Sports & Recreation

NBA 2022/23: Let the KD Saga begin

Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2009
1566 posts
254 upvotes
What the heck is Boston doing? If they wanted a PG for the future, why not just keep Markelle Fultz instead of trading down for another forward???

IT may have an injury history but Kyrie isn't exactly a model of being healthy himself. Boston gave up ALOT for Kyrie and they no longer have Avery Bradley to cover up their perimeter weakness. IT and Kyrie defensively is a wash

Cleveland killed the deal with the Brooklyn pick
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4253 posts
1078 upvotes
Kyrie for IT is a wash. Cleveland won this deal by getting Brooklyn's unprotected 1st round pick and Crowder who will only add to Cleveland's defense. Oh and yeah Cleveland just saved a ton of money from luxury tax payments.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Fabfive wrote: Makes no difference. They aren't beating GSW to me it doesnt move the needle much but I guess Kyrie had to be traded.

IT is a liability on D, GSW is going to expose that and take advantage of it. How is Cleveland going to hide him on D?

He's also looking to get paid...is Gilbert gonna fork out money for both LBJ and IT?? At least they have the Nets pick to build on if those two decide to walk or Gilbert doesnt pay up.
This wasn't a trade focused on catching up with GSW, rather just to get the most value for Kyrie. And that, they most definitely did.

Does it move the needle much, not immensely, but still improves them that much more. Isaiah has shown he can carry a team and is clutch in fourth quarter, so him and Kyrie are essentially a wash at this point (Kyrie still has upside of course as he's still so young), but in the prior season, when LeBron's sat out, Kyrie failed to carry the team, so there's that.

Defense is also a wash between Isaiah and Kyrie - non-existent. But throwing Crowder into the starting lineup improves the defense a lot by comparison and frees up LeBron that much more defensively to roam. Would it change the dynamics against a GSW? I think so.

As for the money, they are under the assumption LeBron is leaving, it was the worst kept secret. If anything, maybe this trade gives them at least a very long shot to keep him, but still insignificant. The whole "Kyrie just wants to have his own team" rationale can be legitimate, but a partial coverup to the fact that he probably knows LeBron is leaving, so wanted out.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1447 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: This wasn't a trade focused on catching up with GSW, rather just to get the most value for Kyrie. And that, they most definitely did.

Does it move the needle much, not immensely, but still improves them that much more. Isaiah has shown he can carry a team and is clutch in fourth quarter, so him and Kyrie are essentially a wash at this point (Kyrie still has upside of course as he's still so young), but in the prior season, when LeBron's sat out, Kyrie failed to carry the team, so there's that.

Defense is also a wash between Isaiah and Kyrie - non-existent. But throwing Crowder into the starting lineup improves the defense a lot by comparison and frees up LeBron that much more defensively to roam. Would it change the dynamics against a GSW? I think so.

As for the money, they are under the assumption LeBron is leaving, it was the worst kept secret. If anything, maybe this trade gives them at least a very long shot to keep him, but still insignificant. The whole "Kyrie just wants to have his own team" rationale can be legitimate, but a partial coverup to the fact that he probably knows LeBron is leaving, so wanted out.
But isnt the point of making moves to appease Lebron so they can compete with the GSW's and Houston super teams out west? The end goal is still to win a chip considering that window is slowly closing with Kyrie wanting out and LBJ eventually bolting.

They got flexibility financially if LBJ leaves and they dont resign IT and a draft pick to boot. I'm not saying its not a good haul for Kyrie but I still dont think they are beating GS.

Regardless this offseason has been A+++ so many moves, so many new players on new teams. Cant wait for it to start
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
Its a great deal for both sides. They both won.

Cavs got rid of Kyrie since he doesnt want to play with Lelbron and got IT, Crowder + pick for the future. They just got deeper.

Boston got a young name brand superstar that they can truly build around. Kyrie could be like Paul Pierce. Celtics has a legit fanbase unlike Cavs. Kyrie went to a great home. They dont fool around.

They both have different goals. I think they achieved it. Next season will be amazing to watch.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
kevindurant1 wrote: Its a great deal for both sides. They both won.

Cavs got rid of Kyrie since he doesnt want to play with Lelbron and got IT, Crowder + pick for the future. They just got deeper.

Boston got a young name brand superstar that they can truly build around. Kyrie could be like Paul Pierce. Celtics has a legit fanbase unlike Cavs. Kyrie went to a great home. They dont fool around.

They both have different goals. I think they achieved it. Next season will be amazing to watch.
You just hope for Boston's sake, they can re-sign him when the time comes. He preferred/wanted to go to NY because that's where his dad is.

