2010
3989 posts
575 upvotes
Jesus Christ. Washington has heart. Unlike the CRaptors.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4208 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
iamskyhigh wrote:
May 12th, 2017 10:48 pm
Jesus Christ. Washington has heart. Unlike the CRaptors.
I say unlike Game 6 Rockets
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4292 posts
704 upvotes
Mississauga
Why does the Spurs-Warriors series start on Sunday? NBA trying to screw the Spurs over?

Spurs game 6 was Thursday, so potentially game 7, would be tonight (Saturday), but usually an extra day for game 7, so Sunday. So the soonest Game 1 should be is Tuesday.

Meanwhile, game 7 of Celtics/Wizards is on Monday, after Conference Finals already start on Sunday. And then Spurs-Warriors will play Game 2 on Tuesday, before ECF even plays Game 1.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5608 posts
1175 upvotes
The Spurs sit and rest enough during the regular season. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Scheduled dates get moved up all the time. Had that series gone to 7 games, then game one of the GSW vs opponent probably would have started on Tuesday.
If all series in round 2 ended in 4 games, the NBA would not wait a week to start round 3.

kenchau wrote:
May 13th, 2017 1:56 pm
Why does the Spurs-Warriors series start on Sunday? NBA trying to screw the Spurs over?

Spurs game 6 was Thursday, so potentially game 7, would be tonight (Saturday), but usually an extra day for game 7, so Sunday. So the soonest Game 1 should be is Tuesday.

Meanwhile, game 7 of Celtics/Wizards is on Monday, after Conference Finals already start on Sunday. And then Spurs-Warriors will play Game 2 on Tuesday, before ECF even plays Game 1.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4292 posts
704 upvotes
Mississauga
XFactor11 wrote:
May 13th, 2017 8:35 pm
The Spurs sit and rest enough during the regular season. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Scheduled dates get moved up all the time. Had that series gone to 7 games, then game one of the GSW vs opponent probably would have started on Tuesday.
If all series in round 2 ended in 4 games, the NBA would not wait a week to start round 3.
I get that, but it should be based on the entire round finishing not just for one conference or what have you.

Do you not think it's strange that they will have played two games before Celtics/Wizards vs Cavs play their first game?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
1785 posts
449 upvotes
Global Village
kenchau wrote:
May 13th, 2017 1:56 pm

It's because ABC wants to show that game on their Sunday slot.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5441 posts
239 upvotes
Calgary
ji2o0k wrote:
May 14th, 2017 4:24 pm
whoa - GSW looking extremely rusty - long layoff wasn't good for the crew....

Spurs come out red-hot and ready to play baby!!!
ya spurs are playing great bball esp without Parker...edit: and now Kawhi
Last edited by markj on May 14th, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
1785 posts
449 upvotes
Global Village
Dirty play by Zaza on Kawhi. If you take away the shooter's ability to land safely you should get ejected.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel