Sports & Recreation

NBA 2017-2018: congrats GSW. where do we go from here?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 12:33 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
1878 posts
465 upvotes
Global Village
TheRealVinsanity wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 2:44 pm
What are the Knicks doing??????

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1987 ... ffer-sheet
No free agents wanted to go there so they're trying the "make an offer you shouldn't match" game with restricted FA's. If Atlanta matches tomorrow they'll probably make a similar offer to Simmons and hope Spurs don't match.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1416 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 9:49 pm
Kevin Durant took a massive paycut to re-sign with the Warriors.
2 years, 53 million.

Durant is being paid less per year than Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan.
This is exactly why the NBA salaries and their joke soft cap is going to kill that sport. The TOP 10 players in the league should be paid accordingly and every other player should be lower...
Neither Lowry or DeRozan are top 5 players in their position, but because the team has the joke cap room, they over pay.

No other team wanted Lowry.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18945 posts
1338 upvotes
Knicks are crazy for offering 4yr $71M to Hardaway Jr....dood was ok....but really?

Salaries are out of wack and only the owners have themselves to blame. Look out in a couple of years (or whenever the CBA needs to be re-upped) and the owners threaten lockout since the salaries are "too high"....even though franchise worth is also skyrocketing.

Interesting thing will be to see the TV revenue......ESPN had to lay off people - more people are streaming etc....something is going to have to give....
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4450 posts
773 upvotes
Mississauga
ji2o0k wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 5:13 pm
Knicks are crazy for offering 4yr $71M to Hardaway Jr....dood was ok....but really?

Salaries are out of wack and only the owners have themselves to blame. Look out in a couple of years (or whenever the CBA needs to be re-upped) and the owners threaten lockout since the salaries are "too high"....even though franchise worth is also skyrocketing.

Interesting thing will be to see the TV revenue......ESPN had to lay off people - more people are streaming etc....something is going to have to give....
I think the owners have been laughing to the bank for years. It's about time players get a bigger share of the money. By no means do I think pro athletes are worth that much, but the owners shouldn't be the ones pocketing all the money either. The NBA as a business is just raking the cash in, so it's only fitting that it gets shared with the athletes as well.

It was a 9-year $24 Billion TV deal that the NBA signed with ESPN and Turner that kicked in prior to the 2016-17 season. $24 Billion!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18945 posts
1338 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 5:21 pm
I think the owners have been laughing to the bank for years. It's about time players get a bigger share of the money. By no means do I think pro athletes are worth that much, but the owners shouldn't be the ones pocketing all the money either. The NBA as a business is just raking the cash in, so it's only fitting that it gets shared with the athletes as well.

It was a 9-year $24 Billion TV deal that the NBA signed with ESPN and Turner that kicked in prior to the 2016-17 season. $24 Billion!!!
so very true....the owners are the really winners here (and have been for years).....

Which makes it sad what Dirk is giving up to stay with the Mavs - I kinda think Cuban is taking advantage of the situation to underpay Dirk cuz he knows Dirk cherishes the "single franchise for entire career" carrot.....this is the 2nd time that Dirk has taken a hometown discount for Cuban...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6711 posts
197 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 5:37 pm
so very true....the owners are the really winners here (and have been for years).....

Which makes it sad what Dirk is giving up to stay with the Mavs - I kinda think Cuban is taking advantage of the situation to underpay Dirk cuz he knows Dirk cherishes the "single franchise for entire career" carrot.....this is the 2nd time that Dirk has taken a hometown discount for Cuban...
Dirk is loved by the fans. He is like Duncan to the Spurs. Cuban isnt stupid. If Dirk asks for some money after he retires he will get it.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2081 posts
927 upvotes
Vancouver
scoper wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 1:23 pm
I don't get it, why would the Spurs renounce Jonathon Simmons when he was restricted and they could have matched any offer? They need that guy back.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1999 ... free-agent
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-spurs-a ... 54764.html

"In other words, this was probably just a favor to Simmons. It’s hard to see an advantage the Spurs gained by rescinding his qualifying offer."
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18945 posts
1338 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 2:58 pm
Dirk is loved by the fans. He is like Duncan to the Spurs. Cuban isnt stupid. If Dirk asks for some money after he retires he will get it.
hope you are right - it would be nice if Cuban sets up Dirk for life with a cushy front office job.....kinda like how Riley does it with former Heat greats like Zo etc...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6711 posts
197 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 8:51 pm
hope you are right - it would be nice if Cuban sets up Dirk for life with a cushy front office job.....kinda like how Riley does it with former Heat greats like Zo etc...
Dirk is a legend and Cuban would catch hell if he isnt treated right. Its hilarious because I think I read somewhere that Dirk was making fun of barnes and how he should be paying for his dinner because that was Dirk's money they used to pay him.

Its sounds hilarious. I hope that story is true. Face With Tears Of Joy
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Feb 13, 2015
835 posts
116 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Whenever Dirk is talked about in this forum all I can think of is Psubs believing that Dirk would come Toronto 2 years ago via. his fantasy trades.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1252 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Cuban will probably give Dirk some type of ownership role after his career is done. It's only fitting.

At least he can retire and say he was a champion unlike most superstars.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
1878 posts
465 upvotes
Global Village
I know it's just summer league bur Dennis Smith Jr is making the Knicks and the other teams that passed on him look like idiots and the Mavs like geniuses.