Sports & Recreation

NBA 2017-2018 Season Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2018 11:35 pm
Jan 9, 2018
2 posts
scoper wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 3:28 pm
You think getting Deandre means the Rockets can beat this Warriors team in a playoff series?! Hell no.
Only injuries can beat GS this season.
I dont think so, if the rockets are lucky enough with 3 points shot they can beat the warriors in finals.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2563 posts
680 upvotes
Global Village
amats1010 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 1:03 am
I dont think so, if the rockets are lucky enough with 3 points shot they can beat the warriors in finals.
1st welcome to RFD.
2nd it is impossible for these 2 to meet in the finals since they play in the same conference.
3rd even if the Rockets find a 3rd team to take Ryan Andersen's contract and give back a pick + low-salary fillers you can waive (nobody wants that contract) and get Jordan he cant stay on the floor much vs GS since he is an offensive liability who will be tough to keep on the floor when it counts because of poor FT shooting.
4th they could absolutely get lucky enough with shooting 3s and win a game, maybe two but it is highly unlikely they can outshoot GS for 4 games to win a series.

If they do find a desperate taker for Andersen there is another move that would bring them closer to parity with GS imo, trade the Andersen pick + their pick for Paul George, more scoring and defensive length vs KD.
They play this Saturday and Harden is back so it will be interesting to see who guards KD without Ariza there and how well.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2563 posts
680 upvotes
Global Village
Wow, Cousins just beasted vs the Bulls, 44 pts, 5 3-pointers, 24 rebs, 10 assists!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15790 posts
679 upvotes
Stouffville
Lowry and Derozan on the All Star Team... at first i found it interesting that Miami, 4th in the East, had no one on the All Star Team...but then i looked into it a little more and saw how well rounded their team is.. Maybe you could have given it to Whiteside (15 and 12 but has missed 18 games) or possibly Dragic (17 4 and 5) but then i realized how many damn players they have that are averaging 10+ppg...

right now on their team, minimum 30 games played, they have 8 players averaging at least 10+ppg (Dragic, Whiteside, Waiters, Richardson, Tyler Johnson, Wayne Ellington, Olynyk and James Johnson)...not sure I have every seen a team have that many players with 10+ ppg....i do remember one year with the Run and Gun Phoenix suns, they had all 5 of their starters averaging at least 15ppg, which is crazy.. (Nash, Stoudamire, Marion, Joe Johnson and Q-Rich)...looks like Suns did it 2 years after as well.. except it was 5 players but 4 starters (Barbosa did it but wasnt a starter)...
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1398 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
It's a popularity contest and none of those guys on the Heat are "popular" or "household names" so they wont have much appeal to a general audience. Unless you're a hardcore basketball nerd you've never heard of Hassan Whiteside or Goran Dragic.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5241 posts
1080 upvotes
Mississauga
grappos13 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 12:44 am
Lowry and Derozan on the All Star Team... at first i found it interesting that Miami, 4th in the East, had no one on the All Star Team...but then i looked into it a little more and saw how well rounded their team is.. Maybe you could have given it to Whiteside (15 and 12 but has missed 18 games) or possibly Dragic (17 4 and 5) but then i realized how many damn players they have that are averaging 10+ppg...

right now on their team, minimum 30 games played, they have 8 players averaging at least 10+ppg (Dragic, Whiteside, Waiters, Richardson, Tyler Johnson, Wayne Ellington, Olynyk and James Johnson)...not sure I have every seen a team have that many players with 10+ ppg....i do remember one year with the Run and Gun Phoenix suns, they had all 5 of their starters averaging at least 15ppg, which is crazy.. (Nash, Stoudamire, Marion, Joe Johnson and Q-Rich)...looks like Suns did it 2 years after as well.. except it was 5 players but 4 starters (Barbosa did it but wasnt a starter)...
Fabfive wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 9:28 am
It's a popularity contest and none of those guys on the Heat are "popular" or "household names" so they wont have much appeal to a general audience. Unless you're a hardcore basketball nerd you've never heard of Hassan Whiteside or Goran Dragic.
I didn't think Thompson was worthy of a reserve spot.

I was surprised by the Horford selection for reserve. So many other big men putting up big numbers. Maybe it's under the radar, but Dwight Howard has been having a big season...at least based on the fantasy points he was getting me before I traded him haha. And of course Whiteside.

The reserve spots are less of a popularity contest because that's voted on by coaches et al. They know they players.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2563 posts
680 upvotes
Global Village
This Captain's draft is going to be interesting, if Curry stays loyal to Thompson, Green with his top picks Lebron could end up with KD, Greek Freak and Davis + fillers. No way Lebron is picking Love over those guys.
Although Steph could go with a crazy 3-point shooter-based selection, Curry, Thompson, Harden, Lillard, Irving lineup all killing it from the 3.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2012
1051 posts
31 upvotes
NBA All-Star 2018 Rosters Draft Announced- LeBron Takes KD & Stephen Curry Takes Giannis Hundred Points Symbol
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2563 posts
680 upvotes
Global Village
scoper wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 12:29 am
Wow, Cousins just beasted vs the Bulls, 44 pts, 5 3-pointers, 24 rebs, 10 assists!
And just like that he's out for the season... Brutal.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2563 posts
680 upvotes
Global Village
This Boston-GS game was really fun to watch, Steph and Kyrie put on a show.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2410 posts
193 upvotes
Brampton
TheRealVinsanity wrote:
Jan 28th, 2018 12:07 pm
That’s why Steph is more important to the Warriors than KD is.
They kept the ball away from Durant down the stretch. It's Curry's team and they ran plays to get him the ball for the FTs.