With that said, at least Boston is much closer to NY than Cleveland at a short 4hr drive, so it at least, wouldn't be a dealbreaker.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
I agree, Bradley would have been a great complement to Kyrie. Kyrie and Hayward improve your scoring but losing Avery, Crowder make you worse defensively, softer. They need a scoring wing who can defend, somebody like Gerald Henderson would be a good fit if he can get healthy.
What if Paul George tells OKC he is not resigning there, they will have to trade him mid season and Boston would be in a great position to get him too.
In 2 years, 3 years Boston could be the superpower team just as Lebron and the Warriors decline, even if they don't have a good season in 17/18.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
kenchau wrote: You just hope for Boston's sake, they can re-sign him when the time comes. He preferred/wanted to go to NY because that's where his dad is.

With that said, at least Boston is much closer to NY than Cleveland at a short 4hr drive, so it at least, wouldn't be a dealbreaker.
No one really knows the future but Boston would be stupid to say no to this trade. All they had to give up was really IT(3 years older) . Crowder is quite replaceable. They also hoarded enough picks, they can afford to get rid of one.

IT have tons of heart and is a great player but he is 28. Kyrie is 25.

At the end of the day, the east is easy if you have the stars. Kyrie + superstar = 1st or 2nd seed.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
kevindurant1 wrote: No one really knows the future but Boston would be stupid to say no to this trade. All they had to give up was really IT(3 years older) . Crowder is quite replaceable. They also hoarded enough picks, they can afford to get rid of one.

IT have tons of heart and is a great player but he is 28. Kyrie is 25.

At the end of the day, the east is easy if you have the stars. Kyrie + superstar = 1st or 2nd seed.
Agreed about thinking it from Boston's side, if your decision is not to pay IT the big $ to keep him could you have gotten a bigger return for him than as a key part of a package for Kyrie freaking Irving? I don't think so. IT needs an offensive system built around him to thrive and that just doesn't work in a Lebron-centred team. The Cavs will undoubtedly try to trade IT mid-season rather than pay him the big $ necessary to keep him (he is the worst PG in the league defensively), we'll see if they can get more than a 2nd round pick for him.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2014
2206 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TheRealVinsanity wrote: Looks like Thomas failed his physical.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.yahoo.c ... 10896.html
Wow that sucks, bad for Kyrie but worse for Isiah Thomas

His hip must be in really bad shape to have Cleveland think twice about doing the deal. If they void the deal, Isiah Thomas is going to be in a much more awkward situation than Kyrie lol.

Ainge mentioning Isiah could be one of the Celtics great - only to deal him because Ainge doesn't want to max him out next summer, and doesn't see him in Celtics future plans.

Kyrie will still be shopped around
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
I totally forgot that Hayward was with the Celtics.

They are rolling now. One more guy and they are legit. They have enough picks/young guys to put up for trade or they could go for PG/Cousins after next season.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
kevindurant1 wrote: I totally forgot that Hayward was with the Celtics.

They are rolling now. One more guy and they are legit. They have enough picks/young guys to put up for trade or they could go for PG/Cousins after next season.
No need. They have Tatum and they have time. This kid is good!
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Tracy McGrady has been elected first ballot into the Basketball Hall of Fame despite injuries making the last 5 or 6 seasons of his career mediocre.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tracy- ... 29765.html

Overall stats: 15 seasons in the NBA. Entered the league at age 18 directly out of high school.
19.6 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.2 assists, 1.2 steals, 0.9 blocks per game, on 43.4% shooting overall, 33.8% from 3 point range, and a 74.6% Free Throw shooting percentage.
7 time All-Star, and 2 time NBA points per game leader.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... atr01.html

The Basketball and Hockey Halls of Fame are comparably easier to get inducted into.
Both are not as elusive as entering the MLB Baseball Hall of Fame where you have to be one of the all-time GOATs throughout an entire career.

The Hockey Hall of Fame and the Basketball Hall of Fame are less selective about who enters that Hall of Greats.
Despite all that, congratulations to T-Mac.

Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
XFactor11 wrote: Tracy McGrady has been elected first ballot into the Basketball Hall of Fame despite injuries making the last 5 or 6 seasons of his career mediocre.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tracy- ... 29765.html

Overall stats: 15 seasons in the NBA. Entered the league at age 18 directly out of high school.
19.6 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.2 assists, 1.2 steals, 0.9 blocks per game, on 43.4% shooting overall, 33.8% from 3 point range, and a 74.6% Free Throw shooting percentage.
7 time All-Star, and 2 time NBA points per game leader.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... atr01.html

The Basketball and Hockey Halls of Fame are comparably easier to get inducted into.
Both are not as elusive as entering the MLB Baseball Hall of Fame where you have to be one of the all-time GOATs throughout an entire career.

The Hockey Hall of Fame and the Basketball Hall of Fame are less selective about who enters that Hall of Greats.
Despite all that, congratulations to T-Mac.
His speech was really good, I thought.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)