Sports & Recreation

NBA 2017-2018: congrats GSW. where do we go from here?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 12:13 am
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7187 posts
233 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 9:50 am
The only CP3 we've ever seen is a player that can do it all, but needs the ball in his hands to operate and make everyone else on the floor better. D'Antoni last season, has essentially built Harden's game to be that same type of player.

While we know Harden can function as a SG like he has done all career before D'Antoni, they're not looking to move him back to that type of role...nor does he want to move back to that type of role. He wants the ball in his hand. So it's all going to depend on how well CP3 can operate as a bit more of an off-the-ball scorer at SG, which is not what his game has traditionally been. Not saying spot-up shooting like Klay Thompson...but just that he's not going to get 50% of the clock to operate and do his thing here, like he's used to.

I don't disagree, come playoffs, you need as much talent as you can get. But it still remains to be seen, how well this CP3/Harden pairing can work given the above.
There is a video of him on ESPN where he said he is tired of handling the ball too much. He doesnt want to keep dribbling.

He wants to get on the wing and shoot. Houston gives him this oppurtunity because Harden will hold the ball.

Dont sleep on this team. Harden keeps getting better and better every year too.

They will work it out. They just need to get some more games in.

Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2142 posts
590 upvotes
Global Village
DimsumDeals wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 10:02 am
giannis, what a beast of a first game, he dominated everyone even if its 2 vs 1 down low.
That throwdown over Baynes was sick. He's must-watch TV now.

Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4777 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga
kevindurant1 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 5:17 pm
There is a video of him on ESPN where he said he is tired of handling the ball too much. He doesnt want to keep dribbling.

He wants to get on the wing and shoot. Houston gives him this oppurtunity because Harden will hold the ball.

Fair enough. But it's still going to be a learning process for CP3 because it's contradictory to how he has played his entire career. He even speaks about how he's shooting shots he's never shot before playing pick up all summer. So it's new to him. Is he going to figure it out. Without a doubt, the guy's a genius when it comes to basketball. But there's going to be growing pains.

Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2142 posts
590 upvotes
Global Village
kevindurant1 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 5:17 pm

There is no evidence that CP3 is a good catch and shoot option from the 3. The 4 main things he needs to change is he needs to run more, pass ahead more limiting how long the ball stays in his hands, cut more inside when playing with Harden and focus more on defence than offence. In the playoffs when the game slows down he becomes much more valuable, he'll have control of the ball long enough during the game for Harden to stay fresh for the 4th quarter, when the game is on the line Harden needs to have the ball in his hands on this team.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1316 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Beverley was DOGGING Lonzo all game long and had this guy in cuffs. Welcome to the nba young buck. He can thank his dad for putting that huge target on his back.
Aug 16, 2017
83 posts
9 upvotes
OKC looking good, I loved that westbrook gets more assist stats this time because his teammates (melo, pg) can finish the open look jumpers.. could've been 20ish assist if it weren't for some missed open shots though.. I think this team can at least finish with 55 wins if there will be no serious injuries. they will just get better when chemistry kicks in.

for the lakers, lonzo ball went for just 3 points, awful shooting night. what surprised me more though is that Brandon Ingram continues to suck.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7187 posts
233 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 12:09 am
There is no evidence that CP3 is a good catch and shoot option from the 3. The 4 main things he needs to change is he needs to run more, pass ahead more limiting how long the ball stays in his hands, cut more inside when playing with Harden and focus more on defence than offence. In the playoffs when the game slows down he becomes much more valuable, he'll have control of the ball long enough during the game for Harden to stay fresh for the 4th quarter, when the game is on the line Harden needs to have the ball in his hands on this team.
I think CP3 understands that Harden is the man on this team. He is not trying to compete with him, that is why he chose Houston. He just wants to compete with GS.

He is not going to be like Klay because they are both different players but he can EASILY be a successful SG. He can do that in his sleep. Catch and shoot is one of them but CP3 have many tools. I dont think have to explain how good he is in scoring/passing. He has always been very efficient.

Another thing CP3 adds to this team is that he has heart/grit which Harden lacks when pressure comes. Just looking at the Rockets now, they already look like they have that extra fire that CP3 brings to the team.

I highly doubt that him and Harden will have issues. They will be a great team but I dont think they are good enough to beat GS until Harden starts playing defense.
Fair enough. But it's still going to be a learning process for CP3 because it's contradictory to how he has played his entire career.
Thats true but Harden is not a true point guard. They dont really contradict each others game. The only difference is they are changing positions. CP as SG and Harden as PG.

Dantoni system is very guard friendly, anyways.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2142 posts
590 upvotes
Global Village
Fabfive wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 9:01 am
Beverley was DOGGING Lonzo all game long and had this guy in cuffs. Welcome to the nba young buck. He can thank his dad for putting that huge target on his back.
He did Lonzo a favor manhandling him like that opening night, now the expectations are train-wreck low and he can only go up from here. Man that shot of his is so ugly, he's bound to get the Rubio treatment with opposing guards backing off him welcoming those clunkers all night long.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2142 posts
590 upvotes
Global Village
Wait, Cleveland loses to Orlando, OKC loses to Utah and GS loses to Memphis?! What the hell is going on tonight?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4307 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Please tell me you guys saw that amazing OKC vs TWolves Game. That last 30 seconds or so is one emotional roller coaster that will give Toronto a collective heart attack if the Raptors experienced what OKC just did.

Amazing game.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
5678 posts
154 upvotes
Why are the Suns firing their coach? I thought they were tanking this season.
Aug 16, 2017
83 posts
9 upvotes
Giannis is currently the league's leading scorer with 38.3 ppg at 67.2 FG%

amazing @_@

he needs help though, the bucks need to do something or else they'll tire this guy out. it is evident in that cavs game that they relied on him so much and didn't provide him much help, both on the offensive and defensive end. Thon maker / Greg Monroe can't defend or rebound effectively, maybe they should trade or lose one of them for someone better defensively.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
about Curry getting ejected: I think it would be a good idea if an ejection comes at the last few minutes of a game, you should also be suspended for the next game.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a